Navigation Exam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navigation Exam

Thank god I passed :yeah: ! I found it hard, but really interesting. That's Air Law, Met and Nav passed. Aircraft General, and Human Performance to do in Feb. John Bradbury does do a great ground school! It also gives you something to do through the winter when the weathers naff!
    I'm 11 hours in now and just finished unusual attitudes. Still absolutely loving it :-) .

Navigation Exam

You'll find lots of unusual attitudes here :smilewinkgrin:

Comment

Navigation Exam

Hi Ian
      I did mine the other way around, air law, human performance and aircraft technical. I'm dreading Nav and Met, how hard did you think they were?
      Dean

Comment

Navigation Exam

Got up today, and did some powered emergency landings, and low altitude flying :-). Who'd have thought it'd be so difficult to find a good field in Cheshire!!!
        Met wasn't too bad, but the nav exam seemed to have a lot of opportunity to mess up. A large segment of the questions are related to each other, so if you get the calculations wrong in an earlier question it causes you problems later on. At the very least you need to go back and do the calculations again, and as you're up against the clock you need that like a hole in the head! My top tips would be:
        1. Write out the 1 in 60 rule formula and the D/ST triangle at the outset on the first piece of scrap paper. That way you can then just use them as and when without needing to remember them during the exam.
        2. Bone up on the AIC colours, specifically in how they relate to charts!
        3. Make sure you can do the triangle of velocities easily and quickly.
        3. Don't panic when the examiner says you're halfway through the time, and you're only a third of the way through the questions. On the exam I took there were quite a few quicker questions towards the end of the paper.

What's the aircraft technical like?

Comment

Navigation Exam

Ian Lee wrote:
          ... the nav exam seemed to have a lot of opportunity to mess up. A large segment of the questions are related to each other, so if you get the calculations wrong in an earlier question it causes you problems later on. ..
          So, a bit like the real event, then?

Joan

:smurf:

Well, someone had to say it ;-)

Comment

Navigation Exam

Hi Ian
            Thanks for the info, actually the aircraft tech isn't too bad as you like me are probably quite interested in planes anyway, need to revise drag and parsitic drag and lift forces, ( all the stuff to do with lift off an aerofoil).
            I'm swotting Met as we speak. :smurf:

Comment

Navigation Exam

Cheers Dean. Met wasn't so bad. It has also come in handy as you can see where your instructor is coming from when they cancel sessions when to all appearances the weather is fine! In a previous life I was an RAF Aircraft Technician, so I hope the technical one is second nature!! Mind you that was 25 years ago! We shall see.

Comment

Navigation Exam

I've been asked about D/ST, so here goes:

The triangle is: D
                _____
                S * T

D = Distance
                S = Speed
                T = Time

To get any one thing you use the other two so:
                Distance = Speed * Time
                Speed = Distance / Time
                Time = Distance / Speed

Cheers.

Comment

Navigation Exam

Oops, that should have read:

D
                  _____
                  S * T

Comment

Navigation Exam

Exactly like the real thing.....apart from you're in a warm classroom, with everything on a desk in front of you :smhair:

Joan Walsh wrote:

Originally posted by Ian Lee
                    ... the nav exam seemed to have a lot of opportunity to mess up. A large segment of the questions are related to each other, so if you get the calculations wrong in an earlier question it causes you problems later on. ..
                    So, a bit like the real event, then?

Joan

:smurf:

Well, someone had to say it ;-)

Comment

Navigation Exam

Warm classroom? Not fair ... in my day ..... :-)

Comment

Navigation Exam

Let me guess......slates, chalk boards, teachers throwing wooden board dusters? Them were the days ;-)

Comment

I heard recently that the BMAA had taken on the responsibility of re-writing the exam papers for the examinations that are part of the BMAA microlight syllabus, I did see a reference somewhere that hinted that there will be errors if the BMAA are given this role. ( Can't recall where I saw that reference though? )

Now my question is, I have just heard that the latest Navigation paper that the BMAA have just collated as paper M17C has some errors in it and have been recalled and that the CAA Navigation exam papers have been reintroduced until such times as the BMAA can reprint the corrected versions.

Apparently Nav paper M17A & M17B are correct so anyone taking a nav exam should insist on the A or B editions to be certain of getting a proper result.

Is this true or is it just a malicious rumour?

Comment

Henry King is not Henry King and has been banned.

The 'malicious rumour' is true. During an update process a couple of errors in one paper weren't spotted. The correct remedial action has been taken, everyone notified, new version will replace the old.

RobH
                            Rob Hughes
                            BMAA Member

Comment

Well whoever Henry King is or isn't has no bearing on this. He pointed out something that most of us didn't know about.

Whoever he is, it would seem he gets access to information that isn't always in the public domain.
                              Barry C.

Comment

Working...
                              X