Yet Another CAA cock-up - Check Flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another CAA cock-up - Check Flights

The CAA have had a really good last couple of weeks. Two days ago I received a CAA notification of a new Information Notice on Eligibility of Pilots to Conduct Check Flights.

link here: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2016081.pdf

What is going on? !!!!!!!!!

I don't know why this has been published at this time but it seems entirely accurate. Have I missed something?
    Geoff

Comment

According to that notification we the owners can now decide when a check flight is needed? and it is no longer mandated by bmaa or laa
      Or have I missed something?

Comment

You need to read further to where it says:

1.1 The responsibility for deciding when a check flight should be performed as part of the continued airworthiness management of all aircraft belongs with the aircraft owner, maintainer or continuing airworthiness management organisation.

Your airworthiness management association is the BMAA, and like the LAA they have decided that regardless of the CAA relaxation you will continue to do annual check flights, but now with the relaxation that they can be done by the owner, or the BMAA has to organise costly insurance.

HTH, HAND.

Comment

Hi Steve. I think that is rather unfair, or maybe a little misleading. BMAA member owners can now do their own check flights as requested by many members. It allows for greater flexibility saving time and inconveinience so better for the members. At the same time the BMAA members association has saved costs associated with operating a check pilot system which includes staff time as well as insurance costs. So overall each member has benefited from the change. Just my change of emphasis.
          Geoff

Comment

I read that Steve but it is puntuated ie:- the Owner, maintainer or continuing airworthiness manager so surely that means we have the choice or is it yet another grammmatticcalll fuex pas by the CAA or gestapo as they are known in some circles near WAFEC HQ

Comment

The whole paragraph reads:

"The responsibility for deciding when a check flight should be performed as part of the
              continued airworthiness management of all aircraft belongs with the aircraft owner,
              maintainer or continuing airworthiness management organisation. Best practice dictates
              that when it has been determined that a check flight is necessary, a suitably qualified,
              and experienced pilot should be used."

The CAA Check Flight Handbook, CAP 1038, which is referenced in the Information Notice goes on to suggest levels of experience necessary for Check Flight Pilots. Quite significant experience. Nowhere in the Information Notice or the Handbook does it reflect the current BMAA situation where the check pilot scheme has been abandoned, and it is now a Pilot/ Owner function. It seems the CAA are marching on without the slightest acknowledgement that relatively inexperienced BMAA pilots, (relative to the suggested CAA experience levels anyway), will now be conducting their own check flights. The BMAA process seems not to be part of the CAA process.

Comment

What part of a check flight is beyond the skills of a pilot qualified to hold a microlight NPPL?

Dave

Comment

After waiting since the 7.7.16 for the laa to let me do a check flight, I think this is excellent news.

How about we do our own permit as well, then they don't even have any pesky emails to ignore. :yeah:
                  Bryan

Comment

Bryan,

As my planes are SSDR, I now use the permit checklist to inspect my planes on a regular basis, and tick off each item just as my inspector used to do. So in a way some of us already do our own permits. :-)

Best regards,

Bob Hood
                    XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

The line that says something like - "do the controls operate normally at Vne".

I've no idea, I was hanging on for dear life and had no intention of operating any controls :-)

Laurie (2)

Dave Smith wrote: What part of a check flight is beyond the skills of a pilot qualified to hold a microlight NPPL?

Dave

Comment

Love it.
                        Not many wings will actually allow you to pull full Vne. Helpfully, the form only requires you to show maximum speed achieved.
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X