X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Walker
    replied
    Ditching

Get the Crewsaver with the neoprene wrist and neck seals, they are more comfortable and just as effective as the rubber ones.

Donald

Leave a comment:

• Bob Hood
    replied
    Ditching

Hello all,

Not that I am trying to be flippant here, but I remember reading somewhere the reassuring placard that Mustang pilots saw when they climbed into their aircraft to fly across the Channel. It said "DO NOT DITCH THIS AIRCRAFT".

Best regards,

Bob Hood.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

Talk to David Lane on 01562 884585. He was thew guy doing the tals at the Splash show on ditching.
    Terry

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

Great topic guys, what it is all about.
    Plan a crossing in 07 to the UK and this advice may be useful, but have to say that the posting that MAX made previous to this one seems to say it all for me.

(1) Flight plan
    (2) Immersion suit & life jacket
    (3) ELT activated as soon as possible
    (4) Proper radio call, Bearing/Distance out/Altitude & 121.5

I believe that every episode of ditching will be different, may/may not end up inverted and who is to say what will happen next.

O yes... donít forget about the possible aftermath of this...proper life insurance on yourself..... don't think twice about the aeroplane, the insurance Co. can own it !

Jon

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

I Suggest you get a good emersion suit and life jacket call a may day hit the beacon button and hope you've filed your flight plan.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

F
    [color=#008000>

mind you if I was spotted in the sea they would be sending a Whaling ship

:idea:

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

As a newcomer to the forum, I must say that this is a great improvement on anything on ditching on the Yahoo group. Many thanks, chaps.
    Now, two questions for you:
    1) There is a wide price range covering radio beacons. The cheeapest (£128) is a 121.5 only device while the powest price 406Mhz is £290. Anyone who says that no price is too great to ensure your safety is probably in the wrong sport... It's a judgement call for all of us.
    2) Most (?) of us fly with some kind of GPS device in front of us. Our handheld is likely to be showing the bearing and distance of somewhere, with the present lat/long available if you press the right button. How happy would D&D be with hearing "Campbelltown bearing 330 distant 15 stature miles"? (Before you ask, most Skyrangers have ASIs reading in mph!)
    Richard

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

openneth on ditching at this time as I haven't had the privilege of ditching (if it is deemed a privilege ) I have done the BA Cranebrook DITCHING course and if it was actually real ....this posting would now be being typed by a 'ghost' [/b]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

I have heard of stowing air matresses in the wings of a Thruster before now but I have not yet spoken to anyone who has done it, but I would suggest the techique that was recomended for ditching Typhoons in WW11 (old I may be , but not that old. I read about it) as you have the advantage in a TST of a tailwheel undercarriage. The Typhoon problem was with the massive air scoop forward, the nose dug in and you could continue straight down. So you exagerate your three point landing and touch down as slowly as possible and such that the tailwheel makes contact first. That will slow you before the mainwheels touch. The theory then is that you come to rest with your nose submerged as far as the leading edge, this won't last long but maybe long enough to get out. I would not undo my safety harness untill halted, in a Thruster you have a first rate harness with a decent release, far better than the nancy strap and diagonal than some others fit and if you are in a TST you only have the rear wing bracing wire in your way as you leave.
    All that is theory only but it may help

Ginge

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

...30 mph... it's about the same as jumping from a height of just over 10 metres...ouch! Better practice your high-dive technique!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

Tom

I would jump from a flexwing, but not a 3 axis.

Thinking about this, the thing that occured to me is that you would want to make the aircraft as light as possible, to get the stall speed down as low as possible. This would also reduce mass above the point of rotation... the wheels.

I then wondered why we don't have the ability to jetison fuel. If you were going in dead stick, to inhospitable terrain or to water, it would surely be a big advantage to do so without carrying 40 or 50 litres of Chateau Gordon Brown in the tank.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

Thanks for all the info guys. I was aware of the ability to hire survival kit - and certainly wouldn't venture across water without an immersion suit, life jacket, gps, locator beacon and a bag full of lucky rabbits' feet.

But if there's a poor chance of getting out of the aircraft then there's little point in having any of these things! Hence my question about the specifics of ditching a high-wing, high-engine microlight (eg. a Thruster, AX2000 or X'Air). Is it do-able without somersaulting onto your back? I've heard some pilots recommend abandoning the aircraft before it touches the water in order to avoid this problem. But then you'd still be travelling at 30mph when you hit the water. Is this feasable? Or at that speed is the water going to feel like concrete when you hit it...?

Any further thoughts much appreciated.

Tom

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

I'm sure that I have seen advertised in one of the aviation mags a company that hires survival kit. A quick Google should be able to locate them. That way even if you are planning a one off you can equip yourself with good gear.
    Actual technique is well descibed on the Island Microlights site in an article by Charlie Galea

Ginge

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

Tom, the guy who I was thinking of is David Lane from Freedom Sports Aviation based at Long Marston see http://www.freedomsports.co.uk/. I'm sure that he advertised courses in MF.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ditching

What about the actual ditching technique?
    What's the best option?
    On flat calm it will be difficult to judge your height too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X