Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Hello

I would not be in too much of a hurry to buy your first plane. It may look attractive in terms of the reduced hourly cost of training, but taking into account your overheads, in real terms you will save nothing. As you gain more experience, your ideas of what you want will form and undoubtedly change from time to time. I trained on the school aircraft and when I got my licence, I joined an insurance only group flying a tail dragger Rans for a year. During that year I made up my mind what I wanted and then bought my own plane.

Listen to all the advice you can but remember the final choice is yours and only you can decide exactly what you want/need. A top of the range whizzy aircraft can be very attractive but does it suit your budget, your flying ability/experience, the strip from which you fly, your style of flying etc.

Allan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

I stuck with the school plane then brought mine once I’d finished (and had better understanding of what I was looking for, and more importantly, what I really wanted).

The difference in training cost for me was £25ph less if I had my own plane.

Once you add the cost of your own plane, the insurance, hangerage, maintenance, permits and petrol, it’s going to cost more that the £25 saving in lessons.

There are lots of people who will give you some personal advice on what to buy, but the point is it is personal advice. I prefer a Rans to a Skyranger, and there’s lot’s of pilots out there who would recommend it the other way round……

My advice is to stick it out with what your use to.. the school plane. Spend your time focusing on the license. Take you time, and to try out different types before you purchase (there is usually someone at an airfield who would be happy to take you for a spin around the block).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Hi Carl,

And welcome from me too. The only advise left to give you is, look round for your own microlight as soon as possible. Take plenty of advice, and your instructor, when you do buy, especially if its second hand. The sooner you have your own, the sooner you get used to it, :idea: and it will save you a lot of money when you start to go solo.

See you around,

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Carl wrote: When should i start swotting up on exam papers etc
    Hi Carl, great you are doing your PPL Microlight licence. You will have to sit your Air Law exam before your instructer can send you Solo, so a bit of reading up on that one would be good. You can also sit mock exam papers at http://education.islandmicrolightclub.com/ The exams are not that difficult really, the only one that I found takes a bit of sweating over was the Met. The most important thing is that you are enjoying the training, I also enjoyed my training immensly.
    The question on buying a microlight depends greatly in a few factors; Budget/Engine/Age/Touring ability/Seats e.t.c
    Take a bit of time and ask plenty of questions, don't buy in haste and see what is out there for the budget you have in mind.... In flexwings it can be anything from £2000 upwards, so plenty to choose from. Take a look at www.Afors.Com where you will see a lot of stuff for sale, talk to your instructor, he/she will be a mine of information and their input will be invaluable.
    I really cannot afford an opinion regarding flying in Spain, as I have never done it, but I am sure that a few people on the group will be able to assist...... Everything else you seem to be doing right....Keep enjoying it and keep us posted on how your training is going.......... OOOOHHH and a big welcome to the Group.

Jon

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

[color=black>

[color=black>

[color=black>

[color=black>

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Perth is an amazing airfield....shame that it is going through a patch of uncertainty at the moment...seems it is losing the hard runways to the Caravan Club, but they are laying some grass alternative runways for continued use.

My suggestions are: Get your licence and then think about buying a microlight, but some will disagree no doubt !!

Perth??[/b]

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Hello

Hello

Hello all,

Just thought i'd introduce myself. My names Carl Taylor and ive just started my microlight training at Perth Airport with Pegasus trainging school. Ive done 7 hours so far and i'm thoughly enjoying it.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice re: learning to fly microlights, when to buy a microlight, which type, any good books i should be reading and any other advice etc...

I have bought "Microlight pilot's handbook" and "The A-Z of Microlighting" by Chris Stowe. Any other suggestions for books i should be reading.

When should i start swotting up on exam papers etc.....

Also when i get my licence i'm hoping to fly in Spain. Any advice re: flying in Spain?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Carl
Working...
X