Forum Search facility now working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Search facility now working

Can anyone who has a problem using the Search facility please let me know about it, as my testing has shown it to be working now.

Regards Steve

searched for "shadow" and "Rotax"....no results for either

edit....apologies..i left options on "last month"...changed to "last year" and results came in

Comment

The key point is that it is no longer giving an error message related to dates.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Searches of In The Last Week, In The Last 2 Weeks and In The Last Month do not work. Yet if you search Any Date or The Last 2 Months, it will include results for the periods that don't work.

Thanks for your efforts.

Donald

Comment

Doh!
          Thanks for that.
          Confirmed that last week and last 2 weeks not working, but all the others, including last month, seem OK?

Comment

Your welcome Jeremy - If the software vendors ever replied to their damned emails, I'd be able to fix it properly!
            Looking at alternatives now as their support provision is untenable.

Comment

If you're looking at other systems then SMF, XMB, phpBB (I'm not a fan, too common and too many exploits but it does have a large community of users) are all good, and vBulletin power board is probably one of the best, but unfortunately is not free.

Personally I like SMF as its simple to use and stable, but it is lacking in decent themes. I found XMB to be very easy to customise layout wise and used this integrated into the main part of a website for quite a few years on a forum with a fairly high member count and it worked well.

There's also Invision Power Board (again not free, but there may be a free version) but I don't know a great deal about this

Comment

Another forum I belong to (a gaming one hoho) use this software:
                Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
                Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
                Mark mentioned it above. It really is fantastic stuff with a great many useful features eg:
                1. You can list all new threads/posts since your last visit
                2. When browsing a thread you can select go to first unread post, very useful on long threads
                3. It has a chat box (may or may not be useful)
                4. You can easily close and open sections to different folk.
                5. Excellent search facility

Comment

Hi Mark, good stuff there. I've been looking at whats around as well. As you say, phpBB has a large support community and looks like it could address one of the concerns expressed by yahoo users - getting individual emails of posts. Do any of the others you mention have the ability to send email digests?

Laurie

Mark Duncan wrote:
                  If you're looking at other systems then SMF, XMB, phpBB (I'm not a fan, too common and too many exploits but it does have a large community of users) are all good, and vBulletin power board is probably one of the best, but unfortunately is not free.

Personally I like SMF as its simple to use and stable, but it is lacking in decent themes. I found XMB to be very easy to customise layout wise and used this integrated into the main part of a website for quite a few years on a forum with a fairly high member count and it worked well.

There's also Invision Power Board (again not free, but there may be a free version) but I don't know a great deal about this

Comment

Hi Greg,

For your benefit (and any others reading this), two of the facilities you mention are alreadty available in this forum:

1. To list all new threads/posts since your last visit, you can click the View Active Threads link at the foot of most pages in the forum information section. The link is http://forums.bmaa.org/atopics.aspx

2. To go the the first unread thread in a post, click the arrow in the 'Last Seen' column on the topic list page - is the page that shows all the threads in a forum.

Comment

Hi Mark and Laurie

I'm afraid phpBB is out of the question. I will only run an asp.net forum for which I can get hold of the source code, and which support a Microsoft SQL Server back-end. This is not some kind of snobbery, but is pragmatic. I do not want to have to keep several sets of database tools, and I need the forum to be (a) modifyable by my staff and b) easily integratable (no such word, I know) into web solutions we develop.

These reasons are why I went with dotnetbb in the first place. However, even though I own a source code licence, I do not have the source for the current version as the vendors did not supply an update with the last two releases. I have chased and chased and cannot even get a reply out of them.

Google is my friend in this search and there are quite a few offerings out there. Many look great at first glance, but then when you ask for a list of sites using the software, you see a different story with very little take-up, which does not bode well for future support.

The ideal scenario is if I can get the latest source for dotnetbb, at which point I will forget the vendors even exist and take responsibility for all changes from that point on.

Regards Steve

Comment

Laurie: They all support subscribing to individual threads, some will list new post some will just give you a link. However I don't know if they have any options to send out digests, I'm guessing probably not, however it's ages since I've run a forum. I don't think any of them support posting by email, but I could be wrong and there is plenty of code out there that could be adapted for a forum.

Steve: Fair enough, I just assumed that you'd have PHP and MySQL set up as standard and didn't actually realize you were using asp (really is quite obvious right enough :P) Being a linux user, I tend to avoid anything microsoft and don't have any experience with ASP so I'll leave it to your judgment

Comment

Search definitely better than before, but 'Last month' (the default) seems to never get any hits?

Test scenario:

a) click Search above at top right
                          b) enter 'bmaa' in search field, press Enter
                          --> nothing found
                          c) change search to 'last year'
                          --> Now plenty found, including many in last month.

mfc

Comment

Mike - I think we can agree the search uses the well known 'pants' algorithm :-)

Mark - I have nothing whatsoever against PHP or MySQL, just don't want to have to support mutltiple languages and databases. There's enough that can go wrong with a server already without adding complexity! Shame, in a way, as phpBB seems nice enough - but I wouldn't know where to begin on extending it's functionality.

Comment

Thanks for fixing the searcher, works for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X