Changes to the Self Declaration Medical system - 25 August 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to the Self Declaration Medical system - 25 August 2016

Sorry if it's posted on here and I've missed it,I've just filled in and sent,will I be informed that they have received it,I did it online

Comment

You should get the form emailed back to you with a CAA reference number filled in. Mine arrived almost instantly - maybe it takes longer when submitted on a weekend?

Comment

Dave Nixon wrote: Sorry if it's posted on here and I've missed it,I've just filled in and sent,will I be informed that they have received it,I did it online
        I believe that it is an automated process so time of day and weekends should make no difference. Email response should be received almost instantly. Note that you must use Internet Explorer to complete the form as stated in the instructions or it won't work.

Comment

Just to reinforce Glyn's post... I recently "completed" the form with Google Chrome.... appeared to be sent ok.... no response.. tried again using Microshite Edge.. same thing... looked as if it was sent ok... no response... finally used I.Explorer and got an "instant" response... all on the same computer and ips..
          The wonders of Modern science:-(

Comment

Does anybody still use Explorer?

Comment

Somewhere between 10% and 20% of desktops depending on who you believe.

Comment

Guess that figures... the CAA in their infinite wisdom have designed application forms which "cannot easily" be submitted by 80% to 90% of the population:-)

Comment

Tbere are other (lazy) firms. Anyone who uses Lloydslink will have to use internet explorer And probably even an old version as Lloyds can't be bothered to test it with other popular browsers. However that does provide opportunities for others, and Browserstack lets you run internet explorer within a Google Chrome window. It used to be free for your average punter but they need to make money so now you need a subscription I think. It's a godsend for me as I was having to run microsoft windows alongside my Apple operating system on my macbook air. This was taking up tons of space. Bowserstack let me stick with purely Apple stuff (but they are just as annoying)
                  Mike

Comment

• Hi all I'm hoping you can help or point me in the right direction. I seem to be hopelessly going round in circles. I read up and spoke to AME and everything suggested that as a Type1 (insulin dependent) Diabetic that wishes to fly microlights on an NPPL (no greater than 2000KG MTOM) self declaration was fine and a LAPL Class 2 was not required. I have read the guidlines on the self declaration and submitted it.

It is only upon doing so that I stumble upon a document, date Jan 2015, saying that diabetics need a DVLA group 2 license to fly with passengers. Now I'm panicking that I've apparently 'lied' on my form and also that I'm not going to be able to carry passengers once I pass. I'm a little bit frustrated with it all to be honest.

Can anyone enlighten me with regards to microlight flying with diabetes please? Or does anyone have a contact number where I can call for advice?

EDIT: Possibly good news. The pilotswithdiabetes site is obviously painfully outdated now. I've just found a whole 'by condition' section on the CAA site, and have found v5 (2018) of Diabetes Certification Guidance PDF, here: https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/...20Material.pdf

From this, section 6:

Originally posted by 6) Medical Assessment for UK National Private Pilots’ Licence (NPPL)
                    UK pilots who wish to exercise the privileges of a NPPL flying aircraft less than 5700kg MTOM must visit an AME and apply for a LAPL medical certificate. Those who wish to exercise the privileges of a NPPL flying aircraft no greater than 2000kg MTOM may self-declare their fitness as long as they meet and continue to meet the requirements (including the DVLA blood glucose testing schedule).
                    Last edited by Harry Marshall; 10th January 2019, 10:15.

Comment

• If in doubt, go to the BMAA. That's what they're there for. https://www.bmaa.org/information-library/contact-us

I haven't time this morning to double check, but as I recall it your declaration translates into everyday English as 'you don't have any condition which would prevent you getting a group 2 DVLA licence if you were to apply for one'. You don't have to actually hold such a licence to make the declaration.

Joan
                      The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
                      R examiner and TST pilot.
                      and now a Tai Chi instructor

Comment

• What Joan said about checking with the BMAA, but in addition note that Jan 2015 is before the introduction of the current rules which came into force with the revision of the Air Navigation Order in mid-2016(hence the title of this thread!).
                        This revision, among other things, dropped the previous distinction between "allowed to fly solo only"" and "may carry passengers". If you can fly then you can carry passengers (well one passenger in a microlight).
                        https://www.caa.co.uk/General-Aviati...rivate-pilots/
                        That page on the CAA website summarises what's required. In short, no you haven't lied and you can self declare for flying aeroplanes up to 2000kg.
                        Last edited by Martin Watson; 10th January 2019, 10:15.
                        Martin Watson
                        Microlights in Norfolk
                        Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
                        07805 716407

Comment

• Thanks Joan. I've emailed BMAA already this morning so hoping they get back to me soon. From everything I can gather, there are medical conditions that can affect the safe operation of the aircraft and obviously diabetes is going to be one of them. But upon reading the 18 page documents dedicated entirely to medical cert applicants with diabetes, one would assume that as long as I'm conform to that I am valid and save to fly with self declaration. If I find out that I'm not, then worst case I have to contact CAA to revoke the self declaration and pursue the stricter class 2 medical.

One thing that I need to check is that I have early background retinopathy, and have received a letter saying I need to have scans to check for maculopathy. According to the fitness to fly bullet points, ie this one:

* Development of any retinopathy requires CAA ophthalmological assessment and is likely to result in further restriction or unfitness if there is any field loss or reduction in visual acuity
                          I'd need to see a CAA Ophthalmologist. I'm still waiting for a hospital appointment regarding said letter.

Comment

• Thanks Martin. Since posting that message, I've amended it with the link to the current 2018 version of that document which clears things up a lot more. Essentially, the thing I just need to enquire about now is my eyes as per my message above

Comment

• Harry, I still believe you are over-thinking this. The only CAA requirement is that you can meet the standards for an ordinary driving licence and are not on medication for a psychiatric illness.
                              Are you medically fit to drive to the airfield? If yes, then you can self declare.
                              (All the other stuff is for holders of other types of licence).
                              It may be hard to believe, but the rules are much more relaxed now for us hobby pilots on an NPPL than they used to be.
                              Martin Watson
                              Microlights in Norfolk
                              Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
                              07805 716407

Comment

• I probably am, and Kelly at BMAA said that self cert is fine as long as it's 2000KG or under. My concern arises when you read the NPPL UK section of the ANO 2016 and also 2018 Diabetes Guidance document; both list things that would render restrictions or 'unfit'. In my case, it's the mention of retinopathy, and whether ANO 2016 is still current and valid; in which then surely Diabetes is an illness that can affect your ability to safely command the aircraft?

I may need to contact DVLA, as I have never informed them about my early stage retinopathy (which I gather many diabetics get at some point). I don't know if I have to?

Comment

Working...
                                X