X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Hello

Hi Dean,

Any chance you can send me those practice exam papers that you talked about above.

Email is taylorcarl@hotmail.com

Cheers

Carl

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Hi Jeremy. I never felt that. I reeeeeelly dont want to be contentious but there will allways be those that post a lot, and those that dont. The ones that peeved me most were those that didnt post except to complain about those that did, and the one or two (well, probably one really) who posts endlessly about almost nothing.

Whatever, its good to see you posting and involved in the microlighting scene. ;-)

Laurie

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Just to say Hi to everyone. Although I was the fourth or fifth member to join this egroup I stopped checking it last year so it comes as quite a surprise to see how many people are posting to these forums. Be interesting to see how the seperate thread/forum thing works compared to the main egroup.

Best wishes to all.

Laurie

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

I bought my flexwing quite early on in my training because I got a bit fed up of waiting for my instructors engine to be fixed which seemed to take weeks. Also I had a cancelled lesson due to his headset battery going flat on take off!

There are so many reasons for not flying in the early days of flexwing training that having your own is a great advantage. Yes it cost more but as with most things, you get what you pay for. Also, if you buy a popular trike, like an XL it'll hold it's value. If you buy in the winter and sell in the spring you may sell it for what you paid for it!

Best of luck with the training

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Hi Peter,

I'm doing weightshift training, but after having a shot in Alistairs plane, flexwing seems alot of fun too.

Thanks for the offer of a flyabout when your plane is up and running again.

Cheers

Carl

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Hi Peter,

I qualified the bit about vacant slots by saying Solo Lessons. If you have a few students at the level of flying Solo it is possible to have more students in the air than there are school aircraft. I am not an instructor so I do not know what the requirements are, but I believe by the way schools operate that the instructor must be n the ground if a student flying solo is in the air. I do not think there is any requirement that the instructor only has one student flying. It would be good if an instructor replied to clear this up.

Whether it is right or wrong; I can assure you the students where I learned; did so a lot faster with their own aircraft.

Trevor

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Hi Carl,

I paid just over £3000 for my Raven, it's the red hybrid 503 TC over near the tractor :-)

hopefully one day soon I'll actually get to fly her.....

I chose the Raven after asking ALOT of questions on the yahoo group about what was best to go for within my budget, seemed to boil down to Flash 2A or a 503 Raven, almost all the replies suggested that the Raven wing was excellent, have to to say that I've since spotted a couple of 462 Q's and Quasers which looked good.

I've got a lesson booked for sunday afternoon, nothing booked saturday but might show up if I'm bored at work, not yet sure about the xmas doo, see what happens.

Graham.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

With the "should I buy, should I not" debate getting a good airing on this thread
    I noticed the advice about buying now !!! if you buy now and as you say the 3pm slot gets cancelled, surely your instructor will be busy at 4pm when the weather clears up with his 4pm student anyway?
    I think that argument holds as much water as a leaking bucket !!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Hi Carl,
    I currently have one of my aircraft in the ACS Hangar on maintenance and when it appears outside again I will happily give you a fly around !!! I presume you are doing flexwing training though? all the same if you want to see the Perth countryside at 100kts+ you are more than welcome to fly !!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

There seems to be a few of people for buying early, and a lot against. There is no right answer apart from the one that works for you. In my opinion though one of the biggest mistakes I made was not to buy during training. Putting arguments of expense to one side, it was for me the annoyance of booking a solo lesson on a day at 3 O'clock only to find the weather was not suitable. It was suitable at 4 O'clock but someone else had that slot. Many of my peers were arriving in the morning and flying when the weather was right. They could do that because they had there own aircraft. Some months I would not fly at all even though there were flyable slots. I just wasn't booked in at the right time. My training cost me thousands more because, I was not getting sufficient hours in consecutive weeks. By the time I got flying again I had to revisit stuff that I wouldn't have had to if I had my own aircraft. During my hour building; the hours were in some cases dropping off the front of my log book faster than I could put them on. I was on the verge of jacking it all in towards the end.

My experience of not having my own aircraft was that of extra expense, extra frustration, and less coherent training.

All because of the weather!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Thanks

Jon, Jiggles, Les and Allan for all your feedback

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

We are just about at the same phase methinks! Actually I have just bought a flexwing from Perth (Dave Martin) and have it safely in my garage ready for some tender loving care! Decided to give it a damn good clean, spit and polish and at the same time get familiar with airframe and engine bits...
    I have already had good advice from the guys here, especially links to exam papers etc. In fact I could pass on the papers sent to me if you let me have your email address. I have passed all but Nav, which I am waiting to do as soon as I reach that stage of flying. I preferred to get exams out of the way quickly, in fact the air law is a prerequisite to first solo so I took that first.
    I found the Microlight Pilots Handbook ok, but there are one or two missing pieces of information, so definitely recommend reading as much as possible.
    Hi Dean,

That would be great if you could pass on those papers for me. Much appreciated.

What other books would you recomend reading?

Ive just done exercise 10a today. Got a lesson Sat and Sun so i'm looking forward to those.

When would you suggest i look at doing written exams then?

Cheers

Carl Taylor
    carlfunkydrums@yahoo.co.uk

Not sure about flying in Spain tho…nowhere near that yet

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your welcome on to this site.

Yeah may see you around at Perth. Are you going to the scottish aero club xmas doo on Sat eve? I'll see you there for a beer or two if you are.

I had a quick shot in Alistair's plane today. Do you know him? Not sure of his surname. He's got a chocolate cocker spaniel that he sometimes takes up in his plane.

It was fantastic fun going up in his plane.

Anyway if your ever at Perth doing some flying and you need a partner to come up with you. Then give me a shout.

Thanks

Carl Taylor

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Hi Graham,

Good to hear from you. Ive just done exercise 10a today. Got another lesson Sat and Sunday so i'm looking forward to those.

How much did your microlight cost? How come you went you a raven?

Are you going to the xmas doo tomorrow evening at Perth?

See you there for a pint if you are

Cheers

Carl

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello

Hi Carl,

I'm also training up at Perth just now, currently exercise 12&13 (circuits)

I bought may Raven not long after starting my training, It's given me the motovation to keep going when the going gets tough.

Hope to see you up at the airfield

Graham.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X