Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical requirements?

Hello all,

I remember recently reading about a CAA consultation about dropping the medical requirements for us, as experience has shown that people don't drop out of the sky if they haven't had a medical, and those that have are just as likely as anyone else to drop out of the sky (see the news item the other day of a commercial pilot dying at the controls in America!). So has anyone heard any more about this, or are the wheels in CAA land grinding as slowly as they ever do?

Best regards,

Bob Hood.

P.S. My reason for asking is that I've just turned 65, so for me the medical declaration is annual, and at 50 a pop at my GP's it's expensive, and that's for the single seat option. He refuses point blank to sign for the dual seat option unless I take a full HGV medical! :-(
    XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Medical requirements?

Very much still on the cards Bob. As you say CAA tends to grind slowly. I will see if I can find out more.
    Geoff

Comment

Medical requirements?

Good luck Bob....
      The fee is very hit and miss.
      I had to renew my medical this year for the first time since my original one 10 years ago. Just turned 45.
      I was pleased to read on the envelope "no charge".
      However as my medical history is "complex" I have been asked in the past to attend the surgery so medical students can ask me questions regarding my accident and its effect on my day to day life.
      If I had been charged a fee, perhaps I would also charge the medical students one!
      I really hope it is changed. Especially for single seat pilots.
      If your fit to drive, your fit to fly.

Comment

Medical requirements?

I understand that the CAA proposal for revised medical standards and documentation has been agreed by the CAA Board and is now under development. Even I the CAA are slow I would expect it to be completed before another year goes by Bob.

Comment

Medical requirements?

Geoff,

Excellent news! That's one less cost to worry about, along with the hassle of having to try to get to the surgery when it's open. I work two hours away from where I live, so I don't get to be in my town during opening hours except at weekends, when the surgery is closed. So I either have to take time off work, or hope that the GP will read all the notes with the form I get my wife to drop off at the surgery on her way to work. Last time I took time off from work to take the form in he flatly refused to read the notes. However, as I only fly single seat now, he doesn't try to get me to take the HGV medical any more, just charges me 50 for daring to take up any of his time on signing and stamping my declaration form. :-(

Best regards,

Bob Hood
          XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

Medical requirements?

Just a question. Is it black and white that you have to have medical after 45th birthday or is there a tolerance on the date. Eg Renewed my medical certificate a week ago and it's my birthday next week. Did it that way due to the hassle of getting Health Care Assistant plus Doctor appointment on the same day. By the way - 50 is cheap for medical certificate if my docs is anything to go by.

Comment

Medical requirements?

George,

You don't have to have a medical at all. The whole point of the medical declaration form is that we don't need a medical, just a signature from the GP to confirm that there's nothing in your medical notes to indicate that you're not fit to drive. In the case of the single seat option that means fit to drive a car, but for the dual seat option it means you declare yourself to be fit enough to drive an HGV. For myself I just tick the single seat option as I only fly SSDR nowadays, so don't carry passengers. At this level my GP allows me to do the declaration, but if I wanted to tick the dual seat option he's told me that I must go through the HGV medical before he'll sign the form. This ignores the advice of the BMA and the CAA, but is my GP's own choice, and as our medical forms are entirely private, he can charge what he likes for the signature.

Best regards,

Bob Hood

Comment

Medical requirements?

George,

I probably didn't make it clear that for the dual seat option you don't need to take a medical either. It's just my GP who's chosen to ignore the notes that accompany the form and instead insist that I should take a medical. Your GP may be more sensible and abide by the advice in the notes from the CAA and BMA.

Best regards,

Bob Hood

Comment

Medical requirements?

Bob
                  That makes things a bit clearer. My Surgery did do a basic check - blood pressure / urine etc - but the doctor said all he needed to do was assess my records and ask some basic questions. I guess my real concern is that the certificate I now have which is only 1 week old will not become invalid after my 45th birthday next week. I don't mind paying if the certificate covers me till the next milestone (my 60th I think).
                  George

Comment

Medical requirements?

The validity period is printed on the form:
                    Validity periods: Initial 45. to age 45 or 5 years, whichever is longer

So 5 years, because that is longer than the one week until your 45th birthday

Comment

Medical requirements?

Geoff
                      many thanks for clearing that up - so I'm covered for the next 5 years.
                      George

Comment

Medical requirements?

I have to have a FISO medical annually (over 65) which this year is costing 132. I ask the doc to sign my NPPL declaration while I'm there and as my medical is an 'HGV2' I have an unrestricted PPL certificate.
                        As far as I can see from their scale of charges, an NPPL signature would be about 16

Comment

Medical requirements?

My GP charged 35 on the basis that it wasn't just a signature on a document. According to the declaration he had to read through my records too, so charged me accordingly!

Comment

Working...
                          X