Warning !!! 912 Engine Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning !!! 912 Engine Problem

I posted this to the 'other place' but thought I would repost here. This is important.

WARNING - 912 coolant return pipe problem

This is a warning to all 912 engined aircraft owners. On a recent trip
    to Scotland I suffered a total inflight coolant loss in my Skyranger.
    I was in company with a 912 Eurostar, who accompanied me back to the
    airfield we had left only for him to discover that he had a leak from
    the same pipe for exactly the same reason. At the weekend at Kemble
    another 912 aircaft (an RV8 ?) had ecactly the same problem, luckily
    on the ground. After talking to others I know of three owners who on
    inspection have found that they had potentially the same problem.

Please could all you 912 powered chaps have a good look at the return
    aluminium pipe from the radiator where it curves round at the back of
    the engine, very close to the exhaust. The problem can be one of two
    things: either the pipe rubbing against the exhaust, or the clip on
    the rubber hosr just underneath coming in contact with the pipe. I
    believe this latter problem to be the most common.

Laurie

Doesn't the position of the Exhaust change with each aircraft's set up ?
    or is it just the box that changes ?

Comment

Yes Peter it will vary from aircraft to aircraft. Some 912 installations (I think the Blade, but maybe I'm wrong) have two mufflers, for example, one on each side of the engine.

I think this is fairly specific to the Skyranger installation, even then there are two muffler options, the standard Rotax mild steel silencer and the CKT stainless one which has a built in heater jacket. The fit is similar but the tolerances different. My problem arose with the original muffler.

Rick

Comment

The only other aircraft I know of (other than skyrangers) was a eurostar.

Comment

I knew the exhaust configuration was different on the A22 Foxbat to the Skyranger and also different on the Quik, I suppose that the info still warrants a look as it must bear some relevance if the fault lies with Skyrangers and Eurostars.

Comment

Checked my Quik over as alway's NO problem with coolant pipes although the rear pipe is close to the exhaust spring so I might move it a bit on next service Thanks for the Info

Comment

:freaked:

Comment

Hi all

Checked under the SKR cowling last week and noticed slight chafing on the coolant hose coming from the expansion tank and routing by the engine mount and carb housing on the port side. :shocked:

I put some sleeving around the engine mount during the build, but have now added some protection between hose and carb assembly.

I suppose it pays to get the torch and mirror out every now and then !

Comment

Am I glad we have a break from mr Kelsey, if you look at his reply posts, it is all twaddle and very unhelpful. He replies like to this thread firstly you think there is some help in the reply then very quickly you understand it is only feeding himself.

Now back to the post, On my Foxbat a few hoses came very close to the exhaust, so some were easy to move away and tie wrap up, to keep a reasonable gap, but there is one that comes from underneath and is very close to the exaust, a few mil 5 to 8 mill at best, what I did was cut a piece of fire retardant roll , this stuff is great before i put it on I stuck it on top of my gas cooker burner for half anhour, and i could keep my hand on the top side , I can tell you it did not even get hot. this stuff stops the intense heat from breaking done and weakening the rubber. it worked a treat.

Regards Steve

Comment

Check the dates on the last 3 posts to this ... 2006. [Apparently Russ Stein was just 'testing'.] Interesting that PK was his 'old self' back then ...

Comment

I put a post on the skyranger section about what i think is the same prob,

there are pics on there so have a look and see if there is any similarity.

http://forums.bmaa.org/default.aspx?f=32&m=52244

Comment

Mike Cowlishaw wrote: Check the dates on the last 3 posts to this ... 2006. [Apparently Russ Stein was just 'testing'.] Interesting that PK was his 'old self' back then ...
                        As was RG

Comment

Steven Owen wrote: Am I glad we have a break from mr Kelsey, if you look at his reply posts, it is all twaddle and very unhelpful. He replies like to this thread firstly you think there is some help in the reply then very quickly you understand it is only feeding himself.

Regards Steve
                          I don't see it that way. He replied in general terms to something posted on the General Chat forum. You obviously have a problem with PK so why not just use the thumb-down button, enjoy a permanent break and stop stirring the embers.

Happy new year and peace to ALL men (please!)

Nick

Comment

Nick my sentiments are shared with the majority on here, genral answer is what is given with no help in resolving the problem, however check my answer, I solved a big problem simply, and shared the info so others with a simlar problem can do the same, but this advice was practical and I was speaking from knowledge , having encountered this very problem. It is a much better forum when someone can help resolve a problem, rather than read through a post that offers no help and leaves you somewhat confused, and thinking , there is some crap you got to read through before you get the help.

Regards Steve

Comment

Steven Owen wrote: Nick my sentiments are shared with the majority on here, genral answer is what is given with no help in resolving the problem, however check my answer, I solved a big problem simply, and shared the info so others with a simlar problem can do the same, but this advice was practical and I was speaking from knowledge , having encountered this very problem. It is a much better forum when someone can help resolve a problem, rather than read through a post that offers no help and leaves you somewhat confused, and thinking , there is some crap you got to read through before you get the help.

Regards Steve
                              Hi Steve
                              I'm not sure the majority on the forums take this view; certainly a good handful. But I think the majority like me, just don't like to keep coming across all this unpleasantness. It just appears that whenever the man opens his mouth he is often jumped on by a few. We can all express an opinion on these forums but if that view is deemed not relevant, superficial or whatever, then there is no need to respond to it unless the information being given is wrong, dangerous, etc. Just ignore the comment and it goes no further. On a personal level I have found PK helpful and he has contacted me through the PM system with advice as a result of my posts in the Aircraft Specific Forums. What's the saying, "If thine eye offend thee cast it out". Probably a bit drastic if taken literally, so just look the other way maybe. Anyway, I'm off into the loft to look for the artificial Christmas tree.
                              Regards, Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X