Flying sites/mentoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying sites/mentoring

I'm new to forums, so please bear with me. I'm a very low time powered weight shift pilot, with hang glider and ppl experience. Is there a club or individual with access to a strip/ hanger to the south east of Cambridge that could get me going with my new Dragonfly (Discus wing), that Is just sitting there? Thanks in advance. Hugh

Flying sites/mentoring

Is going back to Sywell for further coaching out of the question? Or have you done that and now want to progress to the next stage? If you're a club HG pilot, I wouldn't have thought you need too much help...
    Dave

Comment

Flying sites/mentoring

Hugh, unfortunately I live right down on the south coast or I would have offered to help. I am also a Dragonfly Discus owner and active hang glider pilot. You will love the machine but if you have the Bailey engine then it is more ideally suited to airfield operation and touring. I bought mine for soaring so am currently just finishing off the removal of my Bailey V2 175 and replacing it with a CorsAir Black Devil for a significant horse power improvement. I fly from my own small bumpy fields so the limited power from the 4 stroke used up half the field length just getting to 10-15mph. The increased fuel burn of the Black Devil and less refined running is not an issue for me as it is intended to be off not on. In that config it is wonderfully smooth and economic!

Comment

Flying sites/mentoring

Coaching isn't really what I need, more a place and reason/encouragement to get out there. But my sincere thanks for your consideration.
        P.s I've got the Polini 250 engine

Comment

Flying sites/mentoring

Hugh, Not far from you at Bourn just West of Cambridge... Where in SE Cambs are you?

I have no experience of the Polini, but have a few hours of flex flying under my belt.

Comment

Flying sites/mentoring

Does Bourn encourage weight shift microlights ? I've flown in there and from there a number of times in a cub, but never seen any weight shifts?

Comment

Flying sites/mentoring

Yes there are a few of us... you would be welcome. It's very relaxed, no stuffy idiots here :-) (well, maybe idiots, but not stuffy ones ....)

The hangars are very good, secure and weather proof. Hard runways (no problems with flooding in winter)... but it's not the cheapest!

Comment

Flying sites/mentoring

Not Southeast, but there is Sutton Meadows near Earith. The resident flexwing instructor, Dave Broom, is pretty familiar with the Dragonfly (he wrote the review in MF for it, and I think his dad also flies one?). Don't know about hangarage, unless you are happy with derigged.

Comment

Flying sites/mentoring

Many thanks. The Bourn option looks very interesting. May I contact you for a chat Andy?

Comment

Flying sites/mentoring

I have sent you a PM

Comment

Flying sites/mentoring

Neil Hubbard wrote: Not Southeast, but there is Sutton Meadows near Earith. The resident flexwing instructor, Dave Broom, is pretty familiar with the Dragonfly (he wrote the review in MF for it, and I think his dad also flies one?). Don't know about hangarage, unless you are happy with derigged.
                      +1 for Sutton Meadows. Wide runways, and three runways/six directions reducing the need for crosswind action. A fair few flexies there, and a HG aerotow syndicate.

Comment

Flying sites/mentoring

Many thanks for all the kind replies. I thunk I have enough to think about now.

Comment

Working...
                        X