Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a Chaser II

Dave,
    As you have identified I have also fitted L section brackets below the engine mounts. These were fitted to stiffen up the engine frame. In standard Chaser the engine frame in front of monopole is only thing joining left and right 'halves' of engine frame (as assisted by the engine mounting beams - but they are located by Lord Mounts so provide limited rigidity).
    The forward L bracket also provides left and right anchorage for 4 point seat belt.

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Okay. I see.
      Dave

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Hi Paul

The reason I kept the pylon hinged at the seat top was exactly to keep the maximum amount of trike structure untouched, plus this would reduce the size of the fuel tank or necessitate removal as per old Mainairs.

All the early machines have this issue, even the Quantum's design means a slot through the seat and quite heavy supporting structure once the pylon is folded to support the engine.

The swan catch on the rear of the pylon with a little strap to limit movement solved it for my machine, but the longer pylon fold as per Quantum is more rigid as the joint mid pylon is supported by the engine frame. Mid pivot isn't ideal, in practice it still works as Ace have used pretty thick cheek plates either side and set the seat top-tubes into them; the pivot bolt is aided by the locking bolt for sideways reliability, and both plates and the safety-wire would have to fail to detach the trike main body.

The swan catch addition is cheap and easy to do, requiring a couple wires adjusting and bolts up through the wing keel, although cannot recall if enough tube sticks out the rear wing to allow the catch channel to be bolted on underneath. Would be fun to try this conversion on a Chaser to see if it allows the basebar to drop over the pod nose. Newer Ace trikes hinge in the middle so the instrument panel drops onto the seat, the entire trike can 'kneel down' then.

Cheers

Kev

Attached files
        G-KEVA
        BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Thanks Kev,
          Have to see how my mod works 'in service'.

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Tried without success to ask this on Yahoo chaser group !!!

Anybody modded the rear strap on their Chaser - and by modded I mean removed in favour of a 'conventional' pair of wire rope cables (ala xl)?

As usual answers on a postcard.

Not been active on the Chaser II just recently - doing a few jobs to a friend's xair.

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Loosing will to live - Yahoo Chaser Group once again foiled my attempt to successfully post (actually managed to join [again])!!!!

So please, if anyone has removed the strap in favor of spanning between the rear wheels direct (like xl etc) I would love to have some info.

Regards

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Not sure anyone has ever tried this Paul. One good reason is that the horizontal wires create tremendous drag on longish grass (worse with a Chaser's small wheels that bring it closer to the ground). That's why other trikes with those wires usually have a length of plastic pipe around the first cable (it rotates and eases the drag). I've replaced the now quite ratty strap on my Chaser with a turnbuckle and fabricated stainless brackets and a loop. (Have left the loop in place as well though.)
                Dave

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Dave,
                  Thanks for reply - I have Pegasus 6" wheels on my chaser so drag on grass would be no greater than an XL etc (for which I have operated without problems on grass).
                  I think I have seen your turnbuckles and stainless brackets but think I would prefer to loose the pulled up transverse cables totally.

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

having the cross wires pulled up and held by the fabric strap would also add to the suspension (landing/taxiing loads reacted by the fabric strap) which would be lost if the wires went straight across.

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Rich,
                      I put that exact point to Paul Dewhurst and was told quite 'firmly' that the strap is not any sort of suspension unit - it is in fact a 'strut'.

Of course as a strut it could be replaced with a cable. Or indeed removed and replaced with spanning wires.

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Paul may be correct in that it is not a suspension unit (by design), but it will have some elasticity that will react with landing and taxiing loads. My point I believe remains true.
                        Rich

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Rich,
                          I am also of that opinion (either by design or accident) the strap can (and therefore does) expand on anything but the smoothest of landings! therein, however, is the problem.
                          On expansion the side wires go slack which not only allows the trike to rock but also 'frees up' the wheels to rotate about a center other than the axle. This of course gives rise to snaking and general unsteadiness just after landing (until the strap applies itself again). I now accept this 'quirk' as an 'interesting' aspect of Chaser ownership (which only major redesign may overcome - but still feel that there is some 'mileage' left in tighter side wires [accepting maximum wheel base limitation as recently identified on Yahoo posts]).

My suggestion of spanning cables (wheel to wheel) was a possible route to overcome the issue (and as my second Chaser is at a stage whereby this change could be applied - hence the post query).

I am, however, coming to conclude that perhaps the Chaser 'trike' has 'run its course' and that I should 'start from scratch'.

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Maybe its just me, but the phenomenon you describe has never been an issue for me and I may have demonstrated some firm landings in my time!

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Then I'll put it down to being a fat bast..d, however, thanks for your observations!

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

White Chaser (folding monopole) almost ready ready for flight - Red and White picture just for comparison!

Attached files

Comment

Working...
                                X