NGK Spark plugs - graded plug chart

Very useful data Mick.

Comment

Thanks Mick.
      Dave

Comment

You Old boys will know this already but for those who have yet to be enlightened or are moving up from a Rotax 912 to real flying and getting away from the expensive special plug items you are used having to buy.

When you buy your plug from the corner shop for your plane, try and find an old boy in a shed who used to run bikes and ask if he has any really old plugs in the corner. Ask for the terminal.

The early plugs had steel terminals which when screwed on with some pliers are just the same as the special solid screw tops costing just a touch more.

You don't want alloy caps because the vibration and corrosion will get them.

If you find a really old man in a shed it gets even better because the very early caps were made of brass.

SSDR service tip
        Mick Broom
        Member 909
        Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Mick Broom wrote: You Old boys will know this already but for those who have yet to be enlightened or are moving up from a Rotax 912 to real flying and getting away from the expensive special plug items you are used having to buy.
          Skydrive were selling 8 plugs for the 912 pre-gapped for 30 at exhibitions. Bargain. Check the bike shops and see if you can better that?

Comment

SkyDrive is a very good place to go for a lot of things and its got better since the Rotax exit for this lighter end of the market.

One thing with them that you don't get elsewhere is the knowledge which is priceless.

But I would point out that a set of 912 plugs however cheap from SkyDrive would bugger the thread on the polini.
            Mick Broom
            Member 909
            Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Just come across this on the NGK website.

http://ngkntk.co.uk/wp-content/uploa...rcycle-Cat.pdf

I have been using NGK BR8EIX Iridium plugs since March, for over 130 hours in my 503, and it hasn't missed a beat. Just cleaned them a few times, although they seem to stay fairly clean on their own. This is a design feature of these very small tipped plugs. They give a more concentrated spark and are supposed to make starting easier and produce smoother running. Mine is certainly humming.

Comment

Nice find Adrian.
                Dave

Comment

Hi,

I can confirm the same results in the 503 with over two years use from the iridium plugs with no bother.

They still carbon up if you run them rich or cold as I have found in the Polini but still work, with the Shadow carburation more sorted I just take them out because you are supposed to then put them back in.

Depending on the vibration frequency you do still need to change the caps for non alloy ones and make sure they are tight.

Also a good synthetic low smoke oil helps with a lean mix in the petrol which is best achieved with the oil injection system on a Rotax

I think my first link does not work now.
                  Mick Broom
                  Member 909
                  Shadow G-MWTN

Comment

Working...
                  X