No announcement yet.

Bi annual check flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have already commented, so advise I am not an instructor, fly 70 hours a year and need biennial flights with an instructor to revalidate my NPPL, LAPL and FAA PPL.

Donald

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Walker View Post
      I have already commented, so advise I am not an instructor, fly 70 hours a year and need biennial flights with an instructor to revalidate my NPPL, LAPL and FAA PPL.

Donald
      And that's all fine Donald, you can still do whatever you need to do but it would be your decision to accomodate your needs as you see fit and not have a ridiculous system telling you that you have to.

Comment

Dave,

Because you and many other BMAA members think it is ridiculous does not mean it is ridiculous. The biennial flight review is not unique to the CAA and is required by EASA, the FAA, CASA and many other regulators. It affects the vast majority of the world's pilots. My view is that whether we like it or not we are going to have to live with it and there is no point in asking the BMAA to seek its removal, because that is not going to happen.

http://https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/flight-reviews

Comment

The very structure of the flight as Paul W has highlighted extremely well appears not to be in place because of any safety aspect so with that in mind I can't understand a reluctance to try for change, simply saying we tried 15 yrs ago holds no weight, imagine asking for ssdr back then.
          The flight is still accessible on a voluntary basis if required and as you've stated it's many members who feel the same so this can benefit all the members.
          Another scenario... I drive a car and hold a car licence and it needs a reval periodically but I can sit on the back of a motorbike with an instructor and the licence is revalidated even though I will never ride bikes, sounds a little silly don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Morton View Post
            Another scenario... I drive a car and hold a car licence and it needs a reval periodically but I can sit on the back of a motorbike with an instructor and the licence is revalidated even though I will never ride bikes, sounds a little silly don't you think?
            Dave
            Ive been riding motorcycles for 40+years. I think there would be a massive improvement in road safety if every car driver had to have an hour with an instructor on a motorbike :-)
            Andy Aiken
            BMAA 5417

G-CITG

Comment

Dave,
              You are using a privilege to bash the biennal flight. The only reason we can do the flight in a flex or three-axis, is because the microlight rating covers both control systems (unlike car and motorcycle licences). When the requirement for a biennial was imposed, would you have preferred the BMAA to have insisted it should be done in the type of microlight a pilot normally flew? Many pilots fly both types, should they do two biennials? You are putting too much emphasis on the control system; as mentioned previously, there is much more to safe flying than good control of the aircraft.
              Best regards
              Donald

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Walker View Post
                ...there is much more to safe flying than good control of the aircraft...
                This is so important.

Not enough pilots understand this.
                Martin Watson
                Microlights in Norfolk
                Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
                07805 716407

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Watson View Post
                  This is so important.

Not enough pilots understand this.
                  But the safe flying aspect should be practiced during each and every flight by all pilots, the crux of this debate is that the responsibility of any extra tuition that is required should be placed with the individual pilot on a voluntary and not compulsory footing and there is no opposing evidence that makes this an unrealistic request.
                  I appreciate Martin that you have a foot happily in the other camp but do instructors have to do the same type of flight with another individual.

Comment

Another scenario... I drive a car and hold a car licence and it needs a reval periodically but I can sit on the back of a motorbike with an instructor and the licence is revalidated even though I will never ride bikes, sounds a little silly don't you think
                    What's this all about! I've been riding bikes for fifty years, and driving cars for thirty, and I've never "revalidated" my licence. Am I illegal?
                    Back to flying, I've had a PPL for thirty years, and when the reval came in I thought it just another compulsory cost, although I came to believe it was beneficial to low annual hours pilots such as me, and I still hold that as true. Now I fly the Alpha over twice as many hours as the 172, I will try to get my next reval in a 3 axis just for the experience.

Comment

I am sure this is incorrect but I will ask anyway, I heard that a flexwing only instructor can revalidate a 3 axis microlight pilot in a 3 axis microlight? if this is true who is IN CHARGE?

The same seems to be rumoured that a 3 axis only instructor can revalidate a flexwing microlight pilot in a flexwing microlight? if this is true who is IN CHARGE?
                      Barry C.

Comment

An instructor must be licensed and capable to fly in the type they are teaching on. There is no difference in requirement between abinitio teaching and teaching the revalidation hour in this respect.

The stats show that nearly all accidents are caused by pilot error. So as Donald says it would be a fruitless task trying to get buy in from CAA / Dft to remove this periodic training requirement, that we share with most other branches of aviation.

So I really don’t see the point getting aeriated about it.

Someone asked if instructors have to do similar - yes they are subject to the same revalidation rules, and also have to revalidation their instructor rating by test every three years - and that’s a tough test that takes around 6 hours and if you fail you have lost your job..

Comment

Guess I'm one of the odd ones. Nearly 700hrs now of flexwing over the past 5 years averaging about 140hrs/year.
                          I did my reval in a Thruster, really enjoyed it and got a different perspective of what you can see when looking out a 3-axis machine. Might try a low-wing Eurostar next time.

Comment

Working...
                          X