Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverted Fuji Robin - Starting

Dear all,

I have a Robin engine, inverted instalation and it suffered greatly in respect to starting from cold after a short (day) lay off (plugs and cylinders swimming in fuel - only way to get started was to remove the plugs and turn the engine over to expel the excess fuel), however, I have now completely cured this problem - I have fitted a fuel line quick release connector in the fuel feed (SSDR) and after flying I disconnect the fuel supply (which due to the quick release connector self seals).

On wanting to restart operations I re-connect the fuel supply, prime the float chambers (bulb pump) and apply choke (here's a difference between Rotax 447 and Robin) - I do not pull the engine through with ignition off (always necessary on the Rotax) but simply switch on and within 2 pulls the engine is running.

Regards
    Paul

Inverted Fuji Robin - Starting

Neat solution though would not a fuel cut off value work for the same effect?

The inverted Robin twin on the old Panther I had worked fine on fuel tap cut off to prevent petrol form the tank above engine whcih seemed to have sufficient head to syphon flood the carbs while sitting if not closed off (inability of float cutoffs to hold against constant pressure head)

And I agree the start procedure was as you note works for a fuji but not the rotax - and the only issue was that more than 24 hours sitting and plugs still needed dropping to clear the oil (not fuel) sitting in the plugs that had drained down.

For me the essential toolkit for any inverted two stroke is a tube spanner for the plugs ... and a spare set of plugs.

Comment

Fuel tap would work fine - just remember to open it for flight (never like moving the valve [just in case]).

I have achieved almost instant starting with the procedure described and that's with having left the machine standing for over a month!

I think it 'all boils down' to getting to know 'your' engine.

Paul

Comment

I suppose the quick release is a very positive way of ensuring no fuel can get into the carb when stored, whereas a fuel tap might just leak. Even a tiny leak would give the symptoms described.

Dave

Comment

Most people i know that have robin engines have 2 sets of plugs one for leaving in the plug holes for parking/storage and the other for normal running just a pain having to swap plugs every time

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X