Ditching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditching

Actually, Pete, it is not unheard of that people injure themselves badly on the tailplane when parachute jumping. The slipstream can be a real problem.

Paul

Comment

Ditching

Peter,

Why are you using up bandwidth unnecessarily? We have seen the picture of that Allegro dozens of times now.

Donald

Comment

Ditching

Lots of (almost too much) good info on the various suits and survival stuff.

Pete made a great point about being able to dump fuel; this sounds most useful when pootling along with a tank somewhere near the required volume to keep an aircraft afloat. Amusing to note that if Chris Draper's SLA executive could dump it's 100 litre fuel capacity before ditching, the aircraft would probably float forever. Even a Quik might too. Another thought is that for years we all bimbled over hard terra with two-strokes, far more likely than a 912 to die on you, yet never thought of being able to unload all that flammable gas.

Dumping that volume of RON would take a minute or two, my Quik sinks at an horrific rate with engine off, less so with electric trim on full slow, but still only five minutes to chuck the unused mogas from say, 3,000'.The only way I can think of doing this really simply and without weight would be a big primer bulb and a pipe over the side, it's got to shift 13 litres/3 gallons per minute to work, but discussion seems to beget invention so often by lateral thinking.

So that won't work, but this would:-

Bro in law once supplied a carbon-fibre fireman's air tank to fill my Weirauch gas-charged gun; this is about 2,260litres, and the size of a diving bottle, bit too large that. He advises that an ARCO 400 litre carbon-fibre lightweight air bottle is light and small enough to strap to your leg. about 100-150 litres would float you and any microlight you care to name, provided it had something bag-like to fill, securely strapped into the airframe. He also sells reconditioned ones. Bet Jeremy knows the RIB manufacturer to make the bladder; this'd make a great added value accessory for those who want something on top of the BRS....

Kev
        G-KEVA
        BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

Ditching

Kev, et al,

I can't remember if I ever got round to posting it before, but it struck me that a removable framework of tubes that you strap or bolt to the undercart of your trike before flying over water might be a good idea. The framework would be in the shape of a two runged ladder with the two longerons going forward to aft. Each longeron would have a big airbag attached that would be folded and tied to the tube so as to minimise drag, but which could be inflated on the water, so if the plane ditched the airbags would inflate and keep the aircraft on the surface. It could then be towed away rather than sunk by the coastguard, and would ensure that the occupants were not in the water but in the plane when rescued. Being removable would mean there could be a stock of them kept at Headcorn for hiring out to channel hopping aircraft for a fee plus a refundable deposit.

Most trikes have pretty standard wheelbase and width dimensions, and most 3 axis tricycle undercart planes fall within a foot of each other for width and wheelbase, so making up a fitting kit would be fairly simple. The unweildy size and shape would be more than made up for by the peace of mind, and the weight and drag shouldn't be prohibitive if properly thought out. After all, as there are inflatable boat type flexwings flying already a floatplane type trike wouldn't be too odd.

Just a thought,

Best regards,

Bob Hood.
          XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

Ditching

[quote=Reggie Bender]

Pete made a great point about being able to dump fuel;

That in itself should justify carrying fuel in a container on the back seat :&gt
            Donald

Comment

Working...
            X