Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another 24hr outage? Worst managed forum ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 24hr outage? Worst managed forum ever!

per title.

I thought it was just me ...
    Anyone know what's going on?
    John

Comment

That's a bit harsh for what is shirley an almost voluntarily overseen chatter site for us, these kindly folk doubtless have a life outside this little clique.

i.e.Mostly we with nothing better to do read it and of course those with the perpetual urge to offer us their wisdom - mea culpe !

Happy Christmas,

mike hallam.

Comment

I agree with Paul - we had forum outage a year or so ago and I asked the question - who do we contact if we notice that the forum is inoperational given that there doesn't appear to be any monitoring. And I didn't get a response.. who (technically) supports it? Since then we have had several outages all of them passing without mention either with DB timeouts (like yesterday) or having run out of space

Comment

Given the low level of participation from council members - whether voluntary or enforced - it cant be a surprise that maintaining the forum is a low priority. With a few honourable exception the majority of council members never post on here. I suppose they feel that they dont need input from the members to help inform and guide their opinions. Mind you, I gather that there is a private council members only forum, so I suppose they are all spending their time on there discussing weighty issues of the day.

Comment

I would be prepared to technically manage the forum if there is noone else either able to do it or wanting to do it. I already support other services so it's no big deal

Comment

Yes it went down for a while, I just went onto the "other" site and then re read the BMAA mag ....simples........what's the boggle?

Comment

I would suggest you contact Bob Perrin. Otherwise contact Deddington. At a guess ;o)

(Did I not say just that a year or so ago..?)

Gwyn Carwardine wrote: I agree with Paul - we had forum outage a year or so ago and I asked the question - who do we contact if we notice that the forum is inoperational given that there doesn't appear to be any monitoring. And I didn't get a response.. who (technically) supports it? Since then we have had several outages all of them passing without mention either with DB timeouts (like yesterday) or having run out of space

Comment

If you're going to provide a service then manage it. It's not hard. Just requires someone to do it (and I'm voluteering so no excuses there)

I often forget that I'm dealing with people from all sorts of backgrounds on here. I've always worked in large corporate environments and where Service Management has been employed (where any downtime might affect 10,000 users and cost 250k/day). Others on here and within the BMAA will not have had that exposure to that sort of discipline and rigour. Of course the BMAA forum is not an important system but once you've acquired that discipline you apply it even to the smallest of services,.

Comment

John, you're a concil member, right? (or were a year ago). So I would anticipate that your response would be "yes, we could do better - leave it with me and I'll take it up with the right person and see if anything can be done. Thanks for the offer we might get back to you". Especially as it's easy. Again, corporate / professional discipline.

John Moore (1595) said...
                    I would suggest you contact Bob Perrin. Otherwise contact Deddington. At a guess ;o)

(Did I not say just that a year or so ago..?)

Gwyn Carwardine said...
                    I agree with Paul - we had forum outage a year or so ago and I asked the question - who do we contact if we notice that the forum is inoperational given that there doesn't appear to be any monitoring. And I didn't get a response.. who (technically) supports it? Since then we have had several outages all of them passing without mention either with DB timeouts (like yesterday) or having run out of space

Comment

? your question was "Who do we contact if we notice that the forum is in operational.." I gave the answer.

Comment

As the forum moderator please contact me direct if the forum goes down.

All forums go down occasionally and ours is no exception.

I appreciate your offer to help Gwyn and I will keep that in mind. At the moment we have free hosting and are being looked after by their technical people who give us a very good service and don't charge us.

Anyway, the world is due to end today so we only need to keep the forum running for the next few hours.

Ewe avterrr larf
                        Best Regards

Bob
                        Ewe avterrr larf

Comment

Sorry John - I read it as that's who to contact about the forum being unavailable as a repeating problem. HAve now contacted Bob.

John Moore (1595) said...
                          ? your question was "Who do we contact if we notice that the forum is in operational.." I gave the answer.

Comment

Lighten up you frumps; did we miss anything? No, Bah humbug, Merry Christmas.

John

Comment

Gwyn Carwardine wrote: I would be prepared to technically manage the forum if there is noone else either able to do it or wanting to do it. I already support other services so it's no big deal
                              I'm prepared to help too - if as a result of providing forum support Gwyn was unable to buy his round at the club meet I would buy it for him provided he had furnished the funds in advance.

Are we saying that forum admins (not mods) are not BMAA people, but from the hosting company?

Another reason to love the ease of phpBB3....

Comment

Working...
                              X