Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Landing Light

Hi all,
    I've just changed my landing light to an LED type bulb.
    It's very bright, and only uses 5watts of power.
    Problem is......it's causing massive interference (hissing) on the radio......making it quite unusable.
    I tried fitting a ferrite ring near the bulb end.....but it made no difference.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?
    Anyone know of a fix?

LED Landing Light

Common problem - google LED light interference...
    Have the same problem at home with LED bathroom lights interfering with radios.

Nice explanation here:
    http://www.ukqrm.org.uk/lighting.php

Comment

LED Landing Light

Hi Peter,
      Fitting an LED bulb in place of a halogen bulb does not seem to cause the problem - is your lamp a cree type? If so there is some sort of 'driver' and I think this gives the interference. If you wrap the headlamp in lead sheet the problem should go away....
      AndyB

Comment

LED Landing Light

Dave....thanks for the link.....informative - but unfortunately they don't suggest a remedy.
        Andy. Thanks for the idea of a lead shield.
        I was going to try a tin-foil shield, with a wire attached to earth.
        The bulb I have is an MR16 style, (12v). 460 LM (very bright). 60*beam angle. 5 watt. Manufactured by Lumilife.
        I bought it from 'Ledhut'. They couldn't suggest a cure.....but offered a refund. I'd like to persevere with it a bit yet.
        All suggestions welcome.
        Thanks.

Comment

LED Landing Light

Hi Peter,
          Wrapping it all in lead sheet was meant as a joke......but reading your post again it sounds like you have just changed the bulb rather than fitted a cree type lamp. The bulbs I have changed have been H3 ones and given no problems - and the reduction in power useage is useful.
          AndyB

Comment

LED Landing Light

Hi Andy,
            Using an H3 style bulb sounds like a good option if I cant get this MR16 type to work.
            (I knew you were kidding about a 'lead' shield).
            The 'tin foil' shield however is a bona-fide idea from some of the radio-interference sites I've been looking at.
            PeteB

Comment

LED Landing Light

Hi Peter

Perhaps you missed the bit under Mariners Beware where they suggest a solution?

'The best solution is to fit EMC-compliant LED solutions. If you wish to retro-fit LEDs to existing lamps, ensure they are resistor-limited, as these will not cause interference to your radios.'

Comment

LED Landing Light

I'm surprised that it's possible to sell non EMC compliant bulbs, but you learn something new every day.

If the landing light was powered from a separate battery, it would be possible to find out if the interference was on the power supply or was RF in nature. If the radio becomes clean it's a power supply problem (being dirtied by an inverter?) but if not it's RF.

If it's RF then the bulb is destined for the bin or a refund, IMV.

Comment

LED Landing Light

Thanks Dave......yes I did miss that. Thanks for pointing it out.
                  I guess I was looking for a solution in terms of adding a filter, or a choke or something like that.
                  Cheers,
                  Pete.

Comment

LED Landing Light

Steve - I tried connecting the bulb to an independent battery today......and then moved a hand held radio around the plane.
                    Lots of interference heard in the vicinity around the bulb.
                    I then 'jiggled' the wire......and the change of sound could be heard in the radio noise.
                    My guess is that the bulb is generating the noise.....and using the power supply cable as a transmitter aerial.
                    I'm going to try some screened cable, and perhaps Earth the screen at one, or both, ends.
                    The only other thing I can think of is fitting a suppressor capacitor across the back of the bulb.
                    If all that fails.....then it's probably as you say....'destined for the bin'!
                    Cheers,
                    Pete.

Edited to add: Well - I tried all those things, with no luck.
                    Looks like it's going in the bin.

Comment

LED Landing Light

Hi Pete,
                      Had no issues with purpose built LED light fitting from Bailey Strobes, did the job and went flying.

Comment

LED Landing Light

The EMC legislation seems to be regarded as a joke by some suppliers. Lost count of the kit (usually home PC type things) that have space for EMC components that might have been fitted for testing and approval, but are omitted in production (EMC components are generally more expensive). As someone who labours to get kit approved, it's galling to see competitors ignore the legislation and gain a profit advantage.

LED lamps usually have a switching driver that will generate EM noise. As Steve says, it's generated in the lamp itself, but uses the supply wiring as an antenna to radiate. A filter, fitted as close to the lamps socket as possible should fix it, or reduce it significantly. Running the supply wires as a pair back to the supply helps too. Get some screened 2-core and ground the screen at one end only - to the airframe.

Dave

Comment

LED Landing Light

Thanks Dave.
                          I have tried that......but only with some cheap twin screened cable.
                          I got some RG59 cable to try now.....it's double screened - with foil and braid....so will be interesting to see if that works.
                          Ferrites close to the bulb didn't seem to help much I'm afraid.
                          Can you recommend an MR16 bulb that is EMC approved?
                          I can't seem to find much mention of EMC approved by the manufacturers.
                          The one I have is 460 lumens and 60 degree beam angle.
                          It's very bright......but no use if I can't get rid of the noise.
                          Cheers.

Comment

LED Landing Light

Just replaced another H3 halogen bulb with a 3W LED bulb and no problems.
                            So a solution, Pete, may be to buy a headlamp with an H3 halogen bulb and then change it for an LED one.
                            AndyB

Comment

LED Landing Light

Thanks Andy.
                              Yes.....looks like I'm going to have to scrap this bulb.
                              Shame.....because it was sooo bright.
                              Cheers,
                              PeteB

Comment

Working...
                              X