French for Pilots ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French for Pilots ???

Not having the luxury of a languages department at the secondary school I attended in the early sixties,...I had no early introduction to French; but following subsequent visits to that country I managed to pick up enough words and phrases to "Get by" .

I later obtained a very good set of two cassette tapes from the BBC, entitled "French for Drivers" This was really useful, covering many situations encountered in motoring in France, as well as many associated themes.

I wonder if such a package exists for visiting pilots ?? Just think how usefull the correct french phraseology would be in obtaining zone transit clearances, general information and a welath of other possibilities.

Does anyone know of any "Off the shelf" product of this nature, or are there any enterprising multilinguists with the time to create even a small collection of useful French aviation based phrases ?

( No offence to the Grmans, Italians / Spanish etc.... but I'm only interested in French at the moment. )

Some of my attempts at making myself understood whilst flying in France have been hilarious.

"Pweesh traversay votra zon avec mon avion petit seel voo plait ??"

Phil Perry

French for Pilots ???

Phil

Try this site http://www.francoflyers.org/

scroll down the page to categories "radio telephony"
    Andy Aiken
    BMAA 5417

G-CITG

Comment

French for Pilots ???

My concern is not so much what calls to make, because you can practice these before leaving, but understanding the rapid fire reply from the controller, especially when they need you to do something out of the ordinary in a hurry.

It can be bad enough talking to Lakenheath sometimes and they speak the same language :rofl:

Comment

French for Pilots ???

I always thought English was used internationally in the air?

Comment

French for Pilots ???

Why would you need to speak french English is the international aviation language, in foreign countries you have to learn it to get your license. So really there's no need, because all pilots will speak a fare bit of english or an alternative:

Google translate :tongue:

Max

Comment

French for Pilots ???

There is of course a need Max, because Englisch is only spoken by full ATC (ie Tower, Radar, Approach) not by what we call "Radio" in this country. If you look in the French guides you will see dozens of airfields where the requirement is A/A Fr only. Will leave you to work out what that means

regards Rick

edited to remove sarcasm which could demotivate the young :smilewinkgrin:

Max Luke wrote:
            Why would you need to speak french English is the international aviation language, in foreign countries you have to learn it to get your license. So really there's no need, because all pilots will speak a fare bit of english or an alternative:

Google translate [IMG]/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif[/IMG]

Max

Comment

French for Pilots ???

I actually don't have school work tonight as it's activitys week and I have walked 15 miles accross the malvern hills whilst it pi**ed down with rain! joy of joy!

A = Aircraft / A= Approach FR = French speaking?

Max

Comment

French for Pilots ???

Rick Goddin wrote:

There is of course a need Max, because Englisch is only spoken by full ATC (ie Tower, Radar, Approach) not by what we call "Radio" in this country. If you look in the French guides you will see dozens of airfields where the requirement is A/A Fr only. Will leave you to work out what that means

regards Rick

Or even: AFIS xxx.xx FR only - Absence AFIS A/A FR only
                Interestingly, French pilots must use the French language except for training requirements.
                Donald

Comment

French for Pilots ???

Air to air, French only

Max Luke wrote:
                  Thats a guess btw :P

Max

Comment

French for Pilots ???

Andy Aiken wrote:

Phil

Try this site http://www.francoflyers.org/

scroll down the page to categories "radio telephony"
                    I wonder if "unité" is followed by "liberté, égalité, fraternité"

Donald

Comment

French for Pilots ???

[quote=Rick Goddin]edited to remove sarcasm which could demotivate the young :smilewinkgrin:

Why? Your sarcasm is usually the most entertaining bit... :devil:

Kev
                      G-KEVA
                      BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

French for Pilots ???

Well, I feel that I am on a kind of "mod-watch" at the moment with everything I say or do obviously under close scrutiny. No German is permitted, even though Germany is now a major ally and political partner. I have needed to change my description because some joker googled Die f**** h*ch, found Corporal Hilter saluting some troops in Latvia or somewhere and complained

best rgds Rick (not sure if Rick is permitted as it derives from the German pronunciation of Richard as "rickard")

[quote]Kev Armstrong wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Goddin

Why? Your sarcasm is usually the most entertaining bit... :devil:

Kev

Comment

French for Pilots ???

Thanks guys. . . . . .

I do speak adequate "coloquial" French BUT... I have no French friends who are pilots, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned this !

Thanks for the interest though, maybe there is an opening here for an enterprising bilingual pilot to make either a few quid / Euros out of a booklet / Dvd / CD of appropriate phrases, mainly to easily convey concisely what service, clearance or information is required, with the minimum of fuss, in fact given the amount of regular cross channel private air traffic, I'm a bit surprised that someone has not done this already ??

My Daughter has a masters degree in French English scientific translation and V/V, but she isn't an aviatrix either, the only Piste she knows is the one where you get a cold wet bum falling off your skis.. . . . . . .aahh well.... never mind, I'll keep on hoping.

Kind regards mes amis

Bon nuit

Phil P.

Comment

French for Pilots ???

Phil Perry wrote:
                            Thanks guys. . . . . .

Thanks for the interest though, maybe there is an opening here for an enterprising bilingual pilot to make either a few quid / Euros out of a booklet / Dvd / CD of appropriate phrases, mainly to easily convey concisely what service, clearance or information is required, with the minimum of fuss, in fact given the amount of Tregular cross channel private air traffic, I'm a bit surprised that someone has not done this already ??

Kind regards mes amis

Bon nuit

Phil P.

Phil,

You shouldn't say bonne nuit, unless you are going to sleep with her.

Bon soir is much healthier.

Donald

Comment

French for Pilots ???

Rick Goddin wrote:

Well, I feel that I am on a kind of "mod-watch" at the moment with everything I say or do obviously under close scrutiny. No German is permitted, even though Germany is now a major ally and political partner. I have needed to change my description because some joker googled Die f**** h*ch, found Corporal Hilter saluting some troops in Latvia or somewhere and complained

best rgds Rick (not sure if Rick is permitted as it derives from the German pronunciation of Richard as "rickard")

Not being able to to use german is not fare, is it?

Donald

Comment

Working...
                              X