BMAA News item: Microlight routine weighing requirement to be scrapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joan Walsh wrote: Kev, tax disc thing didn't come in until PNC, DVLA, and ANCR computers were all talking to each other.
    Microlight weighing depends on CAA believing that manufacturers declare accurate weight when new, and then BMAA/LAA keeping accurate modification records.

After having learned my aero engineering with heavy and fast stuff*, I remember that when I first entered the world of microlighting I was amazed that nobody seemed to care about the weight of modifications. I really thought it strange that people could advertise bolt-on goodies, such as strobes or electric starters, in MF without anybody asking what weight they added.

As far as I understand, too, aircraft with a significant amount of composites in their structure start to get 'fat' in middle age... a problem many of us can empathise with :-)

Joan

* not really fast unless it can do supersonic at sea level :-)
    There is no weighting requirement in Lithuania and pilots install/mount lots of stuff like mentioned above. I simply tell them - OK, you have mounted a nose cone to your trike. It weights around 4 kg. Just imagine you want the same amount to make flying, how large wing area you'd need? Now, cut this area out of the wing from your trike ... .

The absence of weighting in Lithuania ended up to "fat" microligts. Nobody knows what to do now - it is not right to ground them and it is not fair to let them fly when weightshift a/c are following regulations strictly. By the way, I saw a para-motor trike recently which was taking off with TOW 510 kg ... . They call it "progress" ...

I have read Paul's insights and highly agree with need with EDUCATION of pilots. Making them flying is not enough. I'm just afraid that people who know taste of creation and joy of flight are going away and in near future there will be nobody to tell them that going heavy and fast is not the key stone of microlighting.

Regarding inspections. According my opinion CAA should not be involved into inspection process. I think that should be business of an association only, pilots should take all responsibility on condition of their a/c and inspectors should act as consulting knowledgeable persons only.

Comment

Perfectly put...
      G-KEVA
      BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

We in the UK seem to have lost the concept of learning from our peers. Education translates as formal teaching by an instructor. We'll end up with mandatory ground school and stricter written tests if we're not careful. We might even end up with the NPPL 1hr instructional requirement becoming a test. Be careful what you wish for.

It's not education our pilots need, but a desire to learn.

Joan

Comment

But a supportive framework to encourage and enable that desire to be satisfied is important. instructirs need to be trained ND educated in the first instance to have the knowledge to pass on, and that I believe has become abit if a problem. Rewind 15 years and all instructors also had to be mechanics, and were well versed in how to look after an aeroplane and what makes it tick and how to rig and derig, service it etc. We have seen a steady drift to instructors who have never rigged an aeroplane and don't service it themselves, and at some schools they don't even get involved in the basic paperwork, and may never have owned an aeroplane themselves. It means we have seen a steady erosion of the knowledge passed on to students who then go on to buy their own aeroplane. We need to consider how best to ensure that they do get the information they need without being left to their own devices to hunt it out.

Paul

Comment

But how do we know which of our peers are right and which are wrong?

Joan Walsh wrote: We in the UK seem to have lost the concept of learning from our peers. Education translates as formal teaching by an instructor. We'll end up with mandatory ground school and stricter written tests if we're not careful. We might even end up with the NPPL 1hr instructional requirement becoming a test. Be careful what you wish for.

It's not education our pilots need, but a desire to learn.

Joan

Comment

Laurie Hurman wrote: But how do we know which of our peers are right and which are wrong?
              By applying common sense :-)

Comment

There's no such thing as common sense.

"common sense" is just an opinion you hold without knowing why.

Laurie (2)

Comment

Common sense not quite so common these days..

Comment

Totally agree with the above few comments. Just look at the decision the Council made, in regard to Check Flights at Permit Time.............. Definitely "No Common Sense" Displayed there......

Comment

Must agree.. us "commoners" have no sense........................and have to have it forced upon us for our own good:-)

Comment

guess we're still considered cattle by authorities, to be shunted around without complaint.....
                        Graham Jefferies
                        BMAA member no: 6885.

Comment

Graham Jefferies (GeeJay) wrote: ... without complaint.....
                          Wihout complaint? Where've you been for the last 20 years? :devil:

"Common sense" is a cultural construct derived fro common (ie shared) experience. It is that which "stands to reason, dunnit". It will change with time and with place. What's common sense to a guy who grew up with climbing trees, patching his own bike's inner tube, and building mechano models will be different to common sense for a guy, f'rinstance, who grew up with padded playgrounds, transport to school in mummy's tank, and a world viewed through an iPad... or again, a guy who had to learn to fight to survive school, couldn't afford a bike, and had to prepare his own food when he got home.

At least that's my opinion.

:smurf:

Comment

Hoped this wouldn't descend into semantics:-

common sense
                            noun: common sense; noun: commonsense; modifier noun: common-sense, good sense and sound judgement in practical matters. "it is all a matter of common sense" synonyms: good sense, sense, sensibleness, native wit, native intelligence, mother wit, wit, judgement, sound judgement, level-headedness, prudence, discernment, acumen, sharpness, sharp-wittedness, canniness, astuteness, shrewdness, judiciousness, wisdom, insight, intuition, intuitiveness, perceptiveness, perspicacity, vision, understanding, intelligence, reason, powers of reasoning;

*Early rule framework was oft created by ex-RAF types, structures in the forces are designed to mould an individual into a bid-able component of a fighting entity, hence shiny boots, drill and NEVER question 'why'? Such structures have less to do with what is workable, effective and safe, and more to do with preventing units breaking up under difficult circumstances. Wasting an individual's time doesn't matter and comes poor second to obedience culture.

Unfortunately the powers struggled to adhere to their own stricture of 'Light Regulation' with us, otherwise why is every Spamcan, North Sea Rig helicopter and Police Islander audible for miles away, and us difficult to distinguish from a strimmer two streets away, yet we saw propeller mods and so on slapped with progress -wrecking Noise certificates?

Why put up with audit of organisation on airworthiness (well before G-STYX and I'm still convinced that failure only occurred because it was outsde the permitted envelope) when as Hawke demonstrated, such failures weren't principal cause? Once rang a certain Ms Barrett to ask why GA could pop a yoke mount on and clip a GPS into it, perfect for viewing, but we needed a mod? Answer, "GA need a mod", yeah, right Ma'am...

Fortunately our authority is at last beginning to be prised away from its love of sticking to rules and mulish stubbornness, when way beyond Common Sense (see definition above)

And so too is the CAA...

Cheers

Kev :devil:
                            G-KEVA
                            BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

Sorry Kev, I didn't mean we don't complain, I meant they didn't want any complaints.... If I say it, it sounds right, its just the way I writted it
                              Graham Jefferies
                              BMAA member no: 6885.

Comment

Kev Armstrong wrote: Hoped this wouldn't descend into semantics:-

common sense
                                noun: common sense;...

Cheers

Kev :devil:
                                Ooh Kev, you know I can't resist... (quick web search...)

Urban Dictionary, Wikipedia, and Thomas Paine all have/had their views on the subject.

The only thing most seem to agree on is that it's a rare faculty and certainly not to be relied on in other people :-)

Beginning to wish I'd not mentioned it, even though in jest.

Comment

Working...
                                X