Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Landing Light

Hi Peter,

ALL MR16s are 'approved', otherwise, as with any electrical item, it would be illegal to sell it in Europe!
    Just depends on how honest the manufacturer is. Anyone can apply a 'CE' mark.
    And Trading Standards just don't want to know if you report an item like yours. They should take action.

The RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain) would be very interested in your LED lamp, if you chuck it in their direction - they are mounting a strong campaign against this sort of thing.
    You could fit one of these in your kitchen and completely ruin the radio amateur's hobby next door.

Your RG59 is single cored coax. You need a screened 'pair' - two wires with a shield. Good quality microphone lead would be ideal. Just be sure to ground the shield at one end only - probably the supply end.

Dave

Comment

LED Landing Light

Thanks Dave.
      You're right about the RG59......I looked at the wrong cable.....(I have a few here to try).
      I think I might try an MR16 from a major reputable supplier.....in the hope that it conforms to the legal requirements.
      Thanks again,
      Peter.

Comment

LED Landing Light

Problem solved.
        (With thanks to everyone in this thread who enlightened me about LEDs and EMC regulations).
        Simple fix in the end......I bought an LED bulb from a reputable manufacturer, that was EMC compliant.
        Tried it on the plane this morning......no interference at all ! Same spec as the original bulb in terms of brightness.....so VERY bright at 450 lumens (1600 candelas).
        Cost more than twice as much......but worth every penny.
        No more messing about with screened cables, ferrite rings, capacitors or metal shields.
        Hooray.

Comment

LED Landing Light

Peter I have been following this thread with interest!
          Now you have a LED that works may we have the part number manufacturer etc?
          Regards

Comment

LED Landing Light

Hi Paul.
            I narrowed the choice down to 3.
            2 were priced at £13 each......but I splashed out and treated myself to this one....at £23.
            Not cheap I know.....but I was more than happy to pay for quality on this occasion.

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/MR16-Megaman/LED-Dimming-MR16-Spotlight-8W-Cool-White-36-Degree-12V-Megaman

Attached files

Comment

LED Landing Light

Peter,

I too have been following this with interest. Can I ask where you sourced the fairing for the landing light fitting?

Phil

Comment

LED Landing Light

Hi Phil.
                Kevin Woods makes them.
                kevin@bcook5.orangehome.co.uk

Comment

LED Landing Light

Peter, How about the details of the rubbish LED?
                  I still think you could send it to the RSGB to help them in their campaign against this stuff.
                  Dave

Comment

LED Landing Light

Peter Banks wrote:
                    Hi Phil.
                    Kevin Woods makes them.
                    kevin@bcook5.orangehome.co.uk
                    Thanks, Peter.

Comment

LED Landing Light

We did an awful lot of r&d on the landing lights to make sure there was no radio interference, the same when we manufactured the strobe units, having been plagued with inferior products we made sure our units would please our customers. unfortunately the company closed due to lack of support/demand. I do have some new/old stock of the landing lights left after the liquidation complete with the fairings.
                      The interference is caused by power switching usually, screening will rarely eliminate completely.

all the best

Trev (ex Bailey strobes)

Comment

LED Landing Light

I have a system that i installed from a company called crazedpilots, and have had installed for about six months, and work fine.
                        Itís often best to keep one's mouth shut, and let everyone think you are a twit, than open it, and remove all bloody doubt....

Comment

Working...
                        X