Removing radio noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing radio noise

Hi this is my first post on here. I'm flying Kevin armstrongs old magic cyclone with rotax 447. I've fitted a key west regulator with large capacitor and the whole thing is wired up to A small 1.2 ah battery powering a micro avionics interface and icom a3 radio with the rubber type aerial attached to the radio. I am getting engine noise interference despite using br8es spark plugs. Any ideas how to reduce the interference? Thanks

Removing radio noise

Has the radio got a battery attached to it, or is it without a battery with a blanking plate where the battery should be?

How big is the capacitor, is it electrolytic and if so is it wired the right way round? What's the voltage rating on the cap?

Have you considered putting a ferrite bead on the power lead to the radio?

Comment

Removing radio noise

I presume you know about the 'pulse noise reduction' setting on the radio...

Comment

Removing radio noise

Have you tried running the radio disconnected from the trike supply and on its own battery?
        Just as a test.
        Dave

Comment

Removing radio noise

I plan to try the radio and intercom disconnected from the trike and just run from the battery. I don't know about the pulse noise reduction setting on the radio? How do I set that up?

The radio has a battery attached. The capacitor is 20000 micro farad and is wired the correct way round. The cap voltage is 25v max. I have it wired across the dc terminals of the regulator. Not sure what a ferrite bead is and would be more than happy to try one to see if it helps. Can you point me in the right direction about where I can get one.

Would using a different antenna like those you put on the kingpost help?

Thanks for all the tips so far.

Steve

Comment

Removing radio noise

Steve wright wrote: Not sure what a ferrite bead is and would be more than happy to try one to see if it helps. Can you point me in the right direction about where I can get one.
            TDK CLIP ON FERRITE BEADS SPLIT CORE

Comment

Removing radio noise

Thanks Steve. I've ordered a couple to try

Comment

Removing radio noise

Steve wright wrote: ... I don't know about the pulse noise reduction setting on the radio? How do I set that up?...

Steve
                http://www.icomamerica.com/en/downlo...x?Category=112

Page 1, Panel Description - ANL switch

Hope this helps
                Joan

PS. long time since I messed with RF, but as I recall from a previous generation electrolytics weren't good at RF frequencies. I think we used to put a caramic or film capacitor of a few pFs value in parallel with the electrolytic to sink the RF. As I say, it was long ago - therre are people on here would be able to advise on current practice.

Comment

Removing radio noise

Thanks. Joan. I think that the radio was already set to ANL but at least I know how that works now. I might try adding a ceramic capacitor to see if it helps.

Comment

Removing radio noise

The point about temporarily running the radio on its own battery is to eliminate the power supply as a route for noise into the radio.
                    If the noise significantly drops with no connection to the aircraft's power, you can start looking at ferrite beads and ceramic caps.
                    If there's no change, you can forget that, and start looking at the aerial, because that's how it's getting in (see if unplugging the aerial kills the noise).
                    Dave

Comment

Removing radio noise

Thanks dave

Comment

Removing radio noise

Remember and don't transmit whilst aerial is unplugged as you may damage the radio if you do

Comment

Removing radio noise

When I first set-up my radio in my trike...I wired it the same as you from a small 1.2ah batt.

That was the intercom and radio from the same battery...I was getting some odd noises on rx and tx...I tried running the 2 items from separate batts and my noise went....but saying that it wasn't an ignition/engine type noise.

I presume you have the squelch fully in the quite position???

Nick.
                          "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickjaxe/videos.

Comment

Removing radio noise

Thanks nick. Actually I don't have the squelch fully quiet so maybe that's it. I'll try it like that and see if it helps. It is defiantly engine type interference.

Love your videos by the way....

Steve

Comment

Removing radio noise

I found my radio was reasonably quiet until I switched on my GPS - It's actually an old iphone 4 but it has no sim card and all the stuff like wifi, bluetooth etc are switched off. Even so as soon as I switch on the iphone I have to turn up the squelch on the radio by a significant amount.
                              Steve - if you are using a GPS have you tried switching it off?
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X