Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

got a two seat tail-dragger and a big heart, anyone? (East Anglia based)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a two seat tail-dragger and a big heart, anyone? (East Anglia based)

Hi
    I wondered if there is anyone in East Anglia with a taildragger and a spare seat who might give me a bit of hands-on experience and the benefit of their expertise? I have ambitions to own a Minimax and have established that realistically I'd need to buy a Thruster TST to get instruction on taildragging/rudder. I can't know whether this would be a wise investment. I feel I need a taster. (share expenses)

Thanks
    Pete
    X-air pilot
    Previously owned flexwings, incl. Quantum 15-582 and Flylight Dragonfly.

Its a distance to travel but your best option is Joan Walsh.

Comment

John Moore wrote: Its a distance to travel but your best option is Joan Walsh.
      Joan doesn't have one. That is a syndicate aeroplane, no longer used for instruction. At this stage I want just to make some friends, rather than getting formal instruction, until I know for sure that this is for me. But thanks for the advice. And the distance to Joan would not have been a problem.
      X-air pilot

Comment

With a good fuse tube they are a great and competent aircraft.

Love them to bits..

Comment

TST, you mean?

My first microlight flight was with Ian Stokes, circa 1990 and that was in a taildragging Thruster. I have a real soft spot for the type.
          X-air pilot

Comment

Yes a TST - they are just fantastic. My first proper X country was my in a Chaser SX with a guy in a TST... North Yorkshire to Isle of Wight.. only took three days haha.

What an adventure though. Landing in fields and walking to petrol stations. Modern plastic fantastics have missed so much.

Comment

Forgive me, John, but are you the chap who sold me a hang glider ASI, once upon a time?

What a fantastic first cross country! I'd like to do that sort of thing.
              X-air pilot

Comment

No idea about the ASI Peter. Unlikely as I don't do things without engines.

Getting the hankering for an Alpha. Flown most things and the best flexwing, bang for buck, is still the Alpha and worst. the Quantum in any guise..

Comment

I have had a Quantum and a Dragonfly. Also had a Q, but never flew it before selling it on.

Flew a Flash II for a few hours in 1992.
                  X-air pilot

Comment

Try Bedford microlights at Sandy. There is a TST based there and they do offer conversion courses I believe.

Comment

Q's are good especially with a 462. Not flown a Dragonfly.. they always look over priced beside proper machines like an Alpha.

Comment

Peter Goff wrote: Try Bedford microlights at Sandy. There is a TST based there and they do offer conversion courses I believe.
                        oh, BRILLIANT....thanks Peter!
                        X-air pilot

Comment

John Moore wrote: Q's are good especially with a 462. Not flown a Dragonfly.. they always look over priced beside proper machines like an Alpha.
                          The Dragonfly really is a wonderful experience but I do think they are expensive new. Second hand ones are a good option, though. The Alpha cannot possibly compete for buoyancy/ glide or soaring. But they are not the same sort of thing.
                          X-air pilot

Comment

No not the same thing at all. The Alpha is made from proper tubes with decent sized fuel tanks and room for storage and change from 4k for a decent one )

Comment

but can you turn the engine off and climb faster than you can with the engine on?
                              X-air pilot

Comment

Working...
                              X