SSDR Rally - what's coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSDR Rally - what's coming?

So who's bringing what to the SSDR rally?

I'm bringing my part-built twin-engined framework, the "W-1" I entered into the original SSDR design competition. I'll be happy to discuss the how's and why's of what I've done so far, some of the tools and skills I've had to acquire, and why it has taken a while!

Photo attached, with luck. Its getting difficult to take a photo of it inside now!

Cheers,
    Paul.

Attached files

Looks interesting Paul. It looks like wind may be the biggest feature of the weekend. I'm bringing the dragon. Can't decide which wing (fox or cyclone) though. I may bring a second trike that I've been rebuilding to tinker with when it's blowing a hoolie.

Comment

John I'm probably coming down. Weather dependant - do you need any parts at all for your rebuild iv got plenty of small bits that I could do with moving on. Minimal costs to a like minded tinkerer :-)

Comment

i'll be there with the dragonChaser, and a list of things i'll be tinkering with.

Dom. do you have a silva compass in among your pile of plane bits

colin

Comment

Not sure Colin, I'll take a look for you.

Comment

Colin. I clean forgot to post that prop. Should I bring it down?

Comment

I will be bringing my Shadow with various bits and pieces I intend to install.

The main mod is a housing to replace the pull start so that I can fit both an M4 starter and an oil pump.

A second mod is a 7 litre collector tank from a Savannah. It is a tall polypropylene cylinder that I plan to mount in the rear cockpit to use in competitions. The idea is to remove the slipper tank to save weight and then feed fuel, in flight, from the rear tank to the collector with an electric pump. When all the fuel has been transfered I will then be able to see exactly how many litres I have left. Simples.

I also want to fit simple fairings around the undercarriage legs. If anyone has experience of making one piece glassfibre wrap around aerofoil fairings, I would be interested to know.

Of course my long term aim is to chuck away the antiquated, polluting, 2-stroke, internal combustion engine, with its many moving parts, excessive maintenance schedule, and 25ish % efficiency, and replace it with a brushless electric motor of 96% efficiency, one moving part, and virtually no maintenance.

Just think for a moment what that would mean in a Shadow. Much reduced noise and vibration, especially in the rear cockpit. No carb icing (although that is not common on a Shadow), no engine failure or fuel system problems, no oil or exhaust deposits on the tailplane, and very cheap refuelling, possibly even free and completely green if generated with solar cells.

The motors and controllers have reached a peak in design and efficiency. They can't improve much since they are almost 100% efficient and have an enormous power to weight ratio. The only stumbling block is the batteries. They are improving all the time but we tend to forget that as well as steady development, there have been sudden leaps in technology in recent years which have given a step change in performance. There is no reason to believe that this will slow down. In fact there are several promising technologies that I believe will transform the energy density of batteries in the next few years. Ask yourself, would so many car manufacturers have put effort into pure electric, non hybrid, cars if they were not convinced that battery technology was going to rapidly improve. If it doesn't then the manufacturers stand to loose millions in wasted development as disgruntled customers turn away from cars with poor range and high replacement cost for the batteries.

Roll on the death of the internal combustion engine for everyday use. It will go the way of steam and we will wonder how we every tolerated such a complex, dangerous form of propulsion, while being in close proximity to the bomb which a tankful of fuel represents. The energy density of petrol is higher than TNT. It just doesn't all go off at once.

Comment

Any buy/sell parts/materials/tools might be worth bringing along.

I would like a nice low-speed ASI - 80mph max if anyone has one? And other instruments.

Any requests?

Comment

Adrian iv just been having a read on Homebuiltaeroplanes about electric drive. I understand that electrics are the way of the future but how about (for now) a four stroke bike engine powering a generator/alternator and the final drive being a leccy motor? Engine can go where ever you like, I'm thinking under the seat of my trike and thrust line is also where ever you like with no reduction drive limitations. How about multiple smaller motors on your shadow wings? 4 engines anyone? This sound like ssdr heaven!!

Comment

john,

yes, please bring the prop.

I've got a genuine polini 250 rad and expansion bottle if anybody is interested.

colin

Comment

Hi
                      I don't know what plane I will be bringing along but can bring along a few bits and pieces.

I will be helping out on the Skydrive stand and Nigel is bringing along the P&M single seater Quik Lite which has now got a 912 Rotax on which should give performance, comfort and speed the two seater's are more accustomed to together with the Hurth range of engines and not forgetting a stock of Rotax twostroke spares and engines with the 447 being a good SSDR engine.

He will also have on offer some early new or low hours machines with alternate engine choices which are worth looking at.

I will have a new 740CC Kohler engine if anyone is interesting and if anyone wants to come along and take on the rebuild of the Lazair I may be persuaded to pass on the two nearly complete planes and trailers as other projects get in the way of making a start on them.
                      One of the nicest early planes you will ever come across.

If you are interested in any bits from Skydrive you need to call Nigel so he can bring it along if he can.

If anyone has an item they want to sell we have a spare table in the tent on the Skydrive stand which can be used to bring the parts together. Just make sure the description and your contact details are attached and at your risk.
                      Mick Broom
                      Member 909
                      Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

I like that idea Dominic. Paul Robertson and Paul D had a very interesting hybrid at last year's rally. I wonder how that is progressing. Maybe we will find out at the weekend.

I have several bits and pieces for sale including a Warpdrive 2 blade prop.

Comment

Hi

Looks like it will be a exciting weekend so looking forward to meeting up with you all there

Don't forget there will be a table you can display that little used item you don't need and get some cash.

Also I will be bringing a flip board with plenty of paper for communal use to explain that very obscure design which will change the world.

Safe SSDR flying
                          Mick Broom
                          Member 909
                          Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Well done Mick.

Comment

With the cold rain time fast approaching and the warm perfect fly days behind us though you never know with the british weather

I was wondering if members had any thoughts on what they would like to see at next years event.

Perfect as is or wish list welcome to start the suggestions to let the rally progress to the best it can be.
                              Mick Broom
                              Member 909
                              Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Working...
                              X