The Alphabet Challenge Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Alphabet Challenge Chat

[blue] [4]Use this post to talk with others about the Challenge and to ask questions.[/4] [/blue]

Latest news is I spent 45 minutes today after work designing and programming the CNC to make the winning trophy. I only have 2 more days at work before Christmas break, so the trophy will be made in the New Year and you will see a photo of it in the BMAA February magazine. If youíre not a BMAA member and donít get the magazine I will post an online photo in this post in May, if you canít wait till May then join BMAA before to get the mag.

You can find the alphabet challenge map here.
    http://www.microlightforum.com/content.php?239-alphabet-challenge-map

To add an airfield to the map yourself then edit it in google maps. You must be a google member to edit it.

Comment

Had an interesting question from an online friend, question: is this Challenge UK only or can we use airfields in Europe? This also made me think of another friend I have that flyís a Quik and also flyís an Airbus for British Airways as a job. So my answer is:

Only flights in the UK count and the UK means England, Scotland, Wales all of Ireland, Isle of Man, Silly Isles, Shetlands and Orkney. I would like to think that people taking part only use airfields landed at from a Microlight, but I donít want to exclude people that fly any other type of aircraft if they are BMAA members then it donít matter, if you have a helicopter a gyrocopter hang glider or an British Airways Airbus A380

Now if you live in Europe and want to take part and you are a BMAA member then post back now so I can rethink how to include you!

Comment

Just finished the sticker and now official logo for the alphabet challenge see photo it could also be used for t-shirts etc. the colour in this photo is not 100% as I had to covert the file for upload I may make a few small changes too. The Sticker is round white the blue background is just a fill for the photo.

Attached files

Comment

Who is the TSHIT for Brian and dont look at me.

Comment

Can I just ask . . .
            Does your HOME airfield count as full points, or a lower percentage?
            JM

edited to add :

Also, after my name, I have listed in brackets my total fields visited,

so we can all see at a glance who's ahead, (0 so far), is this a good idea to be adopted ?

JM
            (Trustee of the Bakers Dozen Syndicate)

Comment

Home Airfield counts for what points I have given them so an A would be 1 or a V8 "now that sounds like a big engine"

Comment

Don't be afraid to ring me for a landing or a T & G, a fiver in the pot and all of it for the local Air Ambulance. 07830206284

Viners strip is at

Co-Ords N52.28.831 W001.20.534

Comment

Brian, thanks for that confirmation, however I am slightly concerned that some, er, less than scrupulous competitors may attempt to rename their strips in order to take advantage of the extra points on offer for certain letters.
                  Take a random letter worth more than average points, V for example. I have heard of a private strip that is owned by a farmer
                  (Mr Victor Venables) which is very long, and near the village of Virley near Maldon in Essex.
                  Known locally as the Maldon strip, for the sake of this challenge, it could easily be dubiously renamed as . . .
                  Victor Venables Very long strip in Virley.
                  Would this be considered as bending the rules ?????
                  Please clarify
                  JM
                  P.S (he also has a daughter called Shirley)

Comment

Donít worry John itís a fun challenge today I done a touch and go at Glidden farm but I did not count it as I got lower I could see the ground was very bumpy I only got one back wheel on the ground and looking forward at the trees, I put on full power for safety. There is no shame in not winning and the goals I have set could be won by anyone that takes part, itís a fun challenge and if you donít take part on site you can still do it like some are.

Comment

Just been thinking about the first person to complete the challenge and a possible problem that could occur and thatís the reason for this post.

So we are all sure before it happens to substantiate this.

[green][3]The first person to complete the challenge; is the person that has posted information on this site to confirm all letters have been archived first [/green][/3]and if a person posts after that person with a landing date before the other person then it will be awarded to the person that has posted first on the site, thatís why itís important to update information frequently.

:smurf:

When typing in the last one on the list be very careful about making an edit to your post after that point as it will be the time of your last edit that counts, so if you have a small typo just leave it or you could fail to another for making an edit.

Comment

Yesterday, last day of the holiday I thought I would get a few letters under my belt.
                        I had planned some short local hops, to Beccles, then Ludham, onto Northrepps, and finally Weybourne.
                        Depending on the time, I had hoped I could even perhaps add Little Snoring or Shipdham on the way back to Priory Farm.
                        Alas, the damp weather had allowed the gremlins into the radio, and I couldn't transmit or receive.
                        I decided not to try this trip without any radio at all, so I only managed 20 mins in the air !
                        Still, I did log Priory Farm as my first letter, after a disappointing early return to base.
                        JM

Comment

Brian.....Will Carol Vorderman be presenting the prize?

Comment

Whilst I would love to take part in this great idea....according to the rules set down by Brian on 27 December regarding the definition of the UK I will not be able to!! ....as Wales no longer seems to constitute a part of the UK :lol: .......I am sure that this was surely a mistaken omission...with now sloght intended towards yor Celtic cousins west of the border :nono: ...Or are we now West England!!!! :rofl: :turn:

Comment

Sion Llewelyn wrote: Whilst I would love to take part in this great idea....according to the rules set down by Brian on 27 December regarding the definition of the UK I will not be able to!! ....as Wales no longer seems to constitute a part of the UK :lol: .......I am sure that this was surely a mistaken omission...with now sloght intended towards yor Celtic cousins west of the border :nono: ...Or are we now West England!!!! :rofl: :turn:
                              Just added Wales to the list as i seemed to forget it in my list.

Comment

Working...
                              X