Engine blows plug out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine blows plug out?

Hi I have just had an engine failiure where the engine ( Rotax 503 single carb.) has blown the plug clear out of the top of the cylinder head!!! Any one any ideas on what may have caused this??

OH and just to fill in I was on a lesson and the instructor took over , John Teesdale. He calmly changed the lesson from stalls to ex 16a in the sylbus which deals with engine failiure!!!! What a pilot that man is!! I can only hope to acheive his standerd one day.

Engine blows plug out?

This is a common problem with alloy head IF the plugs have not been fitted useing the correct torque setting. A bit difficult to know if you have recently bought 2nd hand, you can only hope for the best and do it right yourself. I know the correct setting often feels light but believe it and DON'T give another little tweek.
    If you have had the misfortune the only real cure is a replacment head. Iv'e used "helicoils" on repairs to heads fitted to motorbikes but personaly I'd not fly with one, at best the embarrasment factor is much higher and that really is the best. It makes good sense to give the aircraft that you trust your neck to the very best that you manage

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

Thanks mate I will go looking for a new head then. I just new this wasnt going to be cheep!!! Cheers Paul.

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

Hiya Probshaw,
        I take it you are based near Rufforth then? funny that, I was convinced you were an Edinburgh lad ;-)

Well I was until I saw you post at 1648hrs and then you became no longer someone who I was cynical of, now you have moved to the realms of being someone who I am sure is just plain unlucky

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

Yep that sound like me!!!! Yes Ilive in leeds and am but an humble student. First engine failiure at the 12 hours stage!!! Dont know which would have been more intresting the lesson on stalls that I didnt have or the engine fail that I did have!!! Cheers Paul

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

Crikey my Flymo has a 46hp engine and it barely cuts the grass

:nono: [/b]

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

HEHE,
              It was a flash 1 flexwing, and has far as I know most of the older flexwings make exalant gliders due to there origins been with the hang glider fratenaty.
              I can also (well I cant yet but it is possible to once I learn!.) put it down in a much smaller space then most 3 axis types. Also its all I can afford due to still waiting for the lottery win, there being no rich relatives to bump off!!!

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

PS, Whats the measurement for the mounting bolts centres on your flymo?

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

:yeah:

The show will be a fantastic place to meet other microlighters and you can be sure that you will meet others that have suffered engine failures :roll:

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

Yes I hope so, I think the club is getting a trip up but if not I will be there on my own. I am just glad that my first engine failiure was while I still had the instructor in the back, I have no doubt that seeing him handle a real one will help me when I have to do it for real myself and on my own!! Any idea where to order a 503 cylinder head from? Any where in England so I can pick up tomorrow? I want to get it fixed again before my next lesson. Cheers Paul.

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

Don't knock the trusty 503 It's a bloody good little unit especialy the twin ignition ones. You just have to hang it on the right aeroplane. Iv'e spent a lot of hours sitting behind mine which is hung on a well known "brick" a TST. This brick has a glide of 7to1, not very differant to the aweful boring spamcans. It gives me 1 up 700fpm and 11 to13lts per hour. The only reasons for having one of the fashionable large 4 strokes are (1) you habitualy cover large distances, (2) you run a school so the maintenance periods are a significant factor (3) you feel impelled to keep up with the "Jones" (4) you have an excess of cash that you need to dispose of.
                      My 503 has provided me with a huge amount of pleasure which is beyond price over the years and I'd remind you of a previous post in which I numbered the aircraft that Iv'e known over the last 4 years that have ended in fields. The majority have been trendy 4strokes and the majority of microlight pilots still fly with 2 stroke units
                      As with most engines good maintenace is the thing, Sharpen your Flymo
                      Ginge
                      Just back from a brillant day of following my little 503 around the sky

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

Jeremy, did you get my PM and E-mails??

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

Hi I can heli coil it my self but I was going on the post near to the top of this thread that said he wouldnt trust it. If the genral feeling is that it is ok then I will helicoil the head. If not then I will call Kieth. Oh and Ginge, dont let on about Petes blunt blades the engine could end up on my flex!!!! Cheers Paul

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

I have a few single plug Cylinder heads as spare's at my workshop. Let me know if you are interested and I can sort out a price and postage for you.

Mark
                            Galaxy Microlights.
                            07841 614577

Comment

Engine blows plug out?

[color=#ff0000>

[b]

:nono:

[b][color=cyan>

Comment

Working...
                              X