Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Features

Hello All

now seems like a very good time to ask you what forum features you would like to see. If you have a wish list please let us know so that we can try to include as many as possible. There are lots of forum software out there and providing we can port all the history from this one there is no reason why we shouldn't consider all options.

Over to you :smile:
    Best Regards

Bob
    Ewe avterrr larf

Forum Features

URLs work on here if you enter them correctly:

Thus: http://www.microlightforum.com

"Clean and up-to-date" just means different. This forum can be radically altered in appearance through stylesheets, as can almost every forum out there. The key is to get the functionality that's wanted rather then the look!

Comment

Forum Features

Bob that is a great question, here are my thoughts:

1. A new posts list, so you can see just the threads that have had new posts added since your last visit.
      2. The ability within a thread to click a link that takes you to the first post in the thread that you have not seen.
      3. Some new emoticons (not important).
      4. The ability to embed a youtube video in the post so you can watch it from within the forum post. On another forum I belong to all you need is the video ID and you enter it much like you would by clicking the URL button and it create code like this . Users can then watch the video directly.

just some that would be nice I think. :scool:

Comment

Forum Features

Hi Steve, never underestimate the importance of eye-candy! We're all pretty superficial really and like new toys.

Perhaps we should have a 'skin of the month'

Red Six wrote:

URLs work on here if you enter them correctly:

Thus: http://www.microlightforum.com

"Clean and up-to-date" just means different. This forum can be radically altered in appearance through stylesheets, as can almost every forum out there. The key is to get the functionality that's wanted rather then the look!

Comment

Forum Features

Hi Greg,

For your benefit (and any others reading this), two of the facilities you mention are alreadty available in this forum:

1. To list all new threads/posts since your last visit, you can click the View Active Threads link at the foot of most pages in the forum information section. The link is http://forums.bmaa.org/atopics.aspx

2. To go the the first unread thread in a post, click the arrow in the 'Last Seen' column on the topic list page - is the page that shows all the threads in a forum.

Regards Steve

(Apologies for duplicating this posting from another thread....but you started it [IMG]/forums/emoticons/smile.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Forum Features

I personally dont care about this, but people on the yahoo group have said that one of the reasons they stay on there rather than here is that they prefer to get emails rather than browse on-line. Yahoo allows individual emails, and daily digests. I havent seen (limited experience) any forum software that will do this, including Vince's new one (phpBB) although I'm ready to be corrected. Can this forum be tweaked to do this?

Comment

Forum Features

I blame Bob!

Thanks though, now I see them. Might be an idea to move the active threads link to the top of the page though (jeez, some people are just never happy...)

Comment

Forum Features

Hi Laurie

Yes, this forum can be tweaked to do the emailing, but as I said on another thread the source code I have for the forum is out of date, and the vendors are not responding. If I can't get an up to date copy of the source code, I can't make the change. I am narrowing the field on possible replacements though and extensibility in order to providew the mailing function is on the shopping list. It's a subjective thing though, as I wouldn't want my inbox receiving mails all day - neither would I like to wade through a digest, even if only of the threads to which I have subscribed. But hey - whatever floats your boat. Flexibility is the key. Who knows? Perhaps it IS possible to please all of the people, all of the time!

Other things that I think would be nice is an integrated logon to the forums and the main site, and even integrating the forums in the main site pages, so all the usual site menus remain available. A more powerful (read 'working properly') search facility would be good too. Other then that, it's hard to imaging what else a forum could do that this one does not. Oh yes - I did think the ability to embed UTube links was a good idea - I shall look into that too.

It's interesting that Bob's original request for suggestions had so few replies. That either illustrates how extremely happy everyone is with the current solution, or highlights a general air of apathy [IMG]/forums/emoticons/smile.gif[/IMG]

Remember the bad old days when people would reply to a digest mail and leave the entire digest present in their reply? Picking the wheat from that particular brand of chaff was great fun!

PS Clearly retaining the entire posting history on any new forum is key!

Comment

Forum Features

Nice to see the new board is having an effect and making the people behind this one sit up and ask the question, what do you want.

Massive difference to last week ;-)

New forum.....

1 member on Monday.

5 by Tuesday.

17 earlier today... quiet now... could die, if it has this effect I'm for it.

Comment

Forum Features

My wishlist: a way to exclude a Thread from the 'unread' or (better) visible list.

Comment

Forum Features

Vince - excellent point, well argued. Must admit it was the presentation of an alternative that put me in defensive mode [IMG]/forums/emoticons/smile.gif[/IMG] although to be fair, Bob and I have been discussing options for a while now.

Mike - Excluding a thread is not a feature I've come across in my searches so far. You CAN ignore posters, in our forum, but not hide whole threads....unless you use the 'mark as read' link at the top of the page to take it off the new postings list, but that only works until someone else posts.

Comment

Forum Features

> Mike - Excluding a thread is not a feature I've come across in my searches so far. You CAN ignore posters, in our forum, but not hide whole threads....unless you use the 'mark as read' link at the top of the page to take it off the new postings list, but that only works until someone else posts.

Guess it will remain just a wish, then :-).

Mike

Comment

Forum Features

How about the ability for members to add pictures and video to their profile? That's a thing I like about TrikePilot.com, although I think the forum feature of trike pilot is quite poor.

Also I would like to see 'total posts' removed, so it doesn't make us forum addicts look too sad :-) :rofl:

Comment

Forum Features

Ah .. another wish. Remove the left-to-right rolling smiley. It's cute the first time one sees it, but it is so distracting when trying to read the text above, below, or beyond...

Comment

Working...
                            X