We made it !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We made it !

Apparently, all we have to do is take off, fly over one waypoint and we get a medal ! :-))
    14 aircraft here for the big event. Stalwart lads and lasses, every one of 'em.

We made it !

Well done Bill, we decided to call it the other way... Good Luck!

Comment

We made it !

Are we expecting a mass fly out to Ince then? Might just make it that far if the weather improves a bit.. Good luck all.

Comment

We made it !

Best of British guys

Comment

We made it !

Made it out of Barton at 3.30 and now relaxing in a bog ... sorry, Fenland ;-)

Only 2 and half hours flying or three if you count the first attempt to leave where I turned back after discovering the only airspace without clouds was Manchester control ... decided not to ask if I could get a transit ;-)

Lets see what weatehr can be thrown at us tomorrow.

Cheers.

Comment

We made it !

You're a brave chap Kirk! Or daft given the forecast! Rain rain rain!

Comment

We made it !

I hope the authors won't mind me copying their update emails to the forum for a wider audience. Looks like every turnpoint will count! ;-)

---------- Begin copied email chain -----------

Re: Day 1...Who's winning so far?
              Ian Lee
              TO:
              John Moore
              CC:
              Kirk Sutton
              26 More...
              Message flagged Thursday, 21 June 2012, 20:34

200 for me too. Took off and bagged Ince. Turned back to low level and squeezed under the cloud (well it is the Low level Route!). Suffice to say I was in no danger of breaching 1200 ft. Bagged Oulton Park and landed back at Ashcroft. Planning day tomorrow and as near as damn it 8 hrs flying on Saturday :-).

Regards,
              Ian lee

On 21 Jun 2012, at 20:05, John Moore wrote:

As I recall you had the trots this time last year - had to pull out of the rally because of it.

Well - trots last year and paddles this year.. you fashion baron!

On 21 Jun 2012, at 19:32, Kirk Sutton wrote:

Well I am sure I am not winning ... but I do have 200 points

I did an initial departure at 11.30 but made it three miles north of oulton park in showers and cloud down to 800AGL when it just decended to the ground in a wall across the entire lane - turnede around and went back for tea at Barton.

Left again at 3.30 and picked up oulton park at 3.50 then headed south-east aiming for home and a night in bed ... but not to be - headwinds and made the decision to head across to Fenland for another points fest and arrived at 6pm ... nice to see 7KNOTS over the ground heading past RAF Wittering ... and nice to watch the fast jets burning jetA like its going out of fashion.

For those considering heading for Fenland - its Fen and its been raining ... more puddle and bog than runway and the airmattress might be needed as a floataion aid later tonight.

Cheers.

Kirk Sutton

Subject: Re: Day 1...Who's winning so far?
              Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 19:17:11 +0100
              CC: ralliers

Your the first to report in guys.

Well done on some good decisions..

BJ

On 21 Jun 2012, at 18:43, Cheshire Microlights wrote:

Departed Barton 1100hrs, scored 100pts (yeah!!!) at Oulton Park in 3K viz and 500ft agl cloud base. Pushed on south to meet with high ground near Shawbury, so did a “U” turn. Tried to head north to bag Ince; mega poor viz and low cloud north of Warrington, so reluctantly returned to Barton. Took off again to head south at 1500hrs and made it as far as Thelwall Viaduct, where we met with cloud at 300ft agl. Returned to Barton after a 20 minute flight..” Nil Points”. Took off again at 1545hrs and made it as far as my home base at Arclid (12 miles south of Barton).

My wife was surprised to see me, but maybe not as surprised as the chap exiting the side gate! My own bed for tonight (no lodgers) and, looking at the forecast, also tomorrow.

The plan is to sit it out Friday, then cover the remaining 65 turn points on Saturday....thank goodness for the extended 1600 deadline finish!

So who is winning so far?

Stay safe,

John Bradbury & Ian Shaw (100pts)

------- End --------

Comment

We made it !

Kirk did you get my text message last night?

Comment

We made it !

Andy,

Sorry but no text ... but things come in threes, in the 4 days before flying up to Barton for this little caper the car EMC died, the hot water died and the last to die was the iphone on the day before I left. So with all three bad things out of the way I felt it safe to fly ;-) and now I feel safe sitting in an airfield cafe for the day watching ducks walk past.

Comment

We made it !

If you'd have done another 30mins south to Bourn I could have put you up for the night and given you a hangar [IMG]/emoticons/smile.gif[/IMG]

clearly you didn't get my message!

There is a good restaurant at Fenland though.

Comment

We made it !

I'm sat at home looking at the cr*p waether outside :-) I'm still looking forward to meeting up with everyone tomorrow afternoon to see where we all got to. My plan.....is to fly south, and then north tomorrow! That's about all it entails at the moment ;-)

Comment

We made it !

Day 1: Finally got away from Barton at about 1535. Clawed our way south through the murk and bagged 100 points at Oulton Park. Had hoped it would be a bit better to get Malvern Hills for another 100 points, but not to be. Low cloud, rain and rising ground ahead EEK! Routed eastward around the high ground and made for Wolverhampton. They kindly switched on the runway lights, which appeared through the crud at about four miles to run. Beautiful sight!
                        Day 2: No flying, plan to do the rest of the waypoints tomorrow Seriously strong winds aloft made this devout coward remain firmly on mother earth. Guy Gratton did likewise and hopes to emulate our cunning plan in the morning

Big vote of thanks to the folks at Wolverhampton for discounted landing fee and overnight parking, then no charge for second night as they treated it as a weather diversion. Very hospitable and good humoured bunch.

Comment

We made it !

Thanks for the updates guys. For those of us having to fly a desk this week it's good to see these updates!

Comment

We made it !

XC weather showing much better tomorrow and Sunday.

Stay safe.

Comment

We made it !

From Grant Finney

Evening John, Sorry to bother U but just wanted to check something. Do we definitely have to get back to Barton in order to register a score? The weather forecasts R looking poor for the back end of Saturday and Sunday and we need to b back on the south coast on Sunday! Oh by the way we reached Wellesbourne today and I think picked up 600 points. G-CEDI

The answer was yes - you must get back to Barton to register your score. xcweather.co.uk suggests better weather?

Comment

Working...
                              X