503 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 503 ?

Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a 503 LC ? If so . What does it mean ? As apposed to DCDI ?

503 ?

Mike Gregory wrote: Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a 503 LC ? If so . What does it mean ? As apposed to DCDI ?
    DCDI = Dual Capacitive Discharge Ignition, IIRC.

Comment

503 ?

Hi Steve that was quick . Yeh but what about LC ??

Comment

503 ?

Rotax usually use LC to indicate Liquid Cooled ........ but the 503 is free-air or fan cooled !

Comment

503 ?

Hi Alan . Ah ok thankyou . Just a bit puzzled at seeing an ad on afors for a plane with a 503 LC ? Bit odd . Thanks anyway
          Mike

Comment

503 ?

Using Google I find that you can buy pistons etc for a snowmobile fitted with a Safari Rotax 503 LC engine from 1986 - 1994.

No details on the engine though as to whether air or liquid cooled.

Confused.com :smhair:

Comment

503 ?

Ah . Ok Allen thanks . Just my curiosity . Thanks again
              Mike

Comment

503 ?

Anyone know much about 532 watercooled ? I didn't think there was any 503 watercooled used in aircraft ?

Comment

503 ?

Hi Mike,

If it's a permit plane then you should be able to back track from the TADS/HADS.

Anything else is a major mod.

Also worth cross checking what G-INFO says is installed.

Pm me a link to the plane ad?

Comment

503 ?

462 532 582 water cooled, 447 503 air cooled sometimes fan assisted. 503 with single ignition single carb was quite common. adding a second carb and very small amount of fiddling upped the power noticably but never heard of an aircraft with a water cooled 503

Comment

503 ?

Likely to be a mixed up person - LC was used within the designation of the 462 and stood for Liquid Cooled as noted.
                      No 503 is liquid cooled not even those in skidoos and the like.

DCDI as noted is "Dual CDI" and relates to the number and type of spark ignition ... for the 447 in late production only SCDI is available and is "Single CDI"

In addition all current production rotax engines have the UL suffix eg 503 UL DCDI and that comes in free air or fan cooled just to add to the variety.

In the past (pre mod99) the 582 engine could be requested with two versions with high torque/low power and revs or high power and peaky torque - these were discontinued in general use - but these were the HP aand LP versions.

And of course if its a UK microlight the HADS/TADS will tell all on what is supposed to be on the aircraft ... unless its a one off mod and then you will have to refer to the paperwork for the actual aircraft but first impression of your question is that the person posting the ad has mistyped

Comment

503 ?

Thanks guys . Well ginfo says it's 503 & as its a 94 year Rans , so I guess it could be single carb type . Cheers all

Comment

503 ?

503 LC. Means low compression ? Good or not good ? Single carb etc ?

Comment

503 ?

Not necsarrily - the 503 has always had as an option 1 or 2 carbs even on the breaker points ignition models and its not part of the model designation.

Mike Gregory wrote:
                            Thanks guys . Well ginfo says it's 503 & as its a 94 year Rans , so I guess it could be single carb type . Cheers all

Comment

503 ?

Maybe just finger trouble and he meant TC.
                              "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickjaxe/videos.

Comment

Working...
                              X