Raven ssdr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raven ssdr

Raven coming into Shedworx to be converted to ssdr. The trike is going to receive quite a major rework. I will keep you posted on developments as I believe this may be the first one converted.

Raven ssdr

Wing checked. Looks lovely in the classic Medway luminous orange and black.
    503 coming off and a different motor going on....i will let you all know how it goes.

Comment

Raven ssdr

Trike has now been stripped and has entered the shed. It's going to get a new set of rear leg struts and supporting structure. An inverted 462 is the power plant and obviously a new single seat will be fitted. It's going to be quite a project.

Comment

Raven ssdr

Is a 462 legal on a Raven X Dom? Or are you making it SSDR?
        Dave

Comment

Raven ssdr

Ssdr Dave (that's why it's in the ssdr section!...sorry.)

Comment

Raven ssdr

So the 462 has now had the intake tracts ported. This made the rotary valve cover ports line up exactly with the crankcase holes. The crankcase ports had the insides roughed to an 80 grit finish to get better fuel mixing.

Comment

Raven ssdr

Doh...

Comment

Raven ssdr

So a straight swop for the 503 is not going to happen. None of the mounting brackets are the same, the electric starter is in the way and the carb silencer does not line up with the carb. Going to have to strip the whole lot down and build from scratch.

Comment

Raven ssdr

The raven will be good anyway with the 503 and single seat. They really do come into their own when they are as light as possible. Make sure it has carb heat as that was an issue on the 503 raven I had.
                  flying is good for you!

Comment

Raven ssdr

Henry, that's why iv taken the 503 off. I love the 462 on my single seat XL and the power is very similar to the 503. Actually repositioning the radiators at the other end of the engine will put them away from the high pressure zone in front of the prop giving better air flow through them. I'm going to have to make sure that the air flow isn't TOO good.

Comment

Raven ssdr

So an afternoon in some lovely sunshine and the trike now has it's new rear legs.

Attached files

Comment

Raven ssdr

The front end of the trike has had the wheel moved within the forks. The foot pegs have been repositioned (thanks to Medway for not welding them!).
                        The new rear suspension legs would not fit properly and the spring units actually are quite heavy. So iv taken the aerodynamic covers off and have made up a couple of plain legs without the springs (reusing the covers on these).
                        It took some careful measuring to get the rear end of the trike at the right height for prop ground clearance, thankfully there was no need to move any of the engine mounts.

Comment

Raven ssdr

Dom,

You may have problems with the 462 if you hang it upside down. I did some work on a 582 for some people at our club a few years ago, and made the mistake of turning the crankcase upside down when fitting a new piston. A lot of oil came out of the cross shaft housing. If you hang the engine upside down this will happen every time you stop the engine, and I'm not sure the cross shaft will be properly lubed either. It might be worth investigating this before you actually go to the trouble of making up brackets for the engine to hang inverted. After all, you don't want to get hydraulic lock in either of the cylinders if the engine's left for any length of time.

Best regards,

Bob Hood
                          XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

Raven ssdr

Hi Bob,
                            These posts are just the ticket for ssdr designers so a huge thanks. I'm going to sling the 462 onto the mounts, fill the cross shaft and see what happens before I consider firing the engine up. I did get the message about the 440, I have no requirement for it at present but thanks for the offer.

Comment

Raven ssdr

Rotax installation manual tells you it can be done. And how to ensure the water cooling syphons correctly.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X