Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new CAA guidance about lost, stolen etc log books

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • new CAA guidance about lost, stolen etc log books

    YIKES!

    Just been informed of this policy change by CAA via the BWPA.

    Pilot Logbooks - Loss, Damage, Corruption or Theft

    With immediate effect, the CAA will no longer accept the submission of a sworn affidavit as the primary means of accepting hours for the grant of a licence, rating, certificate or the revalidation and extension/or removal of restriction of privileges where an individual is unable to provide logbook evidence of their required hours due to loss, damage, theft or data corruption.

    Further information on the CAA's website:

    https://tinyurl.com/ycqr3ce9


    Take care of your documents guys!
    Last edited by Joan Walsh; 21st January 2018, 18:33. Reason: Fixed bad URL
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    R examiner and TST pilot.
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

  • #2
    Think I'll be taking photos of log book pages in case of loss in the future.

    Comment


    • #3
      I just wonder if this relates purely to Commercial licences?
      It is under folder ..Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences......

      Comment


      • #4
        Very good point Wally; so I just checked.

        Unfortunately they have the same under General Aviation which as far as they're concerned is what we come under. See https://tinyurl.com/ya93hfgy
        The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
        R examiner and TST pilot.
        and now a Tai Chi instructor

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Joan Walsh View Post
          Very good point Wally; so I just checked.

          Unfortunately they have the same under General Aviation which as far as they're concerned is what we come under. See https://tinyurl.com/ya93hfgy

          Guess that would mean 200 PLUS 2 return airfares from Aberdeen to Gatwick and probably 2 overnight stays because times simply will not add up.... cheaper to give the aircraft away and go back to knitting:-(

          Comment


          • #6
            I wonder if the BMAA could do the interiews if necessary. What would happen in the scenario that you have taken a copy of your logbook just in case, the worse happens and its lost or stolen. In that case could you not get a new logbook and present to your examiner??
            I must admit I have now starting taking photos of the stamp in the logbook, I signed two this morning as it happens and have kept a photographic record. If they lost their logbook say tomorrow, surely they would not need to go through the CAA interview being that its been signed by an examiner who could verify the photo and it also shows that they are current.
            I bet if you speak to anyone in the CAA they would not know the answer themselves. I have had severl conflicting bits of advice in the past.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dai Power View Post
              I wonder if the BMAA could do the interiews if necessary. What would happen in the scenario that you have taken a copy of your logbook just in case, the worse happens and its lost or stolen. In that case could you not get a new logbook and present to your examiner??
              I must admit I have now starting taking photos of the stamp in the logbook, I signed two this morning as it happens and have kept a photographic record. If they lost their logbook say tomorrow, surely they would not need to go through the CAA interview being that its been signed by an examiner who could verify the photo and it also shows that they are current.
              I bet if you speak to anyone in the CAA they would not know the answer themselves. I have had severl conflicting bits of advice in the past.
              I would suggest you do noy hold out much hope forthe BMAA to assist.... a week and NO ONE from the BMAA has bothered to confirm, or otherwise that this has already been imposed.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm afraid the situation is set out here Wally in this CAA newsletter


                Categories: Commercial pilot aeroplane, Commercial pilot helicopter, Private pilot aeroplane, Private pilot helicopter, Flight training commercial, Flight training private
                Pilot logbooks - loss, damage, corruption or theft

                With immediate effect, the CAA will no longer accept the submission of a sworn affidavit as the primary means of accepting hours for the grant of a licence, rating, certificate or the revalidation and extension/or removal of restriction of privileges where an individual is unable to provide logbook evidence of their required hours due to loss, damage, theft or data corruption.

                Individuals in such a position are required to follow the process stated in the General aviation and Commercial industry sections on our website.

                SW2018/008

                With links to
                http://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviatio...documentation/
                &
                http://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-indu...ation/Guidance

                It doesn't seem to leave much room for manoeuvre

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Wally Hayward View Post
                  I would suggest you do noy hold out much hope forthe BMAA to assist.... a week and NO ONE from the BMAA has bothered to confirm, or otherwise that this has already been imposed.
                  Hi Wally
                  I don't think the BMAA was asked to confirm anything. Joan very kindly pointed us all towards a new CAA policy which seems fairly self explanatory. However Dai raises an interesting point and I will raise this with Geoff ASAP. I will post anything of interest back here. It would be a useful service we could perhaps offer to members
                  Andy Aiken
                  BMAA 5417

                  G-CITG

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Andy,
                    I await the reply, hopefully Geoff will be able to sort something out.
                    Dai

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sat in an examiners meeting at Deddington talking about thus with CAA rep. BMAA will seek approval form CAA to do the interview procedure for members

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thats good to hear Paul and sensible.
                        I asked the question to the BMAA as the CAA quote a UK Approved Examiner can verify documents. In the past I have had a difference of opinion from the CAA when some of the lads applied for a radio licence, I hold the R rating so signed, but one person in the CAA at that time questioned it, so a different examiner was sought. So I asked the question and got this reply, which if feel is correct and a sensible approach by the BMAA from Aaron.
                        I pointed out that I have started to take photographs of the page with the new C of E Cert in the log book in case of loss.

                        It clearly states 'UK-Approved Examiner' as one of the people who is allowed to certify documents. If your examiner authority is current, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to certify documents.

                        Taking pictures of the logbook C of Es sounds eminently sensible. Going through likely scenarios of candidates losing logbooks, the only time the new process would absolutely have to be followed would be if a pilot needs hours to claim to become an instructor of some kind. Otherwise, if a student loses a logbook, the school's student records could be used to recreate it. If a PPL pilot loses a logbook in between keeping a rating current, but you have a picture of the last rating revalidation (and they still have their licence), a logbook can just be started from scratch, ignoring previous hours.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X