Winter project started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter project started

New design fixed wing taking shape in the workshop, concept being made of poly pipe to ensure sizes are correct before being committed to Metal. Weight is not the only issue.. Cost is definitely high on the priority list. Can this be done for under 1k in this present financial climate? I will let you know.

Winter project started

Priced up for the wing tubes. Turns out that it was easier to go and get a ready made set of wings. Mark at Galaxy was my hero for a day - a big shout to him for all the help. Now to get it all together.

Comment

Winter project started

Dom,

Thruster wings perhaps? They always struck me as nicely rendered design, in fact, thinking of it, you could make up a single seat Thruster, using a flexwing type pod, and a long strip of perspex as a windshield, but leaving most of the rest of it as per Thruster. You'd easily stay within the 300Kgs, but retain the strength, and have plenty of storage room/weight available.

Just to confirm this, Brian at our airfield has recently SSDR'd his Thruster, so even in standard trim they can be flown under the 300Kgs.

Best regards,

Bob Hood
      XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

Winter project started

Iv got a bit of a Frankenstein's monster taking shape! It's bits and pieces from all sorts.

Comment

Winter project started

Ok the polypipe gave me the basic dimensions and it all looked good. The seat frame (from an old classic trike) has been finished and has a single hammock seat (courtesy of Chris @ Medway microlights). All the cabin tubes are in process of being strengthened at the attachment points. To save time i purchased the wing frames complete and this blew the original 1k budget.

Comment

Winter project started

And a rummage in the spares pile finds a decent set of aerotrack trike legs that can be "adjusted" to suit the project. This is working out rather well. (The tinker meter is off the scale!)

Comment

Winter project started

All we need is some pictures of said tinkering!

Comment

Winter project started

Not much to show! A bunch of tubes bolted together in the depth of my shed isnt very inspiring. When it actually resembles something (quite what im not sure) then i may open the doors to derision, ridicule and sarcasm, but for now "BITSA" as in bitsa this and bitsa that, remains firmly hidden.

Comment

Winter project started

Sounds reasonable. Keep tinkering.

Comment

Winter project started

Some weight calculations this morning. Cabin with main steel cross member, seat and attachment brackets without nuts and bolts just over 8kg. I estimated 10kg all bolted so I'm on target.

Comment

Winter project started

Go for it Dominic,
                      I am afraid my days of tinkering in the shed are limited though in the past have done my fair share.
                      Being retired I don't do winter anymore so all the tinkering is summer time which clashes with flying and things so everything takes forever.
                      Nearest I will get to it will be when I get the Lazair back in the air with fresh engines but will probably need inspiration and help to do that.
                      Happy Christmas to all that escape to the shed over Christmas and power to your elbow.
                      Mick Broom
                      Member 909
                      Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Winter project started

Mick if you want a hand with any rebuild by all means give me a shout. More than happy to keep the oldies in the air. The shed is warmed via a blower heater so no problems with the cold. Gets me away from all the arguing about who's got the flipping Sellotape! There was I thinking that you were a serial tinkerer, you surprise me.

Comment

Winter project started

Dominic,
                          I don't have a cold shed its just that while I can I now travel south in the winter and play with as many toys as I can get in the truck and find at the roadside.
                          I did so much tinkering it became my business which always takes the edge off the enthusiasm because you are lead by the customers.
                          Thanks for the offer on the Lazair but I guess you will be busy on your own project.
                          When I get around to it I might try and find someone local who wants to learn some skills and play with the bits with a possibility of inheriting a Lazair from the process.
                          I think flying over to your place to work in the shed would wear out the Shadow and pilot.
                          Mick Broom
                          Member 909
                          Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Winter project started

Would you sell me the Lazair Mick?

Comment

Winter project started

You don't miss a thing do you Ian!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X