Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banner Towing - Legal or Not?

Hi

Can someone tell me the legal position of towing a banner or indeed attaching anything to a SSDR which could possibly be described as an extra.

I assume that this could not be a commercial venture unless you had a commercial licence, is that correct and is it possible on a non commercial basis?

Mick
    Mick Broom
    Member 909
    Shadow G-MWTN

Banner Towing - Legal or Not?

Not specific evidence, but I guess it is not illegal per se.... a whole page on the P&M site showing Microlights towing banners....

http://www.pmaviation.co.uk/gallery/.../Banner-Towing

and G-BYEW advertising Microlights flights at Perth Airport

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49072

Although whether they had special approval I know not!

Comment

you will need to get a banner towing endorsement on your license I believe
      I know I had to do an aerotow endorsement for hanglider towing i would suspect banners would be the same.

Comment

Hi Wally,

I think that P&M would be ok for the plane as they would just issue the paperwork or do it as a test. I presume being SSDR that's not needed but just checking.

Hi William,

What you say makes sense from a practical point of view but is it legally necessary and how do you go about it ?
        If for instance you fitted floats would you not be legal until you managed a float conversion on your licence and if you came up with something really obscure how do you qualify the licence if it requires a practical test , its difficult enough having only one seat to advance much down this road ?

Thanks for the comments
        Mick Broom
        Member 909
        Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

It's classified as aerial work if any remuneration or valuable consideration is given for the flight - in which case it can't be done in a Microlight of any description - but if you are promoting something for free - like a local charity or youth organisation then you fall out of the aerial work category and it's ok but there may be another catch for SSDR. I have been working with CAA legal department so we can aerotow hangliders with SSDR - and after solving the aerial work issue ( tug owned by the group to be towed and no charge per tow) we had a problem with an article in the ANO that requires express permission for towing in the flight manual. As SSDR's flight manuals are required if approved we couldn't by definition meet this. CAA however have been very helpful and are raising us a specific exemption - but that's subject to a risk assessment and we have BHPA support in the quest for a better tug that a regulated two seater - which are all a bit fast.

I would guess that banner towing might also fall foul of the ANO flight manual article so may also require an exemption. And you may have to convince them of a valid 'cause' to get them to spend the time and do the work..

Paul

Comment

PS there is no towing rating in law. For aero towing BHPA control the insurance angle and require you to gain a BHPA tug pilot rating to acces it.

For flying on floats however you are legally obliged to carry out differences training, and pass a CAA exam on seamanship / water law. There is a bit if a catch 22 on that just now as we don't have any current float instructors and have never had any approved two seat float plane microlights. However it's not impossible to negotiate on the basis of receiving endorsed instruction abroad or doing it on a GA machine and carrying it over. Mick - John Pearce ( scouts chap that flies comps) is currently trying to get a float rating and get his dragonfly on floats.

Paul

Comment

Man of great knowledge as usual supplying light where there is only darkness , many thanks Paul.

So who do I ask at the CAA if an exemption is required?

I would guess that if it gets that complicated I will forget the idea but I wish John success with his floats. I love the idea of fresh ways forward to climb out of the same old boring stuff which has been the result of the control over the years.
              Mick Broom
              Member 909
              Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Working...
              X