• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise Certificates, I'm confused

Today I received from CAA "Skywise" the following

Categories: Microlights
    Microlight noise certificate exemption

The CAA, in cooperation with the Department for Transport, has today issued an exemption to remove the need for microlight aircraft to hold a noise certificate.

This is in advance of a Government consultation on the issue.

You can see the exemption at: ORS4 No.1313 - Noise Certificate for Single Seat Microlight Aeroplanes

SW2019/177

Yup, pretty straightforward, just a continuation of an exsisting exemption. That is until you open it

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1313.pdf

This seems to imply that all microlights are now relieved of that requirement. Or have I misunderstood

That's what it says, Ginge. Hallelujah! Another box that won't need ticking. Wonder how one of those fancy three bladed jobs will go on a 503?

Comment

Unfortunatly the Arplast, which suits the 503 beautifully is no longer made, but it may open things up for those East European props which are advertised.There may even be some of those in flight adjustable jobies that would do the job, the door seems to have creaked open a bit.
      Last edited by Ginge Sunley; 25th September 2019, 08:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginge Sunley View Post
        Unfortunatly the Arplast, which suits the 503 beautifully is no longer made, but it may open things up for those East European props which are advertised.There may even be some of those in flight adjustable jobies that would do the job, the door seems to have creaked open a bit.
        FWIW I have such a barely used three blade ground adjustable for sale. (West Sx).

Comment

Microlights with wobbly props? Calm yourself, Joan

Comment

Joan? are you two having a private conversation Hands off my wife fellow.

Comment

Hello all,

I think I just learned something new. According to the CAA document, my single seat Minimax, which was entirely amateur built by Barry Crick back in 1990 - 1994, doesn't have a legal (I'm talking about legal definitions here, not practical ones!) MTOW limit of 300kgs, but could in fact take off loaded to anything up to 390kgs!!! This of course ignores the actual MTOW, which according to the design documents should be limited to 238kgs.

Here's the quote from the document that seems to state this. I've put the relevant bit in bold text.

“Microlight aeroplane” means an aeroplane designed to carry not more than two persons which has —

(a) a maximum take-off mass not exceeding —

(i) 300kg for a single seat landplane, (or 390kg for a single seat landplane of which at least 51% was built by an amateur, or non-profit making association of amateurs, for their own purposes and without any commercial objective, in respect of which a permit to fly issued by the CAA was in force prior to 1st January 2003);

I'm not saying I'd ever load the 'max up to such ridiculous levels in reality, but it does mean that if I wanted to, I could beef up the wing and undercarriage and then put fuel tanks all over it, to give me a range of over 300 miles. I don't know that it would ever get off the ground though, so I might have to replace the 447 with a 582, or perhaps even a 912 :-^ Yea, right! And I'd have to install a toilet as well, coz my old bladder would never cope with being in the air for five hours on the trot.
              XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

Just to stretch the idea a bit that means that because you are unregulated you could, if you were daft enough, have a heavier MTOW than my, regulated, TST with its MTOW of 380kgs.
                I know your Mimimax is a tough little beast but you'd have to beef it up a bit to carry all that heavy stuff. Of course if you did the complete re-design needed you could always fit a pee tube as the gliders have. You would to make sure you didn't upset anybody though, 'cos I've heard tales of disgruntled folks tieing a knot in the tube

Comment

Ginge,

I suppose it depends on whether the tube is open to the air at the bottom. If so then you could always fly over people you don't like when you feel the urge, and water their washing on the line in the garden for them.

As to beefing up the airframe, see the thread below on someone in Italy who's done exactly that.

http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-...?m-1568618018/

Interesting when you read what he's done to his plane to beef it up for the Jab engine.
                  XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

I know the Jab is one of the lighter 4 strokes but he must have done rather more than he speaks of otherwise the W&B would be rather interesting if replacing a 447 with is a good mix of weight/power. A hell of a project though, looks good too.

Ref. pee tubes have you ever wondered how, when sometimes you can feel a spot or two of water from a clear sky? .

Comment

The father of a friend of mine flew Handley Page Hampdens in the early part of the war. Although it had four crew, the pilot was on his own up in the cockpit and couldn't move from there during flight. His pee tube went back through the fuselage and was accessable by the other crew members. Pilots had to be sure not to upset anybody because a blocked tube, or one with a knot tied in it, meant an uncomfortable overflow and spillage at the "business" end.
                      Martin Watson
                      Microlights in Norfolk
                      Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
                      07805 716407

Comment

No, Bob. Not so. Your PtF was issued by the Let's All Aviate not the Campaign Against Aviation. So you can't.

Comment

Tom,

I wouldn't/couldn't anyway, so it's moot, but it was fun to speculate. :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X