Getting away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting away

My first full solo flight ("there's the aircraft - go and fly for an hour") happened on Monday morning from Northrepps.
    In virtually flat calm conditions, travelling west along the north Norfolk coastline led me to Blakeney Point. There, a sandbank in the shape of a pointing hand conveniently indicates the location of Langham, where I passed over the (disused) main runway and took a photo.
    As my confidence in my navigational skill had been bolstered by the simplicity of finding Langham and I had spent the previous evening swotting up on Cosgrove, I opted to head back to Northrepps by estimating a heading from the map (without a protractor). The coast was in sight all the way, so I had a back-up if needed.
    Just a few minutes passed before the familiar T shape of Northrepps was clearly identifiable.
    Dropping to circuit height on dead side, I joined downwind, remembered all the checks and radio calls, then overshot the nil wind approach by a significant margin!
    The second approach was on the high side too, but 04 is a long strip and everything was smooth and straight and I was able to stop and turn before reaching the displaced threshold markers.

Northrepps to Langham is only a few miles, but to fly the journey solo felt like a significant step for a student pilot.

I feel the person who climbed out of the Thruster at 09:03 was an improvement on the one who climbed in at 08:04.

Thanks to Kevin and Adam - top instructors.
    Pete T.

"A closed mouth gathers no feet".

Getting away

Well done Peter. Having visited Cromer/Northrepps many times I can say 04 is never an easy landing with turbulence off the trees. And Blakeney Point can be very photogenic with the right state of tide and sun. Approaching Northrepps from the south west as I normally do tends to disguise the airfield and I always have problems spotting it, so well done with your nav as well. Good luck with your future flying!

Alan (Rayne flier!)

Comment

Getting away

Nice one Peter, a lovely area to fly in and a great airfield with a fine crowd of friendly helpful folk as I found when I visited to find I had a wobbly tailwheel. When I needed them tools and bits were offered straight away a we were able to go on our way all sorted. Always a delight to visit and my thanks to all those that keep it that way.

Ginge (another Rayne flier)

Comment

Getting away

Good Stuff Peter. Days like that make the effort worthwhile.
        Soon you will do your first solo cross country. Going somewhere by air under my own steam for the first time was the highlight of my training and the moment I realised that I had finally become a pilot. I wish you the same happiness it gave me.

Comment

Getting away

Thanks all for your encouragement. See you at an airfield some day not too far in the future.
          Pete T.

Comment

Getting away

We'll watch out for the hat and goggles ;-)

Comment

Getting away

Ginge, the avatar image isn't actually a photo of me, but bears an uncanny resemblance.
              Many years ago, I built a couple of three wheelers and my preferred headgear while riding them was an army surplus tank drivers hat, with a pair of Stadium mk8 goggles.
              I'll be sure to be appropriately attired when I visit North Weald. :-)
              Pete T.

Comment

Getting away

I hope you bring Mutley along with you! heh heh heh

Comment

Getting away

Darn it! I thought that you were someone that even I would recognise straight away. It sounds as if it'll not be long before you're all licensed up and free to start visiting, we look forward to seeing you around.

I still like the ole Mk 8s, I did a lot of crazy things while wearing them and still have a pair that I intend to wear when my Tiger Cub project is complete.

Comment

Getting away

I'll make a note to bring the hat & goggles :-)
                    Another lovely flight this morning. Landed at Lenham, had a chat with the owner and ogled his Leopard Moth before flying back to Northrepps. One of those flat calm mornings, like flying in a warm bath.
                    Pete T.

Comment

Getting away

Sounds great, but where's Lenham?

Ginge (ignorant Essex boy)

Comment

Getting away

Apologies - Langham!
                        Pete T.

Comment

Getting away

Darn it! I thought that I might discover a secret Norfolk airfield :cry:

Comment

Working...
                          X