english dragons in france

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• english dragons in france

Mick Broom and I are taking 2 dismantled dragonChasers to the franglias comp down near Marseilles, if we get some reasonable wifi we will try to post up some tales and results on the blog below

www.johnson-online.co.uk/comp

colin

Sounds fun, are you going to put anything up on the "lovely Flights" forum, I look forward to reading about it.

Comment

First lovely flight today , lovely view, scary mountains, still cannot land the thing, no map but nice company.
      First task tomorrow
      Mick Broom
      Member 909
      Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Comps finished now, and we are heading home. The last task was a fuel management task, planes weighed before and after to get the fuel burn. Mick won the endurance part of the task with a 4.3 l/hr fuel burn, I was 3rd with 5.1 l/hr on flights of just under 3hr. The difference between us was largely down to me focusing on getting the more of the navigation points for the task, where as mick focused on the soaring part. Not bad figures for 2 old blokes with those nasty 2 stokes..... Go DragonChaser.....

Comment

Well done chaps. Sounds like it was fun.

Comment

Dominic it was definitely fun.
            Just to add to the official fuel burn figures above for anyone interested in the Flylight Dragon with the Chaser wing the zero fuel weight was recorded at 92Kg ready to fly the task which maybe needs some work as the French trike looked to be lighter.
            I probably weigh 75Kg with kit and sandwiches.
            The average speed was recorded at 41Kts which could be increased as I had cooling problems at the higher speeds in the mountains.
            The normal take off run was less than 50 meters which needed to be increased to a max of 60 meters in any strong cross wind.
            Landing in the 100 meter box was ok until the brake stopped working and the social life got in the way of any serious maintenance.
            I classify myself as a non competing competitor at these types of events and use the tasks to sightsee and visit new areas and fields and enjoy the company so am usually near the bottom of any scoring.
            The event was just north of the Mediterranean coast in the mountains and we had problems using the local instructions and maps as to where we should fly getting lost in style until we got into the system.
            The area was fantastic but with few out-landing possibilities in places, the hosts were great and it was good to get to know both the French pilots and planes.
            Good band and wine and company all around, good flights and so on.
            It was basically just over a week with the travel, four days flying, new friends , new flying experience in the mountains, learnt a lot and cost just under 300 all in.
            Roll on next time

Mick Broom
            Member 909
            Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

come on Dom,

get your plane on a trailer, and have a go at the next round at st Micks, in 3 weeks time, its good flying, and you dont need to be a sky god, believe me....

colin

Comment

Er well 300 i dont have as im just about to move house this weekend. It would be a real crack to take the Demon tripacer in the car. The 100 meter landing would be a doddle! Not sure how well a vintage machine would go down at this kind of event though? Food for thought if there is an event a bit later in the year, so thanks for the invite.

Comment

The national comps are like most things to do with flying 'old hat' being based on the very earlier microlights. In most tasks its best to have an earlier bird and if you look at the results even in the big events the top boys are still in Chasers, Shadows, Phantoms and so on so come and enjoy.

The events are slowly changing to suit the faster planes which means you have less time on the ground in a slow plane but you are there for the flying so is that a problem?

My trick is to go as a non competitor to compete and just enjoy the new places to go and land , social life and enjoy but on my own terms. If you take your own sandwiches and camp the costs should be less than 20 plus fuel.

The 300 cost of the French trip gave you too much flying for the main three days in mountains , French ULM strips , we all learned a lot and it was a big laugh as against three hours of lessons back home in cold damp flat fields. The cost was mainly getting there and back, the entry fee was 40 but you did have the opportunity to burn a lot of fuel which if the French had not been on strike would have cost 80 pence a ltr.

Best wishes with the house move and we will look forward to seeing you at an event later.
                  Mick Broom
                  Member 909
                  Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Working...
                  X