Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Icom A3 Radio transmission

What a friendly lot! This is what microlighting is all about.
    This kind of camaraderie will make for safer aircraft and pilots. Lets keep it up!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Jeremy,
    I get around the south a lot in my job and will be in Oxford next Tuesday (12th Dec), that will only take the morning, so I should be available all pm and can get across to Redlands. I can be contacted at home on 01865 730439 or my works mobile ( daytime only Monday to Friday) 07767 850252 Obviously my Minimax is kept in the main hanger at Redlands. Or my email address at home is denniswpearce at aol.com

Many many thanks,

Dennis

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hi Jeremy again,
    It would appear from your two posts would seem to suggest either the headest interface or the aerial. Cannot see how it could be the interface as there there is little to to get wrong when connecting it, but the aerial is mounted on the floor just in front of my seat in the middle of the floor pan. My feet go nowhere near this connection when getting in. But I will check the connections again at the weekend.

Regards

Dennis

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hi Jeremy,
    Thats amazing, I am gobsmacked at your incredible generosity of help. Its patently obvious your knowledge extends way beyond my very limited level. I would be grateful for your help to try and resolve my problem. However, I keep my Icom and headset at home and would not be able to get it to my Minimax until Saturday. You must have been writing this as I was writing my replies to the previous answers and our mails crossed.

Regards
    Dennis

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

So was mine Dennis

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hi Guys,
    Thanks again for the replies, I will try to answer all plus GTW,s as well in this email.

First off, GTW, don,t think your problem applies to my setup as the aerial is brand new, as is the lynx radio adaptor, which only leaves my Lynx headset and my Icom A3e radio. The radio as said in my previous post has been checked out by Icom, so should be eliminated. My headset is kept in perfect condition but is about 5 years old and holds its charge for a couple of months minimum.

Nick, I use my radio minus its battery. The Latest A6 battery is permanently attached, but I, like many microlight pilots use my A3 minus the battery because it is too bulky when mounted on the instrument display. I then have a small lead that connects in the right hand side to a small sealed battery that is hidden from view. But I will check, as you suggest, the voltage output from the battery, to see if its pushing out 13v, but are you right about 5 amps, surely that is way too high ?

Andrew, I don,t think my headset would fall into your category with the faulty batch as mine is not that new. Also I have used my icom with a remote battery in my previous setup and it worked fine then, so I think it is designed to operate with its supplied battery or a remote one. I also like the suggestion of swapping with other guys at the airfield to see if it highlights the problem.

Thanks again guys.

Regards

Dennis

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I had a similar problem, solved by resoldering the dry, tatty joints in the antenna base mount.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought that there was an intercom box that you were adapting.
    There is a chance that your headset lead has a problem. There were a batch of headsets where the lead went intermittent, mine included, and, because you can hear the sidetone (your own voice) it's not easily noticeable. Contact a Lynx dealer and get them to check if your serial no is in the range of the faulty batch, should be a free fix.
    Otherwise swap and change between yours and other pilots icom radios, adaptors and headsets untill you can narrow it down to which part is at fault.
    Also, the charge and power jacks on the Icom A3 are different sizes, so they can't be interchanged, and it should be powered from the one on the radio not the battery.
    Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Axworthy
    replied

Dennis you say you plug the battery into the right hand side of the icom, is that into the radio ni-cad battery, I seem to remember but I may have it wrong that if you plug a 13v supply into your radio it should be pluged into the socket on top of the radio somthing to do with not getting the full volts if you plug into the battery, also the feed wire from the battery needs to be able to carry 5amps, have you not got the ni-cad battery pack to run the radio from even just to test the whole system again just in case the way you are powering the radio it may not be getting its 13v suppy.

Nick.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hi Nick & Andrew,
    Thanks for your replies, I will try and answer both in the same post. Yes Nick, your suggestion should establish if the radio is ok. I will try it when I am back at Redlands with one of the other guys there. But I think it will be ok, because Icom have checked it out.
    This should also establish part of Andrews suggestion. However Andrew, if you look at www.wiggleys.com site and go to the Lynx section you can see a picture of the radio adaptor that is sold by Lynx and is what I use between my headset and my Icom. Its called a Radio Adaptor and is priced at 72.41. My Lynx headset plugs into the radio adaptor and the radio aaptor then plugs in to the top of the Icom. The ptt which is in my stick that controls the ailerons/ elevator is then also connected to that same radio adaptor as can be seen from the picture. So you see from that it should all work perfectly, but it does not transmit a strong signal. This system is a lynx powerred sytem for one headset and not the type that you are referring to which I had in my last aircraft, a Rans S6.

Regards
    Dennis

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hi Dennis,
    We need to establish whether it is a weak RF signal or a weak audio signal. The A3 mic input is designed to take a very high audio signal so the adaptor and intercom should be the 1st suspect. Try it with just the new aerial, using the internal mic and speaker. I suspect you will end up having to buy a Lynx powered intercom ...
    I have researched into making a Lynx intercom, as they are horrendously expensive, but could not find out enough information or a source for the parts.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Axworthy
    replied

[2]
    Hi dennis It seems that your probs have only started since you fitted your vhf to your new aircraft, I know you said the weak transmission is the same with the rubber duck as well as the aircraft ant, but I wonder have you tried transmitting with the radio away from the aircraft with the radio working like a walkie talkie on its rubber duck to eliminate the prob being on the aircraft or the lynx sys now that you have had to adapt it, I had to do a similar thing with my vhf and found the having a vhf scanner radio at home helped, I went up the road from were I live and made a short transmission on a freq I new not to be in use and got the wife to listen to it on the scanner for me they do come in handy sometimes wives that is.

Nick Axworthy.
    [/2]

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Icom A3 Radio transmission

Hi Folks,
    Hopefully someone can help with my problem.

I have a Minimax and transferred my Icom A3e and my Lynx headset from my last aircraft to this one. However, as the previous owner was a GA pilot he had a twin socket headset arrangement which I had to change to use my Lynx. Well I purchased from Lynx a single headset adapter which connects my headset via this connector to the top of My Icom. The Icom gets its supply from a small sealed battery which plugs into the right hand side.

The previous owner used the rubber duck aerial with his Icom, but I purchased an external aerial from Dave Gray at Flycom and mounted it on the underside of my Max, with the ground plane inside as per Daves instructions in the shape of the St Davids flag of Scotland.

The reception is perfect, I have no trouble receiving any transmissions with a strong signal. But I cannot transmit a strong signal, the only people that can hear me is in close proximity to my aircraft. I have checked all connections, but they all look ok. I even sent my Icom back to Icom and they said there is nothing wrong with the radio.

Incidently the transmission was just the same with the rubber duck aerial.

Don,t really know where to go with it next. Has anyone got any ideas please.

Regards

Dennis :sad:
Working...
X