Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMAA News item: UK to host 2016 World Microlight Championships.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMAA News item: UK to host 2016 World Microlight Championships.

http://www.bmaa.org/news.php?wnID=9050

Good. That gives a year to get a production company interested in televising it properly. Good telly is the only way to get people in to the sport in larger numbers (or are we going to keep it a secret and wonder why nobody comes?)

Comment

Unfortunately ....

I'm no expert but it used to be the case (at the time of the 2010 European champs at Sywell for example) that the FAI had sold all broadcasting rights to a company that appeared to have no interest in making a populist film of the proceedings.

Rob Hughes is the man likely to know what the present situation is.

Laurie (2)

Comment

... and word on the grapevine is that it will be a combined MIcrolight and Paramotor event.

Laurie (2)

Comment

whooo hoooo where do we sign up

Comment

Laurie Hurman wrote: I'm no expert but it used to be the case (at the time of the 2010 European champs at Sywell for example) that the FAI had sold all broadcasting rights to a company that appeared to have no interest in making a populist film of the proceedings.
            This is not the case, at least not at the moment. The deal with Flying Aces is now where it should be and there is no other similar deal in force.

As with all sport federations, the FAI owns the rights to its events. In practical terms they have allowed anyone and everyone to film the events and distribute the footage locally - so the national news crew and competitors making films for youtube are welcome. FAI would have an interest if it were syndicated worldwide but that is not likely to happen to our event in 2016.

I'll check with the FAI office, but I believe we can plan to use the event for our microlighting purposes and get a whole pile of action videos of microlights being fun.

RobH
            Rob Hughes
            BMAA Member

Comment

Working...
            X