Section S download if needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section S download if needed

Whilst we are grateful to be free from the burdens of Section S, it's worth knowing what it says and the downloadable version is here:

CAP 482 - British Civil Airworthiness Requirements - Section S - Small Light Aeroplanes

Another useful one to have I believe is the Easa VLA code which is similar but has a different way of doing things for people who are looking for a slightly different approach to find the same result.

VLA CODE - Certification Specifications for Very Light Aircraft

Though it uses different units in places it seems to take into account the value of any suspension in the system which should give a lower target and so lighter components.
    As with all these codes it only deals with one calculated point so adjustable suspension which I have in mind or even changes in tyre pressures moves the intended result from one which would pass the code to one which would fail.

Hopefully the enlightened will advise.

Mod's note - edited to fix BBCode, not for content.
    Mick Broom
    Member 909
    Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Test the worse case for suspension withinin your intended adjustment range is how I would attack it - for certification. However usually you would go for max energy absorbsion wouldn't you - why have it adjustable to a lesser state?

As for tyre pressures- that's why they are normally specified in the aircrafts manual. Made a big difference when we drop tested the dragonfly for german certification - lost a G by adjusting tyre pressures.

Paul

Comment

Must look up the tyre pressures I should have in the Dragon (if I can find it) but I bet it's different to what's in at the moment to run down the local farmers field.

Yes I would go for max energy absorption but I am guessing that as the plane gets lighter it is more affected by the payload because it becomes a bigger percentage of the total so may benefit from some adjustment.

From a test point of view it needs to be a worse case situation which would be max load/low preload/rate to cover all options but that does not allow me to take advantage of good suspension to reduce the loads into the airframe and make the structure lighter in fact you would get better results from no suspension for the test.

I have noticed when flying the Dragon something which the passage of time has dimmed from the memory and that is the effect of load on flight. You can almost tell how much fuel you are carrying by how many revs you need.
        I have been spoilt for too long by the Shadow where the effect is only really noticed when leaving the ground.

When the load can equal the weight of the plane and change by a big percentage my mind tells me to take that into consideration.
        Am I being too fussy. Will it not make any difference?
        My solution will probably be to fly only with a FBFO policy but to maximise the weight reduction in the components I still need to test it.

FBFO fat * * off
        Mick Broom
        Member 909
        Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Working...
        X