flexiwing....sail.....long life'......?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think there has ever been a case of one of those wires fully separating in flight.
    An occasional spray for ACF50 around the offending spot will ward off any corrosion.
    Dave

Comment

Dave Smith wrote: I don't think there has ever been a case of one of those wires fully separating in flight.
      I think there has been and there was an AAIB investigation...

I also know of a HG pilot who died after a wing wire failure.

Comment

There was Steve, but it was around a badly made off Nico (incorrectly sized, I think) that the cable pulled through.
        HGs tend to have a single 2.5mm side wire. Powered flexies 2 x 3mm (sometimes 4mm!) - overkill or what?

Dave

Comment

Dave Smith wrote: There was Steve, but it was around a badly made off Nico (incorrectly sized, I think) that the cable pulled through.
          HGs tend to have a single 2.5mm side wire. Powered flexies 2 x 3mm (sometimes 4mm!) - overkill or what?

Dave
          Mines got 12mm side 'wires' (it's a topless Combat) but it does of course have wires front and back and a very small lightweight alloy catch at the nose which sometimes gives me the heebie jeebies.
          Mike

Comment

Hi

I bought a Blade Winged Rapier new from Rochdale in 1998 and Roger Pattrick was quite happy to fit sheaved flying wires instead of the rolled sleeve type; I'd asked specifically because Pegasus used the sheave type which are almost bombproof against careless rigging, provided they are made by the original manufacturer.

Roger is at Deddington now so may be able to confirm

Kev

PS my Ace Magic Cyclone has only the sheaved fittings and rigs beautifully, tight as hell though to get the speed...
            G-KEVA
            BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

Working...
            X