We made it !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We made it !

Kirk if you can get down to bourn near Cambridge b4 dark the offer still stands . .

...though seems as if the wind might drop a bit tonight.

Comment

We made it !

JM wrote: The answer was yes - you must get back to Barton to register your score. xcweather.co.uk suggests better weather?
      Bit harsh isn't it? given the circumstances it would be easy to gather the data from the logger to confirm the points were gathered within the rally timescales... Provided the team were to get the loggers couriered back to you.

Can't help thinking you're bullying people into flying in poor conditions here, John. I mean, sure, everyone is responsible for their own decisions, but this isn't what most would consider fair...

Comment

We made it !

Rule one has not changed - its been as is right from the start.

Rule 1.To complete the Rally the pilot must fly the same microlight from Barton Aerodrome and return to Barton Aerodrome between the 21st June and 23rd June. An aircraft may not be transported to gain any distance for the period of the Rally except in flight under its own power.

Comment

We made it !

Rule 0. A pilot should do all in his/her power not to kill him/herself or passenger.

Of course, your call John. You don't have to stick to the rules so steadfast in such a way as to put pressure on people to make dangerous decisions (even if it is ultimately up to them). Things can be flexible, it's supposed to be fun.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be so cocky if the next headline we saw in the tabloids related to an accident this week, regardless of whether it was the pilot's fault or not.

Comment

We made it !

Not ultimately - it is! Copied below for your information.

What about the pilot who blagged a few sites and returned early? Should he/she be disadvantaged because others went further and got weathered out? No.

I would be interested if any of the competitors thought I was being unreasonable however.

If you ask the competitors you will also learn that I am far from "cocky". The start, for example, was debated and a group vote as the start/no start.

(Extract of Part 10 - Duties of the Commander.

87 The commander of a flying machine must, before take-off, take all reasonable steps

so as to be satisfied that it is capable of safely taking off, reaching and maintaining a

safe height and making a safe landing at the place of intended destination having

regard to:

(a) the performance of the flying machine in the conditions to be expected on the

intended flight

Comment

We made it !

John, there is quoting 'the rules', then there is being unreasonable....

>If you ask the competitors you will also learn that I am far from "cocky". The start, for example, was debated and a group vote >as the start/no start.

I'm sure this is entirely correct, John, but this is not how it looks here.

Anyway I have aired my view, I shall say no more.

Comment

We made it !

Manchester today from around 1400 - 1800 heavy rain so how those still taking part are supposed to return is a mystery only the organiser knows
                While weather reporting will never be an exact science the weather scientists at the Met Office / Aviation Group are also mostly practising pilots.
                From last Tuesday onwards it was very clear that the 3 days would be a right off for flying, if the RBR had been one of the National Rounds it would have been cancelled and a new date published.
                So what is a great event has been ruined for everyone by proceeding when forecast and actual conditions were not only dangerous but barely legal - check your insurance conditions - perhaps the BMAA should insist this individual goes on the Weather Decisions course at the Met Office Exeter before being allowed to run another event.
                For 58.00 per year you can register with Met Office services from which more information is available than to non registered

I cannot recommend highly enough the Weather Decisions Course at Exeter - run by professional pilots who are also weather scientists its a must for any regular flyer

Comment

We made it !

The skill in getting back to barton is to be there before any weather arrives, perfectly flyable at ince with a fairly strong wind. Rans just set off to scoop more points then get to barton early afternoon. If a pilot thinks they cannot get there safely, then they don't attempt it, simple! It is a pilots responsibility, not the organisers
                  Carl (BMAA 0794)

Comment

We made it !

Someone who shall remain namelessf also saw this thread and decided to get his high horse out for his moment of fame on the internet. As for getting back to Barton .... too right otherwise competitors would have just headed off all over the place to get as many points as possible without a thought of planning to get back to Barton. Including the finish point then requires the competitor to plan for it taking into account all the weather problems, if that meant just flying to the closest accessible waypoints then so be it.

Comment

We made it !

We all know PJK still posts on these forums, funny how the other post (on barton's public facebook page) you talk of Frank is so similar to the one above, but goes further in mentioning names and publicly implying the event was made dangerous by it's organisation. Maybe one day PJK will learn!

The weather was pleasant at Barton, I landed at 5.30 to watch what was going on and show my support, I then flew back to Ince at 6.30, put the aircraft away then drove to Barton for the awards since two of the Ince lot competed (one of them being the missus) and the rain didn't start till 8.00.

From what I observed a good time was had by all without any hint of an incident. Well done everyone that took part and well done to John for his efforts in organising the RBR
                      Carl (BMAA 0794)

Comment

We made it !

Glad to hear it went well in the end, what a relief .

Who's PJK ??

Comment

We made it !

I agree 100% with Carl. Those who wanted to take part did so, and other chose not to. Fairy nuff either way. I for one was not under any undue duress, and the weather was marginal...but flyable. I ended up aborting my effort at getting the waypoints down near Coventry yesterday because the winds aloft were too choppy for comfort (first time I've unlatched my visor in preparation for a "technicolour yawn"), but I did manage to bag Buxton VRP. I made my way back up to Barton in plenty of time for the finish and landed in 20 Kt winds gusting to 35. What have I got out of it?
                          1. I stretched my limits
                          2. I can fly in 20kt winds and 35kt gusts, however I normally won't bother
                          3. I met a fantastic group of fellow aviators. Carl, Laura is a gem, and one gutsy lady
                          4. I respect John Moore for putting on the event. It may not agree with everyone but by letting aviators make the choice we all got back with no accidents. Well done John. PLEASE do another next year!!!!!
                          5. My tent doesn't leak [IMG]/emoticons/wink.gif[/IMG], unlike Bill & Roger's.
                          6. I do apparently snore! Sorry guys.

and most important of all

I WON my class [IMG]/emoticons/smile.gif[/IMG]

Comment

We made it !

Well done Ian !

Comment

We made it !

Hi all,

I have just installed myself in my favourite armchair with my feet up.

The event went without incident. Almost all who started made it back to Barton (the schools were doing circuits most of the afternoon by the way).

This year was much, much, much easier to pull together than last year because it was all pretty familiar stuff. Barton were excellent. Nothing was too much problem - same for Mark @ Mainair... thanks for charging up my radio and the spontaneous question regarding air law - 9% whoo hoo I got it right..

The scoring system worked exceptionally well. Two loggers had not recorded on two of the days however the pilots were able to prove their trip by other means (trace from an iPad, a 296 and a camera). Working one to one with the pilot to reach the agreed score worked really well with no arguments at all. I laughed my c*ck off at the guy who flew down to Start Point on the south coast then over Cape Wrath at the top of Scotland. He was that keen not to "do an RMH" he flew around them half a dozen times haha.

Help. I had asked most of the BMAA Council to help and had a HELP ME link on the website. Despite this I only had one volunteer come forward so thank you to Barton staff for marshalling etc. I am not convinced that any more staff would have made the event run any more smoothly though. I had simplified just about as much as possible so it was all pretty straight forward. The only unknown was Google Earth and the loggers. Pleased to say my simples method worked well despite one or two merchants of doom. Bless them..

Finally thanks to Kirk for tweaking the spreadsheet for me, Guy for checking the score sheet and John Bradbury for his support. Wolverhampton has been mentioned in dispatches too.

Oh... More curry required (hands up all who had two portions though )

BJ

Ian Lee wrote: I agree 100% with Carl. Those who wanted to take part did so, and other chose not to. Fairy nuff either way. I for one was not under any undue duress, and the weather was marginal...but flyable. I ended up aborting my effort at getting the waypoints down near Coventry yesterday because the winds aloft were too choppy for comfort (first time I've unlatched my visor in preparation for a "technicolour yawn", but I did manage to bag Buxton VRP. I made my way back up to Barton in plenty of time for the finish and landed in 20 Kt winds gusting to 35. What have I got out of it?
                              1. I stretched my limits
                              2. I can fly in 20kt winds and 35kt gusts, however I normally won't bother
                              3. I met a fantastic group of fellow aviators. Carl, Laura is a gem, and one gutsy lady
                              4. I respect John Moore for putting on the event. It may not agree with everyone but by letting aviators make the choice we all got back with no accidents. Well done John. PLEASE do another next year!!!!!
                              5. My tent doesn't leak [IMG]/emoticons/wink.gif[/IMG], unlike Bill & Roger's.
                              6. I do apparently snore! Sorry guys.

and most important of all

I WON my class [IMG]/emoticons/smile.gif[/IMG]

Comment

We made it !

Well done John. Shows the power of volunteers over 'pressed men'.

Joan

Comment

Working...
                                X