Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very pretty fixed wing

Sold from the USA and being ordered by Germans and Russians

Flies with a bog standard 23hp B&S engine, so no tuning or fiddly bits and four stroke to boot

American builder using my B&S information passed it on; looks nice although the USA have a FAR103 speed restriction for cruise to about 63mph IIRC so under the latest UK rules this could be carefully raised, depends on VNE

Cheers

Kev

Attached files is-a-four-stroke-part-103-airplane-possible.pdf (165.7 KB) aerolite-exhaust-system.pdf (134.9 KB)
    G-KEVA
    BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Very pretty fixed wing

Kev
    I think this is the Aerolite103 which is being marketed in the UK by Kairos Aviation. Full details at www.kairos-aviation.co.uk

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

One sold in uk, owner collecting at the LAA rally
      G-KEVA
      BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

G-CIZA being test flown earlier this week

Attached files

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

Got to be the most elegant SSDR.

Cheers
          Kev
          G-KEVA
          BMAA 5696

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

Richard,

Have you had difference training for the taildragger yet?

Looks good though. Very slippery. I'll bet the performance is good. How're you going to get all your stuff into it for touring?

Best regards,

Bob Hood
            XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

Bob Hood BMAA 3300 wrote: Richard,

Have you had difference training for the taildragger yet?

Looks good though. Very slippery. I'll bet the performance is good. How're you going to get all your stuff into it for touring?

Best regards,

Bob Hood
              I did 15 hours in G-CIMA before the accident in May and 51 takeoffs and landings. I didn't find tail dragging too daunting even though it's thirty years since I last flew with a tail wheel. I don't think that there is a suitable microlight tail dragger for training. A TST is about as different as it could be in terms of performance and other factors, but I'd welcome ideas.

The extra 60 per cent power (50 versus 31 hp) should make a big difference to performance. Takeoff run over a 15m obstacle is quoted at 150 meters again 270 meters for the Kohler engine and climb rate at 1188 fpm more than double.

The luggage space is tight, equiv 40 litres plus a bit more in front of the seat. No camping, but room for an overnight bag and tools etc.

all the best Rick

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

G-CIZA? - well I guess it is a two stroke...!

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

- or has the WFAEC decided to abandon its Gemanic tendencies and take up an ancient roman theme for 2016?

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

Spotted ;-)
                    G-KEVA
                    BMAA 5696

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

Have a look at the light-weight camping options Rick - you'd be amazed at how little space and weight is needed, if the wallet is happy to be lightened at the same time!
                      Regards,
                      Paul.

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

Paul Welsh wrote: Have a look at the light-weight camping options Rick - you'd be amazed at how little space and weight is needed, if the wallet is happy to be lightened at the same time!
                        Regards,
                        Paul.
                        I've basically already given up camping on our trips but thanks for the idea Paul.

There would be a lot more space (especially for light bulky stuff) if the aircraft didn't have a BRS system in the compartment behind the pilot.

Rick

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

I would agree Kev - looks good.

Kev Armstrong wrote: Sold from the USA and being ordered by Germans and Russians

Flies with a bog standard 23hp B&S engine, so no tuning or fiddly bits and four stroke to boot

American builder using my B&S information passed it on; looks nice although the USA have a FAR103 speed restriction for cruise to about 63mph IIRC so under the latest UK rules this could be carefully raised, depends on VNE

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

A week after being picked up from the LAA Rally the aircraft stalled and was written off :-(

Happens to the best of people of course. Interesting that one reason cited was the difficulty in transferring from a high power microlight to one of marginal performance - I've heard that before somewhere!

Comment

Very pretty fixed wing

One major factor in any of the little V-Twins is they are very prone to carb ice, had correspondence with a South African pilot who says it's just as bad there, four strokes do it much more than two strokes.

I fitted a single heater in the inlet manifold just behind the carb and had no trouble, until the terminal worked loose, it faded out in a minute or so, now got two heaters and screw clamped terminals...;-)

Mine does 700' per minute full 35 litres of fuel and 12 stone 10pounds in old money pilot, but it does have some upgrades to compression, bigger carb and cam, plus a tuned length exhaust.

Marginal climb rate is dangerous

Not going back to a 447, having been spoilt by double the range, it'll do Spamfield on 23 litres from here, in that fixed wing even more

Cheers

Kev
                              G-KEVA
                              BMAA 5696

Comment

Working...
                              X