Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peggy xl or Q any body modded to 503

Dear all,
    With the progressive rarity of rotax 2 stroke engines; has anybody gone through mod process to fit 503's into xl or Q's?

Peggy xl or Q any body modded to 503

Hi Paul,

As the 503 is discontinued as well would it not be a better choice to go for another make or do you have an old one in the shed?
    Mick Broom
    Member 909
    Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

That's the idea Mick - 503's (and spares) are still 'around', whereas 462 spares are very rare!

Comment

Paul,

Back in the day when my planes were permitted, I remember my inspector telling me that there was a mod for fitting a 503 to an XL hang glider tug, so it has been done, although I don't know the MAAN number off hand. You could do worse than having a look through the list of MAAN's to see if it's listed.

Best regards,
        XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

Many thanks Bob - just the info I was hoping for!

Comment

I know a guy that used to bend the top engine mount to make them fit...... Farmers engineering at its best :-)
            flying is good for you!

Comment

I did a mod on a Q Wing to fit a 503 so there will be a MAAN for it......the amusing thing was when the CAA came to do the noise test. It 'passed' on the third attempt, just as the engine stopped due to running out of fuel....the owner who was flying it landed in the field next to the runway and all was OK
              AndyB

Comment

Many thanks Andy, not at the point of changing the engine just yet but have reassurances from 'technical' that a 503 poses no issues!

Comment

Working...
                X