X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are the management.
    Laurie (2)

[QUOTE=Mick Broom;
    All this will need a big change in attitude from the management, is this possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Lauriehurman View Post
      We are the management.
      Laurie (2)
      It would be nice to think so but I think you will find we only elect the management and we have not been doing a lot of that lately.

Originally posted by Mick Broom
      All this will need a big change in
      Mick Broom
      Member 909
      Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Nope. Geoff and his team are the management. Council set priorities and objectives ON OUR BEHALF. We are like small shareholders of a company. And we get to elect the councillors.
        Yes the council members do a lot of work for us, but they are not managing.
        Martin Watson
        Microlights in Norfolk
        Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
        07805 716407

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Watson View Post
          Yes the council members do a lot of work for us...
          And there's the rub, I believe. A culture has grown up that expects the council members to do a lot of work outside their primary role of setting objectives and priorities, and monitoring the outcomes of the staff's work to confirm that those objectives and priorities are being met.

Do we have a right to expect council members to volunteer all that extra work on our behalf?

PS. and conversely, if somebody wants to volunteer to do a task which they believe would be beneficial to the association, should they have to get elected to council to promote it, and then have to participate in the prioritisation and monitoring work of elected council members?
          Last edited by Joan Walsh; 31st December 2017, 13:58. Reason: PS
          The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
          R examiner and TST pilot.
          and now a Tai Chi instructor

Comment

No. I think there's a good track record of people proposing and volunteering to do specific things for which they have enthusiasm/expertise.
            Laurie (2)

[QUOTE=Joan Walsh;

PS. and conversely, if somebody wants to volunteer to do a task which they believe would be beneficial to the association, should they [I]have[/I] to get elected to council to promote it,

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Watson View Post
              Nope. Geoff and his team are the management. Council set priorities and objectives ON OUR BEHALF. We are like small shareholders of a company. And we get to elect the councillors.
              Yes the council members do a lot of work for us, but they are not managing.
              You are correct Martin and hopefully with the new openness promised the committee will have a more representative idea of what the members really want and together with a more accountable management will turn the idea's into constructive action.

Both these area's in the past have been holding back the BMAA from moving on to greater things.

However good Geoff is at being a one man management team he is limited in what he can achieve and involving the members will I believe produce the volunteers without distracting the council from its primary job.

We shall see at the Popham AGM if the talk is changing into action plus a chance to vote.

Keep the alternate idea's for some sort of show coming and we will get one , maybe combined with the round Britain trip, a national competition and the new pilot skills testing?

Happy new year with lots of safe flying
              Mick Broom
              Member 909
              Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

To some extent expecting ‘them’ to organise a show is doomed to failure.

If we take the successful shows - Popham, Parafest etc they are organised by committed individuals or companies with a commercial interest for them to succeed. Even the LAA tally fell into big problems of trying to organise and control volunteers and control finances, and was only rescued by Sywell taking over the organising of the infrastructure and event management.

Competitions are a good example of members working together under a BMAA umbrella and organising some pretty massive and complicated events ( like World and European Championships as well as the smaller national events), but again they have been predominantly lead by motivated individuals with support from BMAA HQ. I don’t think it would be easy to try and do that in reverse.

So if we want a big microlighting event, I am not sure that just tasking ‘the BMAA’ to do it would work well - we really need individuals or a small motivated team to want to do it under the community BMAA umbrella, and we need to think about how we can encourage that to happpen.
                Last edited by Paul Dewhurst; 1st January 2018, 12:52.

Comment

I agree Paul with that but think we need to find out what the members want if anything and what would suit the trade and any other possible involvement such as other associations to try and discover a successful format as the old one clearly failed before we can move on to see if it is possible and what is required
                  Mick Broom
                  Member 909
                  Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

I wonder what the trade actually want. Both Paul D and Paul from tlac have commented here and have both been exhibitors at previous shows and events. What formats would they like to see events have? Are shows even relevant in today's world? I know that I only became a flylight customer after meeting Ben at one of the Nec shows.

Comment

Working...
                    X