• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Icom A3 Radio transmission

How did you get on Dennis ?

Comment

Hi GTW ( sorry, don,t know your name )

I have not posted sooner as Jeremy and I only met today.
      Jeremy turned up as promised with his equipment and his own Icom A3, with his tests he proved that my new aerial From Dave Gray of Flycom was installed correctly and works perfectly ( easy to follow instructions ). My Icom performed perfectly, checked its output against Jeremy,s Icom.

This therefore leaves only my Lynx headset and my new Lynx interface. The output transmission level from my Icom and Jeremy,s via the interface was woefully inadequate due to either the interface or a combination of the interface / headset. Therefore I will be contacting Lynx tomorrow for their comments and subsequently returning both the headset and the interface back to them for repair.

Naturally I will post the results on here for all to see.

Plus a big thank you to Jeremy for his expert help. Always amazed at how much information this man knows. Makes me feel inadequate.

Regards

Dennis

Comment

Thanks Dennis, It's Graham. I have always read anything Jeremy contributes to, despite a lot of the technical detail evading my simple mind. Great to know there are many people like him in microlighting who willingly help out at the drop of a hat. Right now I need a lot :-)

Comment

Just a quick update. Took Lynx just over two weeks but bless em, they checked out my headset and that is A1 after five years service ( looked after with tlc at that price ). However, the radio adaptor / interface did have a problem, so the coiled lead from the adaptor was replaced, they said it was choking the output. Exactly as Jeremy said.

So I will refit this weekend and hope its good enough to go flying and check it out.

Once again I will confirm on here.

Oh, almost forgot, thanks must go to Jeremy and Lynx ( free repair of course ) But there again its only five months old and has obviously been faulty since new.

Dennis

Comment

Final post on this thread.
            Reinstalled the radio adaptor / interface and transmission proved succesful to another aircraft on the ground, then got airborne on one of the few good days this winter. Called Brize Norton ATC for a radio check and yes a perfect five reception reading from the lady in control. Apart from a lowish cloud base flight was good too. Plenty of mud to clean afterwards.

And a final thanks to all contributors on this thread especially Jeremy, oh and Lynx of course.

Regards
            Dennis

Comment

Hi Jeremy,
              Maybe you can solve my problem as well. I have a Icom A3e and get a "low battery" indication when I press to transmit, although the transmission goes out okay. I renewed my battery and bought one of their battery pack cartridges as well to carry as spare. I have cleaned the contacts between battery and main unit but this niggling glitch remains. Any ideas?

Comment

Bill, sounds to me like you've developed a dry joint inside the radio. When you key up the transmitter the extra current required for the Power Amplifier will drop more volts than normal across a dry joint, thus fooling your radio battery level measuring circuit into thinking the battery's knackered.

Try sending it to ICOM if you're no good with a soldering iron.

Comment

Good point... I had assumed the battery would have died by now if not getting any charge.

Aren't the battery pack 'cartridges' just holders for AA cells though (no sure)? rather than the packs which are seal batteries...?.

Comment

Jeremy and Andy,
                    Yes, I am getting a good healthy "click" from the battery unit and the battery seems to warm up over the charging time.
                    I'm getting the same "low battery" indication with the battery cartridge, which is just a holder for ten rechargeable cells, which are all brand new. Although slightly heavier that the sealed unit, the cartridge contents can be changed a lot cheaper than buying a new main cell. One thing I haven't checked though,now come to think of it, is do I get the same indication in the "receive" signal mode. I suspect I am, although in receive, it draws less current than in transmit I think.

Comment

Jeremy,
                      I'm slightly north of Swindon - by about 600 miles! I fly out of Wick.
                      Why didn't I think of trying the external connection - I'll try that today. You have been very helpfull again - we have been in touch over on the PFA bulletin board (Brumas) regarding SSDR ideas.

Comment

Hi Jeremy, How did you get hold of the Schematic?!?

Comment

Jeremy,
                          If it's like a chinese puzzle inside I'd better leave well alone. I'll get it away to ICOM to be put right.
                          Thanks again.

PS. I didn't get to the micro today - lambing season has just started and the little blighters are dropping out all over the place! It's a good job it's not flying weather.

Comment

Jeremy I have the schematic for the A20 on pdf would that help.

Nick.
                            "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickjaxe/videos.

Comment

Working...
                            X