Tie Downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie Downs

Can anyone point me to the threads which have discussed how to make a set of tie down anchors. The sort which are made from a piece of tubing with spikes pushed thru into the ground at right angles. I'm interested in suitable dimensions and source of bits etc
    I'd be grateful for any help
    Cheers
    Martin

Tie Downs

Try
    http://forums.bmaa.org/default.aspx?...g=56482#m56482

Comment

Tie Downs

Thanks Peter, just what I was looking for!

Martin

Comment

Tie Downs

6" nails are useless in soft ground. Better try this:

[/quote]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/microlights/message/73525

Donald

Comment

Tie Downs

Cheers Donald, I was thinking 6" didn't seem much
          I think I'll see if I can find some twice that
          Martin

Comment

Tie Downs

Guys,
            If you go to the link and see Terry Viner's diagram it says that you can use Tent pegs as opposed to 6 inch nails, but if you only use 6 inch nails I would defy you to pull that out of solid ground.... remember you have to drive it into the ground...equally you have to pull it out.....

Even Jeremy Harris said Tent pegs so he concurs with what Terry says on his post :idea:

Comment

Tie Downs

Martin,

I got some 10" pegs at Decathlon, but as Peter says, they are difficult to pull out of hard ground. The plastic rope clips don't last long, so you need to fabricate a metal hook for each tie-down. When one peg is out, the other can be extracted by simply pulling on the pipe with the rope.

There is no doubt that these tie-down are light and effective.

Donald

Comment

Tie Downs

Tie downs?

I prefer the padded handcuffs with fluffy linings in shocking pink to match the...

Oops, sorry wrong forum :blush:

Kev
                G-KEVA
                BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

Tie Downs

Hi Martin, we've just come back from a trip to France and at Abbeville two or three of us broke the corkscrew type tie down anchors trying to get them into the hard ground. The only one's we saw working well were the ones called the Claw which can be got from various companies at a cost. I did read an article which stated that on the whole the corkscrew type which were actually designed for this job held better in softer ground but how often is the ground soft enough, so far in the short time I've been flying I've seen many that break to easily whilst trying to screw them in. My wrists just don't seem strong enough without using some sort of bar to assist and they always break at a section which has been pinched in manufacture.

I did a quick search and found what I think were the cheapest suppliers for the Claw and that was WWW.tiedowns.co.uk at 49.99 + 7.50 delivery Hope this is helpful.

Regards

Graham
                  Graham Jefferies
                  BMAA member no: 6885.

Comment

Tie Downs

You can also buy 8" nails

Comment

Tie Downs

Or lengths of Steel Rod and cut to what ever length you like, sharpen one end and weld a big fat washer on the top. :idea:

Comment

Tie Downs

GeeJay,

At Onzain a pilot told me he had the Claw, but it was too heavy to take on a camping trip, so he was using corkscrews :>)

Donald

Comment

Tie Downs

Or simply hammer a right-angle on the non-sharp end. Buy 8mm steel rod. These work well for me. I used 2" lengths of ~1.5" diameter alloy tube (ex-Eagle leading edge, I think) for the tube bit.
                          Dave

Comment

Tie Downs

Try these from transair. Screw in with the wooden dowel provided, I been using them for a couple of years, no problem with Abbevilles rock hard ground

[table height=160 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=590 align=center border=0]
                            [tr ][td vAlign=top width=150 rowSpan=2]
                            [/td][td vAlign=top width=384 colSpan=2 height=70]Ratchet Tie-Down KitCode: 9642D

Secure your aircraft with this ratchet tie down kit. Simply screw the anchors into the ground then attach the aircraft via the quick release ratchet ties and rope.
                            [/td][/tr][tr ][td colSpan=2 height=40]
                            Transair Pilot Shop Price 38.95 (Inc VAT)
                            [/TD][/TR]
                            [/TABLE]
                            Andy Aiken
                            BMAA 5417

G-CITG

Comment

Tie Downs

Donald/Graham

I was at Onzain on Friday. I tied my Quik to a lamp post and the nearest caravan legs! My mate managed to get one screw type part way in. Here's a pic
                              http://tinyurl.com/kvoqmw

We stopped at Headcorn on the way back where it was near impossible to get anything far enough into the ground, which is what prompted all this.

I've done a bit of Googling and found you can get 12" pegs from Winfields camping stores, see here

http://tinyurl.com/nqsf6p

Cheers
                              Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X