Lots of people watching but not saying much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dominic Pecheur wrote: ...We have a huge runway, fuel and maintenance...
    ...Old Warden, Audley End, Duxford and North Wield are in easy reach...
    Wow! You're based at Stansted

Seriously, where are you Dom? You must be fairly near Sackville. What about dropping in to see us? - good pub in the village and always somebody about at the strip on a flyable day.

I'm looking to orgnise flyouts this summer for some of my recently qualified pilots - could we come to you, it sounds great?

PM me if you prefer.
    Martin Watson
    Microlights in Norfolk
    Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
    07805 716407

Comment

Thanks guys, it makes me realise just how very lucky I am.

Most of my flying is shared with syndicate members, flip a coin to see who flys out and who gets the return trip, shared aircraft based at Rayne and North Weald. At Rayne someone is always going somewhere and everybody is welcome to join in or just do their own thing while at North Weald we have the club with a good mix of licensed pilots and students to fly with and occassional club flyouts.

Knowing how fortunate I am has just given me a great start to what is otherwise a grey windy morning

Comment

Where are you based Dominic? Would be good to buzz down and swap notes, are you at Gravely Hall Farm near Stevenage? Good spot for a fl;y in I'd have thought

Last went there in a Flash One in about 1996-1997

Cheers

Kev

PS co-ordinates would be handy too
        G-KEVA
        BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

I am completely new to Microlighting and do not even have my licence yet BUT i would like to say a BIG thank you to Ian Hogg for advising me on the purchase of my Chevvron MZMK and for making the 550 mile round trip to come and see the aircraft and strip the damaged wing and assess the repairs needed! I am indebted to him and his enthusiasm for Chevvrons and if it was not for his belief in the aircraft I would not be the proud owner!

Comment

It's a delightful aeroplane Peter, I'm sure that you'll enjoy it

Comment

John Kendall summed it up just right when he said the paramotor community now is what the microlight community was then.

Comment

...and yes, I'd love to own a Chevvron but doubt I ever will.

Comment

Hi Ian,

Hope all is good with you. I went from my first plane, an X-Air 582 to a Skyranger 912S. Loved it and enjoyed touring, going from Ireland to Popham and Spamfield. I was lucky to meet a great bunch at the time and we would be always planning the next trip and travelling in formation. Unfortunately I never made it into France, Germany etc. The children arrived at that stage and clipped my wings. It no longer made sense to keep the Skyranger as my hours had reduced from between 100 - 200 hours per year down to 40 per year. Time Sponge number 2 arrived 3 years later and the hours logged dropped below 20. I used to log 20 hours in a weekend once upon a time. I changed from 3-Axis to Weightshift and bought a Pegasus XL 462 which I loved, it was a great ship to build experience and confidence in. Amazingly I never felt like I took a step down, rather the opposite. Flying the XL I did not initially use a GPS. I used Map, Compass and Stopwatch. I bimbled all over Ireland at 48 mph and adored it. Because I did not have my eyes on an AvMap IV GPS I was studying Navigation, spending an evening beforehand planning out the route and inviting a friend or two to join me. I will remember some of those flights for many years. The year before last I bought a Quantum 503, I have not logged many hours in it yet but hope to change that this year.
                  A few of my flying buddies I once toured with in the Skyranger have sold their C42's and Foxbats. They now fly Flash 2 Alpha's and Quasars as well as AX3's and Ravens and have began to appreciate Microlight flying all over again. Pure, Simple and truely affordable aviation. Looking forward to getting the old gang together during the summer and doing some classic 2-stroke touring. Going to get a 2-stroke community together similar to the Paramotor Community which Ian has mentioned.

Damien.

PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

Comment

Hi to all that replied to this thread.
                    Martin you are but a short hop away and feel free to drop by in summer with your students. We do have noise abatement procedures but they are very simple.
                    William please keep an eye out on here I will advertise impromptu fly ins with maybe a weeks notice.
                    Kev my old fruit, just follow the A1 down to Baldock, then turn towards Stevenage. There is a golf course straight ahead and I am at the southern end of it. If you come late in the evening the driving range lights act as a clear beacon! Always handy when it gets a bit murky.
                    I think we should utilise the small farm strips more. Sandown and Sywell are good for major events but little far flung farms are more fun I think. Three or four aircraft in a loose formation enjoying a summers bimble to local fields, it's the way to go.......so set your tent up at Graveley on Friday night, enjoy the local hospitality then hop around the local sights WITHOUT a GPS on Saturday, returning for more ale and story-telling. I would certainly be wingman for anyone that wanted to have a go. (Feels like mustering up dad's army!)

Comment

I love the idea of turning up at an airfield with tent and derigged flexwing and making a weekend of it. There are events that people with a desire for the old fashioned rallies could tag on to. The great north fly in would be perfect and the ssdr rally in July is just our kind of thing. Not just single seaters but turn up with your older 2 stroke machine and have a good weekend. I'm sure our local airfield at Baxby would love to see half a dozen old flexwings based there for a boozy weekend. Wingland are hosting several events this year and I'm sure we'd be welcomed at any of them. How do we motivate some owners of xls and alphas to de rig and have a ball?

Comment

Been to your spot in 1997-8 using a Magellan GPS and chart, the GPS had a little arrow and it swung sideways suddenly, but there was no airfield in sight, just a Strawberry farm..;-)

Landed and some ladies picking strawberries asked where I was from, when told 'between Hull and York' they said in unison ' in THAT!'

The fly-in was a benefit for a feller who'd fallen foul of a propeller during the early part of Brian Milton's ATWIED flight, he was there in a wheelchair, sharp lesson for us all there.

Sounds like a plan Dom

Kev
                        G-KEVA
                        BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

John, that is the biggest question. I'm not sure it's motivation but availability of time for many folks. That's why these machines are kept rigged or semi rigged, because the flying window for many is so few and far between that every minute spent rigging is less flying. Too much work just to make ends meet, let alone fly. It's a sad state of affairs.
                          When I set the half pint up out the back of my car down at popham no one batted an eyelid. In fact no one came to watch or ask questions either. All eyes were on the runway with skyrangers etc arriving. I did a circuit in the evening slept in the back of the car then went for another circuit in the morning. I thought it was fantastic but there was no one else to share the enthusiasm with and I departed as quietly as I had arrived with no ceremony.
                          Kev the strawberry farm is still there producing the biggest strawberries iv every seen! It's the airfield owners farm. He has an Alpi pioneer with the reg G-OPYO! (Go pick-your-own). In fact I found an old you tube video of him flying a robin 440 powered flash 2a over to Paris as part of the flight from heathrow. When I started my hangerage with him I overhauled the trike for him which had sat for over 10 years dormant. It's now flying regularly. Fantastic piece of history and now I'm part of it.

Comment

I'm sure you are right Dom. Time is one thing I am short of and is also the reason my dragon is fully rigged and ready to go. I can grab an hour or two when the weather's good but struggle to commit the time for longer flyouts. I do however try and attend 2 or 3 larger events throughout the year. I'm fitting a towbar to the camper van so we can all go and make it a family trip. Those people watching the skyrangers land at popham don't know what they're missing.

Comment

That reminds me of an idea for a holiday we planned, but never made, in the late 1990s when we were still flying on restricted licences. The idea was to take a car with the TST on its trailer, and tour around a variety of microlight clubs doing drive-rig-fly-derig-drive with B&B stays nearby.

Life got in the way and it never happened.

Joan

Comment

Sounds like Fly Uk Joan without the derig - why don't you join us this year?

Comment

Working...
                                X