Snow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow.

I was due some time in the C42. A look at the logbook showed that I haven't flown one for more than a year! So I am expecting to be as rusty as a Fiat. The sun is out, the wind is gentle and head on, the pressure is nice and high and best of all, Oscar Kilo has had an engine rebuild, new skins and boom tube as well as anything else it ever wanted. I helped out a bit with some small issues and I was keen to find out how she flew. Wow! what a lovely aeroplane. In the eight years I have been flying her she has never seemed so crisp and easy to fly precisely (although Mark ascribes much of that to flying the 'Max!) The danger areas were down to 3000' so we whizzed up to 3,500 in the clear, cold, hard air, pausing at 3000 to ease the engine before climbing up towards Devizes. Mark pointed Keevil out from the fields of snow as we flew around the town before turning South again and heading for Salisbury. I found Alderbury easily, called up and headed for the airfield, white instead of its customary green. I decided not to pull flap on before final and set up nicely to land about forty metres to the left of the runway. A gentle prompt from the right hand seat and I noticed that the right hand threshold board was on the left today(!) and altered course for a decent approach, small balloon and sinking nicely held off but I didn't feel right about it so went round. I had been setting up for a good landing but I wanted to do better as landing on snow was different and I really wanted to do it well so this time I had the speed right, the roundout right, the flare right and the touchdown almost imperceptible.A good one. Lovely. Worth the go around and doing justice to the marvellous job that has been the rebuild. First flight of the year, different terrain, first go on snow and a thoroughly nice and memorable sortie. The Max is getting a new prop and a bit more fuel capacity at the moment but it all augurs well for a good year's flying. I wish you all the same.

Thanks for that Tom, finding a snow covered runway can be a bit tricky. I recall knowing where abouts it was but the great relief as, on late final, when I saw the other tyre tracks. That was on an airstrip with loads of features to help, but I do recall the feeling that some form of certainy gave me,phew.

Comment

Big orange thing flapping in the breeze was a clue but landing on snow is fun!

Comment

Even without snow, the 'big orange thing flapping in the breeze' is no help when it's near invisible because it's pointing directly away from you. The strip at Priory farm is currently exactly the same shade of green as the adjacent fields, making it probably as hard to spot as if it were the same shade of snow white.
        Pete T.

"A closed mouth gathers no feet".

Comment

The first time I went into Priory Farm, many years ago, I had the devils own job spotting the strip whilst keeping a wary eye on the gliders. Strip spotted I couldn't see the wind sock, so I got the direction from Tibbenham, next door. When taxiing to the end of the strip I saw it a bttered, bleached remnant half hidden in the hedge.
          Since then they have invested in a new one (probably several), it's still one of my favourit strips.

Comment

We now have a (relatively) shiny newish windsock and some of the hedge has been cut back, improving visibility of the sock and reducing rotor at the south end of the strip.
            Pete T.

"A closed mouth gathers no feet".

Comment

Sounds good, I hope to drop in again this year. I somehow missed out last year, must do better.

Comment

Working...
              X