X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exams

Hi People.

How difficult / easy did you find them.

Is the "Microlight Pilots Handbook" enough info to get a pass?

Exams

Hi Vince,

See JT ref the Airlaw by Geof Wieghall book. I found this

very good.

Cheers Paul.

Comment

Exams

The handbook is enough to get you a pass. It is very concise though, so you'll probably find yourself reading other stuff to back up what you've read in there.

But at the end of the day you can pass just by using that book. You need to know all of it though :-)

Comment

Exams

Vince Gledhill wrote:

Is the "Microlight Pilots Handbook" enough info to get a pass?
        Vince, Yes it is, I read the book to do all my exam's as my then instructor did not do ground school.
        Read the chapters several times before taking the exams though :yeah: , I've since sat in on other students ground school

lessons and found it much easier learning when things are explained, and you can ask questions and get answers to items

your not sure about.

I actually did quite well with my results just reading the book, and was fasinated with meteorology,

Boy what a subject got 97% on that one :turn:

Comment

Exams

Thanks guys. Was wondering about the ground schools. I think I should do it too... it's just that the bills are running up. And there's my Hangeridge to pay for too.

Hi Paul. Yeah, I've bought that book but just wondered if "the book" was enough to get me through. I've got a full set of the Jeppensen PPL dvd's too to add to the education.

Comment

Exams

Thought I could perhaps re-surface this thread....

I'm currently studying for my Airlaw exam for my Flexwing licence. I thought I was doing quite well - I have been avidly reading Cosgrove's book for months and (what I perceived) really digesting it. I took a ground school session with my instructor which really put things into perspective and he even printed me off some notes.

Then I found the online mock exam on the Microlight Hangar site and thought I'd try it.....but found it quite hard.....and failed :sad: After having another go, I found alot of the questions repeated and so I have now got quite a respectable score the more times I've done it.

The trouble is, when do I know when I'm ready to take it? Are the online tests a fair example? Can you pass by just reading Cosgrove's Handbook? How hard did people generally find them? Do most people pass first time, or do you have to often re-sit them? Or, am I pysching myself out too much about all this?

....does anyone have a good way of remembering Marshalling signals?

Comment

Exams

Hi Alex,
              I took my exams about a month ago! I only used the Cosgrove book and passed them all first time, but there were a number of questions that cosgrove just doesn't cover...i remember looking at the Air Law one and the first question was about milligrams of alcohol in the body!!

I also used the microlight hangar mock exams but I know what you mean about the repetition. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is read the book and make notes and revision cards and you'll take it all in eventually, but I am still a student so the art of cramming the night before an exam is still a valid option! :lol: Hope that helps!

James

Comment

Exams

I have just been offered a complete set of "The Air Pilot's Manuals" Volumes 1-6 last updated in 1993 - I realise that these are very old and that there is a Manual that refers to Air Law now on sale, specifically for Microlites, The question is, these manuals are very old so should I purchase the book mentioned above instead (Not tight but Careful)
                David Newington

Comment

Exams

Dave Newington (Been told I could) wrote:
                  I have just been offered a complete set of "The Air Pilot's Manuals" Volumes 1-6 last updated in 1993 - I realise that these are very old and that there is a Manual that refers to Air Law now on sale, specifically for Microlites, The question is, these manuals are very old so should I purchase the book mentioned above instead (Not tight but Careful)
                  David Newington
                  Personaly I'd not bother with those Dave, as you say they are out of date and they are not microlight orientated. The study book that you need is Brian Cosgroves Microlight Pilots Handbook, just make sure that you get the latest edition (7). It is quite possible to pass all your exams with that one slim book, many of us have done. As mentioned above you will find Geof Wieghalls book on air law for microlights useful as it is aimed specificaly at helping microlight student pilots.
                  When you feel ready you can try these practice exams from the Island Microlight Club in Malta who use the BMAA syllabus
                  http://islandmicrolightclub.com/ptt/...php?topic=24.0

Ginge

Comment

Exams

Thanx Ginge - I am not that tight and it does seem a good specific book, anyway by the time I get ready to sit the exams they'd be in bits. like the mock exams site great little tester. still can't search is there an ongoing a problem, Spoke to rm-aviation he recommends not buying till ready to solo but still not a lot of saving when you take into account all other costs such as hangarage and insurance. might have to go and buy a field and a hover mower. Thanks for advice
                    David Newington

Comment

Exams

I guess all the exams can be successfully passed with just Brian Cosgroves book but I would suggest getting some practical tuition with the Navigation exam as to content and practice. Messing up the calculations at the planning stage will seriously ruin your day.

Comment

Exams

Hi,
                        You can get some free exam to try at www.microlightpilots.com

Bobby

Comment

Exams

Hi

I found the Cosgrove book a little vague at times, and some of the questions in the exams were not in the book.

I must admit though, in conjunction with the Air Pilots Manual, I passed all but the Nav exam first time. Thatís where the Cosgrove book lets its self down, not enough detail.

But hey, these are my views and you should study what your instructor advises you to study.

Regards

GT
                          Itís often best to keep one's mouth shut, and let everyone think you are a twit, than open it, and remove all bloody doubt....

Comment

Exams

I found that as well gary.

Nick.
                            "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickjaxe/videos.

Comment

Exams

Hi.

I used the cosgrove for all of my theory although i would recommend some ground school and good practice on Nav to clarify anything your unsure of. Also make sure your familiar with the 1.500.000 chart, not just the 1.250.000. There's some great stuff on the web if you look around by searching for specific topics like " 1 in 60 Rule" & "Triangle of Velocities" etc, i passed all of my exams 4 weeks ago and took delivery of my NPPL only this week after 3 years of training on 3 axis and off...well worth it in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X