Just bought a Chaser II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a Chaser II

As per title and previous post re Chaser rear suspension questions - just bought another Chaser (albeit one that had rolled). Whole idea is to modify basic structure to allow monopole fold and 'single person rigging'

Trike now stripped down (see photos) and first obstacle found - while trike looked undamaged in roll over' the monopole had in fact taken a bend! However, one donor Typhoon airframe later and replacement monopole almost ready.

Will post pictures of progress.

Attached files

Just bought a Chaser II

Have you looked at Dan Curtis's conversion? Documented on the Chaser Yahoo forum? I think you're a member.
    So am I but Yahoo won't recognise my password anymore, so I don't go there.
    Dave
    PS. Keel tubes from Quantums/Quiks that have been negged due to elongation/cracking of the roll bracket fixing hole make great replacement tube stock for the monopole.

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Update on Chaser II

New rear legs fitted (about to order 4 x needle roller bearings for Peggy xlr 6" Nylites) - note (picture) re position of side wires (to top/rear of seat frame)

Looking for set of Blade spats - sent message to bloke advertising on AFORS re manufacture (just had response 60 each plus 15 postage).

Soon have to cut out front of monopole engine mount tube!

Attached files

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Hi Dave yes it was Dan Curtis,'s mod that finally pushed me to obtaining a second Chaser and using it as a Guinea pig for ' my version'.
        My version differs from Dan's in that I am looking to do the work without 'welding' (bolted aluminium only). It may not be possible - depends on what 'movement' occurs when I remove the small tubular bit in front of the monopole.
        However having said that I have some ideas that may well overcome any such issues!
        Will continue to post pictures and updates as they occur.
        One final thing not mentioned in above post I am also seeking to replace the 20 year old fabric rear suspension tape (spoken to skydrive cosmic who are checking their stock).

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Paul, there is another route that isn't as drastic as Dan's very clever conversion, it cam upe after a spot of lateral thinking.

It is easy to add a Swan Neck Catch to the rear of the Chaser wing, so that instead of being bolted to the keel tube, the rear catch can be released to allow the basebar to go further forwards. You need to add a little Bridle or strap so the basebar releases but only goes so far further.

This allows the basebar to pass over the nose and drop down and the pylon can be short and hinge just above the seat

Works really well on my Ace trike, I'm a creaky 61year old office bod with a bad back, but still can drop the wing easily; rigging takes five minutes, either with or without a wing trolley

Videos here (skip to 1:30 minutes in to avoid the boring bit):-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcsHH-PpGxM

Or here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WGuUkMcyws

Kev

PS I'm a lot slicker now with practice
          G-KEVA
          BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Kev,
            Many thanks for the post re Swan neck catch etc. Seen your video and can appreciate the 'mechanism'.

I had to replace the monopole as the original was 'bent' and I am well into modding the trike (see latest pictures) ala Dan's conversion (albeit my version of Dan's).

I also will be retaining the pod and would ask if your approach gives enough clearance over the nose (still prepared to consider other 'ways').

Attached files

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Dear all,

Today I finished the new monopole - and fitted it to the trike (crappy picture attached - didn't have good camera with me).

All appears to be going well - monopole hinges 'square' to the keel and the securing bolt slides in a treat.

Next job is to reassemble the new legs and secure the side wires to their new position (plate just visible behind monopole).

Attached files

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Big day today,

New 6" Nylites fitted all round rear side wires tensioned and Chaser now standing on three wheels again.

Couple of pictures (pylon up and semi lowered).

Attached files

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Dear fellow Chaser owners (and all),

Another 'mile stone' achieved today; Wing successfully 'mated' to folding monopole.

Measurements taken re pod clearance and all is 'looking good'.

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Spent a full day trying to get twin fuel tanks to fit behind the seat (thereby allowing the tanks to remain in position during mono pole fold). Very difficult space to fill without 'bespoke tanks'.

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Hi Paul

Have you beefed up the keep plates where the monopole hinges around the base tube. I only ask as I have seen on a number of Chaser's these plates 'warped'. When you attach your wing and lift the monopole up there will likely be a tendency for this lift to place bending loads on these plates that they are not used to seeing. Pre mod the monopole/seat-frame structure offered some (because they clearly still bent) rigidity that is removed post mod until the monopole is again secured at the seat frame.

Rich

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Latest update - now have fuel tank 'hinging forward' to avoid monopole fold! Pictures to follow -
                        Almost ready to commence rebuild (pod polished, new magic laser engine cooling shroud and of course Blade spats).

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Hopefully pictures will appear below???
                          Monopole now folds and tank hinges forward thus removing the need to extract tank when fitting removing the wing. :turn:

Attached files

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Can't see what's transferring the loads from the monopole-axle cables across the 'gap' where the monopole lives.
                            Are you fitting a bolt across there when rigged?
                            Are you relying on the L-section addition under the engine mounts?
                            Dave

Comment

Just bought a Chaser II

Dave,
                              See picture above above etc (22 10 2015) chaser 3 003. In it there is a further bracket spanning the gap behind the monopole this both takes load as is required due to removal of the engine frame forward of the monopole and also provides anchorage for the rear side support cables. That design allows very precise setting of cable tension (shimming the bracket up to increase - down to reduce). I had removed the bracket in the last pair of pictures!

Comment

Working...
                              X